Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Adding Tallboy Handlebars

Old 12-23-2018, 08:47 AM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Adding Tallboy Handlebars

I have a 16 TG and am looking at getting some Tallboy handlebars. I looked at them at Sturgis this year. They had them setup at the Harley tent where you could switch out bars to see which ones you like. I'm only 5'9", but they seemed really comfortable. May have to pull them back slightly toward me, but that's no big deal. My main question is about heated grips. I have them now and I don't know if they can be moved to the Tallboy bars when they are installed. HD Service guy says yes, HD website looks like no. I am not that stuck on moving them to the new bars. If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't have bought them. They are helpful in cold weather, but I have heated gloves that are far more helpful and cheaper in the long run if you figure in the cost of getting the heated grips installed. I would also have to buy new grips if they can't be moved. Has anyone moved their heated grips to Tallboys from stock handlebars? And, how do you like the Tallboys (stating your height with it would be appreciated)? Thank you.

Last edited by bagger51; 12-23-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:57 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Not sure what the Tallboys are but I put 12" kst sixbenders on my 16 Triglide and didn't have to change any wires i am 5'6" with short arms and really like the position now. As far as switching your heated grips if they work on the bars you have now they should work on the Tallboys. How tall are you talking because over 12" and you will have to put wire extensions and longer brake and clutch lines.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:11 AM
bagger51
Cruiser

The Tallboys are at this link:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...lboy-handlebar

I checked and the stock bars have a 10" rise. The Tallboys have a 11.17" rise so I should be okay on cables (I hope). Thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Might get the wire extensions, only around 30.00 at dealer and sure make it easier to install the bars.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:31 PM
sstan
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Those are good looking bars. Let us know how the onstall goes and how you like them. Your heated grips should fit fine. Good luck.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:15 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

I moved the dealer-installed heated grips from the stock bars to a set of Ergo Backs, and then on to a set of Krome Werks Narrow Sweepers with no problems, although I did extend the power lead a couple of inches to make wiring easier. I also added the controls extensions, 6" long, just to make running the wires easier, too.

Do be careful with the connector on the end of the right side grip, it would be fairly easy to muck it up.

They're still nice to have just to pop them on once in a while to get your circulation going on long trips or if you get some unexpected sprinkles.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:09 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

I can’t comment on your primary question about the heated grips as I have never had them, but I have had the Tallboy bars for a year and they are great. Their primary benefit is the grip angle which is awesome. My only wish is that they would be about 2” taller for me since I am 6’6”, but they are a distinct improvement over stock.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 AM
Jd1a
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Look up Apes on a Trike in this forum.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 AM
bagger51
Cruiser
Default Update-Got the bars

I got the bars installed and thought I would update the Group. Ended up with LA Choppers 12" mini-apes. Rode yesterday and I really like them. Just what I was looking for. I was able to keep my heated grips. Also have better vision in my rear view mirrors. Install was about $800 at dealer. Some pics;

These are bars I got.

Looks like this. Before is on the left.

Side view-before is on the left.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:25 PM
sstan
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Good looking bars! Did you go with poly bushings too?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Tallboy Handlebars