Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Reflective tape and driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 04:25 PM
sstan
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
That is what I said people do get away with . But like many things some get nailed if for no other reason than it is an excuse to stop you . I do not agree with never enough lights. There is a point it does some harm.
Flashing tail lights are not legal everywhere . I was stopped in Chicago for my BAL. No ticket a polite conversation with a LEO. He left with more question then he had answers when he stopped me.
That is why we end up with so many silly laws someone always has to push it one more level. That was how we ended up with the 4 white lights forward law. Jeeps and 4X4 adding and running big light bars on the street.
The rear of mine is Has lights , 100% with in the law and the front as well.
i was interested in the DK stealth spotlights and after reading this, I checked on California light laws. It looks like adding the stealth spots would make my bike against the law. Here’s how it reads...
Thoughts?

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time: (1) Headlamps. (2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps. (3) Fog lamps. (4) Warning lamps. (5) Spot lamps. (6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.

(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by sstan

i was interested in the DK stealth spotlights and after reading this, I checked on California light laws. It looks like adding the stealth spots would make my bike against the law. Here’s how it reads...
Thoughts?

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time: (1) Headlamps. (2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps. (3) Fog lamps. (4) Warning lamps. (5) Spot lamps. (6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.

(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.

Headlight is #1
Factory Passing Lights are a pair, so they are #2
Stealth LED Driving Lights are a pair, so they are #3

You could still have 1 more pair after that.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
BinIdaho (01-04-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:42 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Headlight is #1
Factory Passing Lights are a pair, so they are #2
Stealth LED Driving Lights are a pair, so they are #3

You could still have 1 more pair after that.
I think your reading that wrong. Light like RG head light may count as 1. But ditch lights one right one left is two lights. As would be a light on engine guard on right and left. A the turn signals with a bunch of LEds that are white when not flashing for a turn count as two on each side not each little LED. By law this bike has 3 white lights displayed to the front. The head lights counts as one unit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ppu1wr]

Last edited by smitty901; 12-28-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:06 AM
neon65
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The way I read it is a pair = 2 (which equals 1) according to law quoted.

Factory Passing Lights are a pair, so they = 1
Stealth LED Driving Lights are a pair, so they = 1
Add in the headlight either single or dual = 1

That leaves you with one more "pair" you can add.
Just my opinion.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:24 AM
sstan
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I was confused when I read the law. It seems like they are only considering a pair = 1 light for headlamps (headlights) like the RG. If that hadn’t been called out as a exception I could get my head around arguing it for spots and passing lights.

I really wanted the extra light of the spots too but am now torn.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:15 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by sstan
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I was confused when I read the law. It seems like they are only considering a pair = 1 light for headlamps (headlights) like the RG. If that hadn’t been called out as a exception I could get my head around arguing it for spots and passing lights.

I really wanted the extra light of the spots too but am now torn.

Well, I would never read it as a pair of driving lights being anything but a pair, and it says a pair is counted as 1 lamp, BUT, you never know how a lawyer or government agency might think.

THE IMPORTANT thing is that we have hundreds of folks IN California that have purchased these from us. We hear from our Customers all the time, and if one of them had had a problem with running them I am sure they would have let us know. We have had zero reports of any issues with folks running these in Cali.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:14 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Back in the previous century, in the 1979s, before halogen lights were standard on motorcycles, it was recommended to run high beams. Today it is only blinding on coming drivers and making it difficult for them to judge your speed and distance. Plus it is just rude and arrogant, screaming " I'm more important than you".

If you are that afraid, sell you bike or trike and buy a cage.
Lol. Ok I'll do just that.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:27 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

We did the OP a disservice. He also ask about reflective tape. I have never seen a law governing the use of it anywhere. What I have seen is laws requiring reflectors on the side and stating a minimum , never a maximum. You also see them recommending the use of reflective riding gear. I would think you could do the whole bike in the tape if you wanted. They make some really good stuff now. Even the clothing. The Jacket I wear has reflective material butlook at in the normal use you would never know it. Light hits it at night and it looks like it is a light.
Another option is ground effect lighting. legal in Wisconsin with a few restrictions.on colors.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aYqo43]

Old 12-29-2018, 12:41 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
We did the OP a disservice. He also ask about reflective tape. I have never seen a law governing the use of it anywhere. What I have seen is laws requiring reflectors on the side and stating a minimum , never a maximum. You also see them recommending the use of reflective riding gear. I would think you could do the whole bike in the tape if you wanted. They make some really good stuff now. Even the clothing. The Jacket I wear has reflective material butlook at in the normal use you would never know it. Light hits it at night and it looks like it is a light.
Another option is ground effect lighting. legal in Wisconsin with a few restrictions.on colors.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aYqo43]
I know in New Jersey. Reflective tape is mandatory on the helmet. And is part of the bike inspection. Yep, your bike can fail inspection if your helmet does not have the required minimum of reflective tape. At least that's how it was years back.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:41 PM
MrMikeFish
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I have highly reflective tape on the back of my helmet. I guess it's a carry over from my riding days in NY where it was required by law. Plus.....it's an eye level eye catcher for those approaching from your rear.

Quick Reply: Reflective tape and driving lights