Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Reflective tape and driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Czaidan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflective tape and driving lights

So I got my new (to me) TG a week ago, and am really enjoying it. I've never ridden with headlights *and* spot lights, or I guess they're called running lights. Small lights located on a bar above my turn signals (I'll get a pic soon and post if that's not clear).
Is it legal to drive with them at night in Texas? When I have my hi-beams on, they don't work and saw here there's a software update for that, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.
So basically at night I could have three lights in front instead of just one and these suckers are pretty damn bright.
Also, does anyone here in Texas know if reflective tape on my rims is legal? I can't find anything specific in the law about rims, however reflective tape everywhere else seems to be okay.
Me, I just think it looks cool on a spinning tire.
Thanks in advance for all your input!

Old 12-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

No nothing about the reflective tape laws.
your dealer can flash your ECM that will let your passing lamps to stay on with high beams.
most have done this and it’s very helpful at night...more lights the better.

The following users liked this post:
Czaidan (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 04:55 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I run with every light on I have. All day I run with my high beams on. At night they're off if theres traffic. Get the flash and ran all your lights all the time. Bright lights not loud pipes will help save a life.

The following 2 users liked this post by RFG7680:
Czaidan (12-25-2018), GTK (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 10:11 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

[QUOTE=RFG;17913122 . Bright lights not loud pipes will help save a life.[/QUOTE]

Very true

Old 12-25-2018, 03:26 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Many States have a law against the high-beams being on when your ditch lights are on. That is why they are program not to in the ecm. People do get away with it . before it was in the ECM some just rewired the lights. My 1996 Fb has a hidden switch that over rides the high beams not working with ditch light. That is how some dealers installed them back then.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Many States have a law against the high-beams being on when your ditch lights are on. That is why they are program not to in the ecm. People do get away with it . before it was in the ECM some just rewired the lights. My 1996 Fb has a hidden switch that over rides the high beams not working with ditch light. That is how some dealers installed them back then.
maybe true but texting while driving, drinking while driving, sex while driving...all illegal but people do it and get away with up....

Old 12-26-2018, 08:08 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I'm all about Seeing and Being Seen.

I run the headlight, factory passing lights, Stealth Driving Lights, LED Running/Turn Signals, Tour Pak Filler Run Brake Turn Lights & Mud Flap R-B-T Lights.

Don't know about the reflective tape question.

But I can definitely see where I'm going, and if anyone out there driving is even vaguely paying attention to the road, they definitely see me.

Here are a couple of pics of me leaving work one night last week-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-27-2018, 10:12 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

More light is good light.

CD Lighted windshield bar w/turn signals, Cirius LEDs on the crash bar canted out 30 degrees, Custom Dynamics turn signals, homemade LEDs in the vent (they fire sideways = forward), driving lights flashed on with high beam.

Lighted areowings and rack, Superbright tail lights, custom LED bar across below the bumper.

Under Bumper light bar assembly detail

These are side-firing LEDs, so they aren't seen from anywhere but directly behind, but they point UP towards the tour pack, which reflects them as a bunch of little bright dots on it; but when you look, there aren't any lights there!

A little better view of the back end (video).
Video of LEDs added

Old 12-27-2018, 12:28 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper

maybe true but texting while driving, drinking while driving, sex while driving...all illegal but people do it and get away with up....
That is what I said people do get away with . But like many things some get nailed if for no other reason than it is an excuse to stop you . I do not agree with never enough lights. There is a point it does some harm.
Flashing tail lights are not legal everywhere . I was stopped in Chicago for my BAL. No ticket a polite conversation with a LEO. He left with more question then he had answers when he stopped me.
That is why we end up with so many silly laws someone always has to push it one more level. That was how we ended up with the 4 white lights forward law. Jeeps and 4X4 adding and running big light bars on the street.
The rear of mine is Has lights , 100% with in the law and the front as well.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cceDie] [url=https://flic.kr/p/2aYqmgL]

Last edited by smitty901; 12-27-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
I run with every light on I have. All day I run with my high beams on. At night they're off if theres traffic. Get the flash and ran all your lights all the time. Bright lights not loud pipes will help save a life.
Back in the previous century, in the 1979s, before halogen lights were standard on motorcycles, it was recommended to run high beams. Today it is only blinding on coming drivers and making it difficult for them to judge your speed and distance. Plus it is just rude and arrogant, screaming " I'm more important than you".

If you are that afraid, sell you bike or trike and buy a cage.

Quick Reply: Reflective tape and driving lights