Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Heated Grips for my 2018 Trike Ultra Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:00 PM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Heated Grips for my 2018 Trike Ultra Questions

I purchased the H.D. MoCo Airflow Head Hand Grips part # 56100253, with every intention to install them myself with wiring inside the Handle Bars. I just noticed in the H.D Catalog and in trying to decipher the H.D. Instructions that they ARE NOT FOR USE WITH INTERNALLY WIRED HANDLEBARS and further that Touring and Trike Models require an Electrical Connection Kit. I have looked at the You Tube Video's online and it would appear that the Heated Grips would work and that it doesn't really look like an extra Electrical Connection Kit should be required!?!? Just NOT sure. The H.D. Grip Kit comes with a Fused Power Lead connected and from the Videos, it appears this is not even needed!?!?!

Anyone have experience with wiring the HD Heated Grips on a 2018 Trike Ultra. I have not even opened the Packaging yet. I have removed the Batwing Fairing and wiring connectors are present for connecting the Grip Wiring.

Sure could use some advice or knowledge from someone who has done this install.

GARY

Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 PM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It can be done. My Freewheeler has heated grips. The clutch side was run externally. The throttle side is just plug and play. The tech notched the clutch switch cover to run the wire out down the handle bar. Simple install. Connects to the accessory connector under seat. You may have to buy the Y connector if you are already using the switched connector

Last edited by 52edub; 01-07-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Old Road Toad
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed heated grips on a 17 and 19 trike, both ran internal on clutch side. Not sure about the grips you have, mine were the plain ones around $200. I did not need any extra parts to do the job, just pluged inside the fairing on both sides and done. Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 PM
ggadwa
Tourer
Default Heated Grips for my 2018 Trike Ultra

Originally Posted by Old Road Toad
I have installed heated grips on a 17 and 19 trike, both ran internal on clutch side. Not sure about the grips you have, mine were the plain ones around $200. I did not need any extra parts to do the job, just pluged inside the fairing on both sides and done. Hope this helps.
Road Toad...
You have been the BEST help from several sources of inquires....I needed to know before I even opened the Packaging of the H.D. Air Flow Heated Grips. I did not want to have to buy an Extra Additional Wiring Kit nor did I want to do External Wiring. Now I'm excited to tackle the job. I already had the Batwing front off and found the two connectors but have been spooked by the H.D. MoCo Feedback.....They are no help at all. I assume you are happy with the Heated Grips. I had aftermarket Heated Grips on my last Harley......Hope these are better and hope they will be durable.

Again Thanks for your Positive Feedback,
Gary

Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I had the adjustable Heli-bars installed on my '18 Tri-Glide and at the same time I had the H-D Kahuna style, heated grips installed but the Heli-bars are not designed for internal wiring so that made things much easier.
The "conduit" on the later model H-D's has a glossy appearance which looks pretty good.
I was prepared to purchase the chrome, flexible conduit if the OEM stuff was ugly but I got lucky.

I also have a CVO-Ultra and once you get used to heated grips, gloves and seat it's hard to NOT have those luxuries.
I've wired my Tri-Glide for my heated gloves and just got my seat rebuilt (with dual heat) at MCC.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Old Road Toad
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the Harley stock heated grips on my last 3 bikes, never had a problem with any of them. Remove the ignition switch, loosen the two screws on either side of the plastic cover, it's clipped to the inner fairing Take the turn signal's off, unclip the wires and set them aside. Loosen the fairing bolts on both sides, lift up the fairing and move it forward. Remove the screws on the clutch switch cover, be careful it was a little hard to take off for me, loosen the clutch perch screws enough to twist or cut the grip off. Now your ready to install the new grips. Fish some weed wacker line in the left side bar to fish the wires through and plug them in. Reassemble the clutch perch over the new grip, be careful to orientate it to the right position and tighten it all up, left side is now done. Take off the right side brake perch, remove the old grip. Pop off the plastic end cap, slide new grip on, put plug in throttle sensor, snap cap back on and reassemble brake perch, that's it for the install. Don't turn on the ignition to test the new grips if the turn signals aren't plugged in, you will through codes.

This is a brief glide but it should be enough to get the job done, hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 AM
ggadwa
Tourer
Default Heated Grips for my 2018 Trike Ultra

Well, I jumped in and started to install my Airflow Heated Grips part #56100253 with some great positive advice from previous comments. I promptly found out by opening the H.D. packaging that the Grips I purchased do not work on the 2018 Trike Ultra. The connectors and the main power lead DO NOT lend themselves to Internal Bar applications and do not connect to the Trike wiring. The Trike like other late model Touring Bikes have two connectors in the lower front of the Batwing for direct plug and play. I am going to return the Air Flow Heated Grips and get the Black Rubber Heated Grips part #56100034 which DO work for internal wiring on the 2018 Trike Ultra.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by ggadwa
Well, I jumped in and started to install my Airflow Heated Grips part #56100253 with some great positive advice from previous comments. I promptly found out by opening the H.D. packaging that the Grips I purchased do not work on the 2018 Trike Ultra. The connectors and the main power lead DO NOT lend themselves to Internal Bar applications and do not connect to the Trike wiring. The Trike like other late model Touring Bikes have two connectors in the lower front of the Batwing for direct plug and play. I am going to return the Air Flow Heated Grips and get the Black Rubber Heated Grips part #56100034 which DO work for internal wiring on the 2018 Trike Ultra.
Sorry to hear that...I was beginning to think I had given your bad info in the PM. Now you know and can get some that will work with the internal wiring.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-23-2019, 04:04 AM
hdroadkingdavid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ggadwa
I purchased the H.D. MoCo Airflow Head Hand Grips part # 56100253, with every intention to install them myself with wiring inside the Handle Bars. I just noticed in the H.D Catalog and in trying to decipher the H.D. Instructions that they ARE NOT FOR USE WITH INTERNALLY WIRED HANDLEBARS and further that Touring and Trike Models require an Electrical Connection Kit. I have looked at the You Tube Video's online and it would appear that the Heated Grips would work and that it doesn't really look like an extra Electrical Connection Kit should be required!?!? Just NOT sure. The H.D. Grip Kit comes with a Fused Power Lead connected and from the Videos, it appears this is not even needed!?!?!

Anyone have experience with wiring the HD Heated Grips on a 2018 Trike Ultra. I have not even opened the Packaging yet. I have removed the Batwing Fairing and wiring connectors are present for connecting the Grip Wiring.

Sure could use some advice or knowledge from someone who has done this install.

GARY

The following users liked this post:
Cagmo (01-28-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:45 AM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Those Air Flow grips would have worked for your bike. Did you buy the electrical connection update kit like it states in the Fitment Guide? "'17-later Touring and Trike models require Electrical Connection Kit P/N 69201599".

Quick Reply: Heated Grips for my 2018 Trike Ultra Questions