Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Just thought I'd ask this question:
Given the cost of the electric reverse motor, IF someone chose NOT to have an ESP (any brand) do you think the investment in a mechanical reverse upgrade be a good idea/investment?
I've yet to use my reverse once due to years of pulling trailers (via car/truck and bike) I instinctively park only where I can pull-thru and do not need to back up or out.
I know a lot of guys that have gone with a mechanical reverse. IMO they are better, certainly more reliable. However, installing one may void other parts of your warranty. The reason I have never installed one is that the electric one comes with the bike at no extra cost, works great, and when it quits working, I get a new one at no cost, since I have a warranty.

If I had a Trike with no warranty and the reverse went out, I would install a mechanical rather than replace the electric.

btw, some of us, due to a variety of circumstances, have no choice but to use the reverse or to push it backwards at times.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 01-17-2019 at 08:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Cagmo (02-26-2019), jb071599 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 AM
jb071599
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks breeze, just something I am looking into based upon all the electronics on touring bikes.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:01 AM
jb071599
Novice

thanks bro, that's one of my thoughts as well.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:07 AM
jb071599
Novice

thanks bro, planning on having the bike for many years. With the new changes for the model year '19 and all of the electronics it is something I am considering.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:29 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrafxr

I don’t think the ESP companies are reliability experts any more than vehicle insurers are driving experts. They are just working with the law of large numbers and pricing accordingly. Like was said the high mileage owners have a better chance of recouping the cost of the ESP. Lots of riders do so only occasionally and put few miles on their machines.
Oh, oops. Did I forget to mention that I managed a product development organization. And one of the groups that reported to me did warranty administration, and they were expected to return a 30% profit? You are playing a gamble with the averages. So, do:what makes you feel good. But, the pricing is set so that the organization offering the warranty makes a good margin. Of course if you have no cash reserves, and can’t save and cover an unexpected low probability failure...then buy/an ESP and sleep better.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2013 Tri-Glide....the ESP has more than paid for itself. Just negotiated a 3-yr ESP with local dealer. I don't work on my TG, so the ESP is a requirement for me....plus I do a lot of riding and racking up miles each year.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 PM
harley roadking
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Warranty

Originally Posted by jb071599
I am currently in the process of shopping for a new bike. I have decided to move forward with the 2019 Tri Glide. Any thoughts or recommendations on the Extended Service Plan with Harley or go aftermarket. Thanks

Prices not including labor. (not a good picture,taken at dealership)

Old 02-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Capt. Bob
Cruiser
Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

I hate to say this having owned a bunch of new and used Harleys over the years, but the reliability just does not seem to be sound enough IMO to warrant going without a factory supported ESP. I remember selling my 2000 Road King Evo that I purchased new and at 5,000 miles it started making a "ticking" sound in the upper end and running just slightly rough and the dealer telling me that they all ran this way and that it was "normal". We later learned that there were engine issues that the MOCO was not talking about at the time. With random issues like sumping and/or oil pump failures going on where we are talking about $7-8K M8 engines being involved, it just seems prudent to have the MOCO benefit from the strength in numbers in terms of out of manufacturer's two-year warranty claims to hopefully dodge any real expensive bullets in terms of failures to expensive sub-components. I have eaten hundreds of dollars each time turning in unused ESP warranties because I have been migrating to newer trikes every couple of years but realize that at some point, I am going to keep the trike I am on for longer than just under two years and do not want to face large expenses for some of the more "balky" components that seem to randomly show up on these relatively complex machines.

Last edited by Capt. Bob; 02-24-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

If you buy an Extended warranty then change the exhaust it voids the engine warranty.
If you don't put Harley brake pads on it can void the brake warranty.
If you change the cam to a custom or other than factory it voids the warranty.Unless Harley installs an approved cam for your machine.
Your dealer might tell you that won't happen, but that is just at his shop. Not any other dealer according to MOCO. In fact the MOCO sent a letter of instruction to all the dealers to not warranty things even in the home shop that made that promise.
So that leaves the bottom line that anything changed to anything not authorized by Harley kiss your warranty goodby ! That even includes anything that might fit your machine, if not approved by Harley as a fit for your machine will void warranty. Many parts will fit the TriGlide that also fits other motorcycles. But if Harley hasn't approved that part for the Trike, it is an UN-AUTHORIZED PART !
Keep this in mind while you purchase that ESP. Most extended warranty are by other carriers but follow MOCO's guidelines.

Last edited by sloufoot; 02-25-2019 at 02:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Capt. Bob (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:33 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

A friend just told me that DiscountESP has special sale on the price of their extended warranty until the end of this month (February.
If you're "sitting on the fence" and trying to decide about buying an extended warranty you need to think about this and act pretty quickly if you want to save a few bucks!

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 02-25-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty