Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:09 PM
jb071599
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

I am currently in the process of shopping for a new bike. I have decided to move forward with the 2019 Tri Glide. Any thoughts or recommendations on the Extended Service Plan with Harley or go aftermarket. Thanks

Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,517 Likes on 6,888 Posts

Depends, you will get a lot of thoughts and I am sure some recommendations. My thought is that if it does not break or get recalled in the two year warranty that Harley provides then it is not going to break. Of course I put at least 20,000 miles on a bike during the 2 year warranty period. Cost of the extended warranty would probably pay for repairs if something went wrong. Extended warranty's are a money maker for HD , car manufacturers and I expect aftermarket sellers.
it in
My main comeback when asked by a dealer if I want and extended warranty and they use scare tactics on what stuff will cost to repair is: "so your telling me that after the initial warranty is up that I will have an inferior product that was manufactured by your company?" If I cannot break it during the initial 2 year warranty period it probably is not going to break. If it does then I repair it or pay to have it repaired.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,162 Likes on 3,518 Posts

Put the money you'd spend on an extended warranty plan into an account. If you need that money later on for unforeseen repairs, use it. If you don't, you now have money in your pocket.

Extended warranties are designed to take your money and generate profit for the company. Don't do it.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM
ultrafxr
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

My experience with Harleys have all been models with Twin Cam motors from '99 to '12 model years and the reliability has not been good. Problems with compensators, starters, cam bearings, lifters were the major issues. But some electronics such as a wiring harness that caused a problem with the intercom system were not mechanical problems. I now have an '18 TG which of course has the newer M8 motor so I do hope it is more reliable. But I don't want to chance it and even though I never ever purchase service contracts for any other product I personally wouldn't own a Harley with an ESP contract. I suggest you check out Discount ESP which is a division of Boardtracker H-D dealership - www.discountesp.com They are much cheaper than the Harley sponsored ESP and my dealer has no problem accepting them and I don't think other dealers would either.

The following users liked this post:
jb071599 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I think it all depends on how many miles you ride annually and how long you intend to keep your trike.

I have a '13 CVO Ultra that will be under the ESP until September, 2019.
The only repair that I have had under the ESP has been a voltage regulator (maybe a $300 job) and had to have the radio rebuilt (probably a $800) job, so I'm a little behind vs the cost of the warranty but anything could go wrong with my bike even though I take excellent care of it.

I'm "on the fence" about the warranty (H-D ESP or an aftermarket brand) for my '18 Tri-Glide.
With the newer machines, you can't do much to the engine or exhaust system without voiding the warranty and with the aftermarket brands, a "pre-approval" is needed before any shop (dealer or indy) commences any repairs.
I did get the FULL (including tire and wheel) warranty on the CVO mainly because of the chrome mag wheels but I'm pondering if I need that on the Tri-Glide.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:55 AM
ultrafxr
Cruiser

H-D’s ESP also requires pre-approval and that’s something the dealership should know and do.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I've owned two Tri Glides. Both with extended warranties. Both warranties have more than paid for themselves. A common issue with the Trikes is the reverse going out. That is a $1000+ repair.

But it does depend on how many miles you intend on riding, conditions, etc.

Lots of electronics on these trikes that are not repairable...pull and replace. It can get expensive fast.

In the long run the companies selling them make $ because more often than not they collect more premiums than they pay out in repairs.

Generally the high mileage riders are the ones that beat the odds and get more work done than they paid out in premiums.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Garage666 (12-10-2021), jb071599 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:41 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I've owned two Tri Glides. Both with extended warranties. Both warranties have more than paid for themselves. A common issue with the Trikes is the reverse going out. That is a $1000+ repair.

But it does depend on how many miles you intend on riding, conditions, etc.

Lots of electronics on these trikes that are not repairable...pull and replace. It can get expensive fast.

In the long run the companies selling them make $ because more often than not they collect more premiums than they pay out in repairs.

Generally the high mileage riders are the ones that beat the odds and get more work done than they paid out in premiums.
Just thought I'd ask this question:
Given the cost of the electric reverse motor, IF someone chose NOT to have an ESP (any brand) do you think the investment in a mechanical reverse upgrade be a good idea/investment?
I've yet to use my reverse once due to years of pulling trailers (via car/truck and bike) I instinctively park only where I can pull-thru and do not need to back up or out.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:57 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by jb071599
I am currently in the process of shopping for a new bike. I have decided to move forward with the 2019 Tri Glide. Any thoughts or recommendations on the Extended Service Plan with Harley or go aftermarket. Thanks
Don’t even get any ESP. Unless you think you are a better reliability analyst than those that offer ESPs.

The following users liked this post:
jb071599 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 AM
ultrafxr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

Don’t even get any ESP. Unless you think you are a better reliability analyst than those that offer ESPs.
I don’t think the ESP companies are reliability experts any more than vehicle insurers are driving experts. They are just working with the law of large numbers and pricing accordingly. Like was said the high mileage owners have a better chance of recouping the cost of the ESP. Lots of riders do so only occasionally and put few miles on their machines.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty