Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike "Stereotype" Vent

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:59 PM
hlib76
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trike "Stereotype" Vent

Just a vent here.... but hoping someone in the trike community can relate.

I have a '16 Freewheeler that I bought last May. I ride it to the office here and there. I am SOOO tired of getting **** from the guys at work( I'm in engineering) because I'm not 75 and an old man (no offense meant ). Just today I got the, " You were not what I was expecting to see getting off a trike. I was expecting to see an 70 year old man". I just tell them, "hey, you ever driven one? Do YOU even have 2 wheels? No? Then don't knock it til you try it".

I'm a 40year old female, 5ft, just a tad over 100lbs. The FLRT is my first Harley. I test rode a ton of 2 wheel Harley options: both used, new, modified and stock.. but it just wasn't as fun or relaxing for me as the trike. I really liked being able to take the balance act out of equation. So I went with the trike. I absolutely love it.

I realize that a lot of folks turn to trikes because they physically can no longer handle 2 wheels. But man, I wish we could get rid of the stereotype that they are only for people who aren't physically able to ride 2 wheels. Trikes are a different kind of fun than 2 wheels for sure, but fun in their own way!

Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

Just keep riding on by them all standing there and you won’t be able to hear what they say.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Just tell them only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the window.

I know what you are talking about with the trike stereotypes.
I have physical problems with my knees and was in the market for a new bike and told my friend I was thinking about getting a trike. He laughed and said "why don't you just get a Mazda Miata trikes aren't cool, but sidecars are". Well low and behold while we were looking at trikes we came across a very nice low milage garaged Harley with a matching Harley sidecar.

Enjoy your ride and pay no mind to the haters. I would be willing to bet your trike is worth more than what they drive. Have fun and happy triking

The following users liked this post:
hlib76 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I'm 75 and have been riding almost 60 years. I've always wanted a trike and in 2012 I bought my first one and now have a 2014 TG. I am still able to ride 2 wheels and usually do every year helping my dealer with their Demo Rides. I ride all the different models from Sportsters to CVO Ultras. I am concerned if I was to drop a Limited, but not anymore. I'm completely comfortable riding with the wind in my hair(?) now. The main reason I bought my TG when I did was because I may not be able to afford one in a few years when I'll really need one. I have a job and money now so now I'm all set up to ride into my 90's. I finally decided to retire next month so maybe I'll get to put on more than 12K miles each year like I normally do.
What irks me the most is when the yahoos say a trike is not a motorcycle. It is a motorcycle = it's licensed as one, it has the same engine, handlebars, seat, front wheel, controls, sound, etc. It just doesn't lean. I ride all winter and don't have a single worry about ice and snow - it's actually fun. Riding the Dragon is a real hoot - I do it just about every year on my way home from Rolling Thunder. twisties are fantastic on a trike and even better on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The most fun I have is watching the 2 wheelers on our trips riding on gravel (whitest knuckles you've ever seen) or trying to make a U turn on a narrow road. Duck walking Harley riders are hilarious. LOL
Most 2 wheel riders can't get out of the parking lot on a trike - I see it every year on the Demo Rides at the dealer. The dealer has me help those that want to try a TriGlide. Have been doing it for about 5 years and I can only remember 2 riders that could actually handle a trike.
Next time someone hassles you, ask them what will they be riding when they're 70 or 80 and you'll be doing donuts in their front yard.
I started life on a trike and I'm going to leave life on a trike.

Just ride and have fun, who cares what others think.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 02-08-2019 at 02:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GARY DYER:
Clint44 (02-10-2019), hlib76 (02-12-2019), Northernproducer (02-13-2019), Slowpoke62 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:30 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Ride what you like & to heck with the rest!! Have fun!

Jlbflhtc (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 03:05 PM
kero
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm 31 and when I ride my father's trike I think hey men this bike is great, you feel the wind in your face exactly as you feel on two wheel but this have one more, better brakes and looks nice.... So enjoy your trike and forgot all *****

hlib76 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 07:43 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

I ride both 2 and 3 wheels and they are both fine rides and really don’t care what the doubters have to say , knees in the breeze is what its all about

Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

I've gotten this a few times. Once some ******** told me that's not a motorcycle you know. I said the state of Missouri says it is. Motorcycle plate and i have to wear a helmet. I ride one because i lost my left leg in a a bike accident. Never knew how much fun they were to ride. I've ridden plenty of 2, 3 and 4 wheelers in the dirt so moving to a street trike was no big deal for me. If i would have known how much fun this thing is in the corners i would have bought one a long time ago.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

All's that matters is that you made the right choice for you. Anybody gives you chit about it then it's because they are jealous of how much fun you are having on your 3 wheeler!

Old 02-08-2019, 11:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

To each their own, on a personal side I'm mixed on the whole trike thing. Have noticed as the hair's been getting closer to the same color my bikes I'm more tolerant of the idea of having one. Gets to the point I can't hold up 2 wheels anymore I'll make that decision, give up what I've been doing since I was 16 or join the crowd.

Quick Reply: Trike "Stereotype" Vent