Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Love jugs & stage 1 a/c ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Love jugs & stage 1 a/c ??

Thinking about doing a stage one with slip ons & Power Vision. Putting Mighty Mites on as well. My question is with a more open backplate on the A/C and the MMs blowing hot air directly into the back of the A/C, it seems a bit counter productive. I have the DK external breather to get that hot, oily air out of my stock A/C and then blowing the MM air right into a more open A/C. What say you??
Already have no cat & vieds and want a bit more low & mid power, but don't need more high end speed. Will the stock A/C with a K&N filter get me enough air for this?
As to slip ons, Just want a little more rumble but do not want loud or droney sound. Have had VH Twin Slash on the Switchback I used to have and do not want loader than that. Thinking about 4" Reinharts. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Old 03-04-2019, 05:05 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I have Wards fans (which are the exact same as the company you mentioned) on a 107" Twin Cam with a high flow filter and other engine mods netting more 100 rwhp. There was no degradation of performance on any of the multiple dyno runs my bike did, some with the fans on and some off. They did cool the cylinders down but they did not increase performance either.

The following users liked this post:
graygoat (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 AM
Hurn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that you would want to have the MM blowing air out the left side of the bike not to the right towards the a/c. Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:54 AM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

Take a closer look. Unless your cylinders have tunnels in them, those fans blow onto the cylinders, not through them.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 AM
graygoat
Road Master

The fans mount on the left and blow through to the right. Just seems to me that the hot air off the engine would be drawn into an open A/C. The stock A/C would pull the air in from the front, cooler air? Just seems counter productive on getting as much cooler air into the A/C, trying to get my simple brain around this!

Red, how do you like your 4" Rineharts? How much louder than stock? Any rear dragging issues?

Old 03-04-2019, 08:53 AM
RedOregon
Tourer

Originally Posted by graygoat
The fans mount on the left and blow through to the right. Just seems to me that the hot air off the engine would be drawn into an open A/C. The stock A/C would pull the air in from the front, cooler air? Just seems counter productive on getting as much cooler air into the A/C, trying to get my simple brain around this!

Red, how do you like your 4" Rineharts? How much louder than stock? Any rear dragging issues?
Take a close look. The fans blow *onto* the jugs. They can't blow through solid metal! And except for sitting still at a light, airflow from the front would pass between your heads and the air cleaner.

Love the Rineharts. They rumble at normal throttle, but they'll definitely bark if you want them to when you get on 'em! No rear dragging issues even before I installed the lift kit that I'm running.

graygoat (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:00 AM
graygoat
Road Master

Thanks, Red. I can't get at my Tri right now (too dang much snow) but I get what you are saying about the cooler air flow from the front.
I am leaning hard on the Rineharts at this point.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:06 AM
RedOregon
Tourer

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, or one nearby, go over there on a slow day and see if they'll fire up a couple bikes in their used inventory with pipes that you're interested in. A good salesman/manager/service guy would be happy to do that for a customer if they're not busy, just for the goodwill and chance to chitchat about something you both love on a slow day.

graygoat (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOregon
Take a closer look. Unless your cylinders have tunnels in them, those fans blow onto the cylinders, not through them.
Originally Posted by RedOregon
Take a close look. The fans blow *onto* the jugs. They can't blow through solid metal! And except for sitting still at a light, airflow from the front would pass between your heads and the air cleaner.

Love the Rineharts. They rumble at normal throttle, but they'll definitely bark if you want them to when you get on 'em! No rear dragging issues even before I installed the lift kit that I'm running.
If you have a Harley Twin Cam go out and take a look at it. There are indeed open passages from one side of the head to the other, the fans blow hot air thru them.

With regard to why fans on the left and not the right.

There isn't room for an intake/air cleaner & carb/throttle body and fans on the right side. The one thing the poster I quoted and I agree on; it doesn't matter. But, many posters here aren't really seeking an answer to a question, they're looking for an answer that matches what they've already deduced.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-04-2019 at 12:50 PM.
graygoat (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

1. Any extra air is going to be an improvement, so running a K&N element in your stock set up will be better than stock. You can get a 606 setup that uses the stock cover and it will give even more increase in performance. See it HERE.

Since you already have an EBS, talk to the folks in Customer Service and they'll adjust the price for you, will end up not costing much more than just the filter element, but will be a much nicer improvement.

At a stop the heat is already radiating from the fins and heating the air around the intake, the fans will help the engine run cooler, and over all that air will be cooler. Once you are moving the majority of the air going thru the element is "fresh", not from the air being pushed across the engine by the fans.

Yes, there is a hole that some of the air comes straight thru the middle, but that has no effect in the wind.

2. A lot of folks like the Reinhart sound, including Devin, the "D" in DK. I never have liked it. But that is how it is with exhaust notes, everyone likes a different sound. They can be adjusted to be no louder than the Twin Slash db wise, they maybe have a bit sharper of a note when getting on the throttle.

You might want to look at the Supertrapp style exhaust. They are excellent performers, plus you can adjust how many discs you use which will effect the sound level (and the performance).

3. Even with the factory slip ons you can drag them in a steep enough driveway with the 14" Trike Series Shocks™. So with the 4" cans you will be a bit closer, just go at a bit of an angle in really deep entrances and you'll be fine.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

graygoat (03-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Love jugs & stage 1 a/c ??