Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2019 Tri Glide Build-Out, lots of pics, videos & thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 05:19 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default tri glide

Originally Posted by johnny b
congrats on new ride Judy and I just ordered a 2019 in silver ad black
already orderes the tour and floorboard extensions to get started
Kevin
On the picture of your 14 it looks like you did not have a tank lift on it. also on the other site when you listed what you took off and what you left on there was no mention of a tank lift. Did you not us a tank lift on that bike and if not why?
Thank You
Gerald Martin

Last edited by gerald martin; 03-06-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: forgot to sign name
The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:15 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The wicked red and silver seem to be in favor, I have the same color and have ordered the floor board wideners and lift kit.
Thank you

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Bob
Kevin, I have a lot of confidence in you and Devin's testing and I retroactively give you permission to have changed my dates <grin>. You all seem to spend a lot of time analyzing a problem, making adjustments and modifications before you come out with a fix. It was your testing of the Love Jugs (great people at the manufacturer to deal with and my preferred source) that has caused me to recommend the Mighty Mites as the most effective fans given the very detailed testing you conducted. Some of us are definitely a bit less handy between customizing the trikes ourselves and also bringing them back to stock should a warranty issue arise. OTOH, many of the posters on this forum are quite facile with wrenching and customization and many of the components that DK Customs have developed seem to take Harley's designs and bump them up a notch or two.

In terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and Harley's Consent Decree with the EPA, it is likely going to take some deep pockets to fight that battle and I am not sure of what the outcome would be after a bunch of money and effort was expended? In some ways, it seems to me that Harley has benefited from joining with the government and locking out non-MOCO parts developers so I don't see Harley being overly concerned about fighting any battles on behalf of their consumers. So, that sort of leaves us a bit out in the cold. One thing for sure is that you and Mary rode that 2014 pretty hard at times and that trike really held up well which has to be something of a testament to some of your mods.

I think that Harley does not expect most of their consumers to use their products extensively and with low miles and utilization, some of the gremlins that are caused by heavy usage are not necessarily identified. OTOH, you really run your trikes/bikes hard and so I look with great anticipation to your coming reports on the various mods that you come up with for your beautiful new 2019 TGU. Capt. Bob
Thanks man!

On the MM, there have been a few auto companies that were denying warranty claims, in violation of the MM. Stuff like, you did not use our oil filter, etc. Enough consumers got fed up with it and took them to court. Big payouts, punitive.

Probably will never happen with HD...in my experience there are very few warranty claims denied due to aftermarket parts...never heard of it for tires, shocks, etc. The '17+ models on the powertrain are where there seem to be the most. Probably because in that instance HD has an arm of the feds backing them up...and yeah, like you mentioned somewhere, it smacks of collusion.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-06-2019, 06:42 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Kevin
On the picture of your 14 it looks like you did not have a tank lift on it. also on the other site when you listed what you took off and what you left on there was no mention of a tank lift. Did you not us a tank lift on that bike and if not why?
Thank You
Gerald Martin
Hey Gerald,

Thanks for catching that. I left a 1.5" Tank Lift and Deluxe option on there. Can't really see the actual tank lift in the photos because the Cooling Deflector Wings hide it. But if you look at the engine, you will find that you can see the entire top of it because the tank is not sitting down overhanging it.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:45 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by roadglider05
The wicked red and silver seem to be in favor, I have the same color and have ordered the floor board wideners and lift kit.
Thank you
Yes, I looked at all the colors, the Kinetic was good in the light...but a little to dark without direct light, sorta like the blue on my '14.

The red & silver look really great to Mary and I, regardless of the lighting.

Appreciate your business, I think you'll really enjoy those.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:50 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default tank lift

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Hey Gerald,

Thanks for catching that. I left a 1.5" Tank Lift and Deluxe option on there. Can't really see the actual tank lift in the photos because the Cooling Deflector Wings hide it. But if you look at the engine, you will find that you can see the entire top of it because the tank is not sitting down overhanging it.
Kevin
Thanks for replying. I have the same lift I bought from you and just wanted to make sure there was not a problem running with it as I could not really see it any of your pictures
Gerald

Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Cherch
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You mentioned in your first post concerning your build of the '19 triglide that you were going to coat the aluminum wheels and ceramic coat the paint. Any information on this? I would be very interested on coating the wheels

Its going to be an interesting build and look forward to keeping up with your progress.
OBTW nice color combo on the trike.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

Kevin, CONGRATS!!!......Great looking bike......reminds me of my 99 Ultra in Aztec Orange and Diamond Ice.....Present Tri Glide is Dark Blue..........enjoy!!....looking forward to pix and reports

Old 03-07-2019, 01:33 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cherch
You mentioned in your first post concerning your build of the '19 triglide that you were going to coat the aluminum wheels and ceramic coat the paint. Any information on this? I would be very interested on coating the wheels

Its going to be an interesting build and look forward to keeping up with your progress.
OBTW nice color combo on the trike.
Yes, this weekend I am going to start (and maybe finish) ceramic coating the tins and the wheels. Will post up all the info and photos in this thread when done.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by mctraveler
Kevin, CONGRATS!!!......Great looking bike......reminds me of my 99 Ultra in Aztec Orange and Diamond Ice.....Present Tri Glide is Dark Blue..........enjoy!!....looking forward to pix and reports
Thank you, pretty stoked to start in on this ride.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:44 AM
Capt. Bob
Cruiser
Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Kevin, You provide so much fodder for one to "chew" on. You had mentioned that you have purchased an aftermarket front rake kit for the 2019 TGU that you plan to install. I thought about this and from the first mention of it thought about how much that could screw with all kinds of dynamic stability issues that have been built into the 2019's. You had mentioned that in a sharp right turn in stock configuration that you had lifted the rear wheel unexpectedly high compared to your previous TG's. I suspect part of that may have been the result of rear-shock preload settings along with tire pressures on all three tires?

What concerns me about some of these aftermarket mods is that all kinds of other components are affected by mods such as a rake kit. You have steering head bearing issues, steering and steering dampers, and you have effects on ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control sensors that are set for the parameters designed into the trike by HD. Having been a professional pilot/flight instructor a long time ago, I was always a bit leery of mods that some folks were making to their machines with what I felt were sets of limited data in lots of flight configurations. I was the second person to fly the new Piper T-tail Lance out of the Piper factory in the late 70's and immediately discerned that there were numerous negative flight characteristics that the engineers and test pilots failed to recognize prior to commencing production. A co-worker and I took the new machine and flew it fairly extensively to ascertain and document how much the T-tail iteration of the 6 passenger aircraft was deviating from the previous model without the T-tail. The results were quite surprising and very unsettling in certain flight conditions. We reported these findings to the factory but the designs had already been solidified for production. I think that particular model was only produced for 2-3 years before they discontinued it in favor of return to the conventional non-T-tail.

Using the T-tail mod (horizontal stabilizer/elevator) as an example, it seemed like a great idea but in reality, it turned out to be less than optimal with the fuselage of the aircraft rendering the stabilizer/elevator less effective when the aircraft was in a nose-high attitude. For those reasons and a bunch of other mods that I have seen come down the pike for my racing cars and some competitors along with uber-sophisticated telescopes I have owned/had deveveloped that proved to be ultimately subtractive to performance, I am a lot more cautious in what mods I choose for my machines. In the telescope arena, I attempted to implement cooling strategies into an uber-custom, state-of-the-art computer-controlled 20" Newtonian telescope that had been articulated via experiments and documented by a well received scientist/engineer and the mods that I had incorporated into the telescope turned out to be essentially non-functional at best or deleterious at worst.

For me, the bottom line is that often, ideas that seem helpful do not stand up to real-world applications and can tend to reduce performance in unintended ways. I hate to say this but many folks who offer add-on components really don't know much about engineering and physical properties of materials. These subjects are not easily learned and I am fearful of a bunch of "shade tree experts" offering products that might not only be ineffective but ultimately dangerous? I won't even begin to discuss the legal ramifications of voided warranties and accident liability/insurance issues which to me are "dark holes".

Last edited by Capt. Bob; 03-08-2019 at 04:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Tri Glide Build-Out, lots of pics, videos & thoughts