Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jump start

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 06:47 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Is that from the HD dealer Smitty?

Last edited by BinIdaho; 03-16-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 AM
lah2420
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I have one of those small jump starters that has been used on totally dead to partially dead batteries several times. Everything from a lawn mower to a v8. Backed it out of the yard the other day and accidentally killed it. Would not start back up. Got the low battery clicking. Pulled the jump starter out, pulled the seat to get directly to the battery, and it would not start. Don't know why, so that concerns me. I always have it with me and make sure it is charged up. I ended up pushing the trike back in and hooking the charger/maintainer back up.
I will say I am disappointed in the battery itself. Stock battery was replaced at about 2 1/2 years. This one about a year and a half old and giving issues also? Always on maintainer. Batteries aren't what they used to be for sure.
The wife and I both know how heavy the trike is now. Ouch.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:25 PM
harley roadking
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2nd battery

Bad battery maintainer?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by lah2420
I have one of those small jump starters that has been used on totally dead to partially dead batteries several times. Everything from a lawn mower to a v8. Backed it out of the yard the other day and accidentally killed it. Would not start back up. Got the low battery clicking. Pulled the jump starter out, pulled the seat to get directly to the battery, and it would not start. Don't know why, so that concerns me. I always have it with me and make sure it is charged up. I ended up pushing the trike back in and hooking the charger/maintainer back up.
I will say I am disappointed in the battery itself. Stock battery was replaced at about 2 1/2 years. This one about a year and a half old and giving issues also? Always on maintainer. Batteries aren't what they used to be for sure.
The wife and I both know how heavy the trike is now. Ouch.
One thing that defeats the Li jumper batteries is an internally shorted main battery, all it'll do then is make the jumper battery hot. One sign of an internally shorted battery is 9 volts or less, charges to 12+ in a few seconds, and instantly drops back where it was and stays there when you hit the starter switch. I've had a couple of those and my Li jumpers wouldn't do anything with them. An almost dead but otherwise undamaged battery usually jumps ok.

Something else that baffled me for a few minutes on my newest jumper was a switch on the inline fuse, they're so simple (I thought) I didn't read the instructions and didn't notice the tiny switch button. Worked fine... when I finally saw it and turned it on.

My battery life, bikes and cars, isn't near what it used to be, either. Had a few the past 10-20 years that didn't last over 2 years, and very few that lasted 4 years, bikes and cars both.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by harley roadking
Bad battery maintainer?
I had two Schumachers I'd bought together and both fried a battery. Tossed them and got a Noco smart charger that works great and was a lot cheaper than buying even one new battery. Good idea to check the voltage when using a new tender. Says the guy that learned the hard way...