Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum so bear with me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:51 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Welcome aboard & enjoy the ride!!

Old 03-15-2019, 05:50 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Change all the fluids and install some summer air in the tires and ride. Kevin from DK Customs in the man when it comes to these trikes.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:11 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Guys I have to say something that I haven't said for a couple of years but can't contain myself any more, and I know it's going to start **** but I am sorry from the start.
I spent most of my adult life as a Brake and Front end Mech and totally disagree with this thing about changing your brake fluid every couple of years. Even though it is everyone's preference to do this it isn't necessary in my opinion.
Brake and hydraulic systems, Clutch and Brake are SEALED systems they can't get any contaminants in them unless you put it in there, it doesn't break down at the intervals that you are trying to make it out to and the fluid only moves a little bit especially in these bikes.
I understand that now we have silicone fluid but it still doesn't break down like advertised.
Should you change out the fluid periodically sure but it is a hype on the intervals that they are recommending.
I have had vehicles come into the shop with 20 years of brake fluid in thee system and other than being a little discolored it is still working fine.What would break down Brake fluid would be water and like I said way back it is a sealed unit how would water get into the system unless you opened it up and got it in there.
Sorry this is just an "old mechs opinion"

The following users liked this post:
Dmdrone (03-17-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,040 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Welcome!

Old 03-17-2019, 03:36 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
Guys I have to say something that I haven't said for a couple of years but can't contain myself any more, and I know it's going to start **** but I am sorry from the start.
I spent most of my adult life as a Brake and Front end Mech and totally disagree with this thing about changing your brake fluid every couple of years. Even though it is everyone's preference to do this it isn't necessary in my opinion.
Brake and hydraulic systems, Clutch and Brake are SEALED systems they can't get any contaminants in them unless you put it in there, it doesn't break down at the intervals that you are trying to make it out to and the fluid only moves a little bit especially in these bikes.
I understand that now we have silicone fluid but it still doesn't break down like advertised.
Should you change out the fluid periodically sure but it is a hype on the intervals that they are recommending.
I have had vehicles come into the shop with 20 years of brake fluid in thee system and other than being a little discolored it is still working fine.What would break down Brake fluid would be water and like I said way back it is a sealed unit how would water get into the system unless you opened it up and got it in there.
Sorry this is just an "old mechs opinion"
I am also an old mechanic 40+ years as a journeyman. I agree to a point about the interval being a bit short, but it is on the safe side.
I do disagree about the fluid not becoming contaminated short of water. My system has always been sealed up except for a bit added at the dealer when the rear rotors were change there .
At three years old my fluid was black ! There is a lot of heat involved with the rear set up.

Like I said It had never been opened. The font system has stayed fairly good, but still gets changed every two now !

Last edited by sloufoot; 03-17-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:00 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
I am also an old mechanic 40+ years as a journeyman. I agree to a point about the interval being a bit short, but it is on the safe side.
I do disagree about the fluid not becoming contaminated short of water. My system has always been sealed up except for a bit added at the dealer when the rear rotors were change there .
At three years old my fluid was black ! There is a lot of heat involved with the rear set up.

Like I said It had never been opened. The font system has stayed fairly good, but still gets changed every two now !
Like I said it's everyone's preference and I am not knocking anyone for changing it out every day if they want all I am trying to say is that this mandatory change it every two years or your brakes will fail is a myth.