Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Market must be very soft for used TriGlides

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default Market must be very soft for used TriGlides

I guess I had false expectations on the value of my ‘12 TriGlide, based upon NADA, KBB, and what people have listed them for. I have had mine listed for 2 weeks, and only got one call, and it was from a crazy guy that was in a mental institution...seriously. But, I had fun talking to him.

Anyhow...I first set the price at $22,500 which was about high average...and kept dropping it. Yesterday I took it to my local dealer, and after a lot of time they offered me $13,500 for it. But, said I could get more on a trade in on a new bike. Although that just wasn’t what I wanted to do.

I have it listed on Craig’s List, Cycle Trader, HdForums, and a few other Facebook pages. Last night i dropped the price to $17,500, and no bites.

I guess the reality is:
- Options add no value. They are for your own enjoyment.
- After 7 years, and 43,000 miles...I guess a value of 42% of new...isn’t a disaster. Ignoring the $1,000s in options,

If I don’t get any bites...I’ll probably just take the dealer offer,

oh yeah...I tested RumbleOn, and they offered me $11,500.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:08 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I guess I had false expectations on the value of my ‘12 TriGlide, based upon NADA, KBB, and what people have listed them for. I have had mine listed for 2 weeks, and only got one call, and it was from a crazy guy that was in a mental institution...seriously. But, I had fun talking to him.

Anyhow...I first set the price at $22,500 which was about high average...and kept dropping it. Yesterday I took it to my local dealer, and after a lot of time they offered me $13,500 for it. But, said I could get more on a trade in on a new bike. Although that just wasn’t what I wanted to do.

I have it listed on Craig’s List, Cycle Trader, HdForums, and a few other Facebook pages. Last night i dropped the price to $17,500, and no bites.

I guess the reality is:
- Options add no value. They are for your own enjoyment.
- After 7 years, and 43,000 miles...I guess a value of 42% of new...isn’t a disaster. Ignoring the $1,000s in options,

If I don’t get any bites...I’ll probably just take the dealer offer,

oh yeah...I tested RumbleOn, and they offered me $11,500.
I got $14,600 on my '13 trade-in for '19.....

Old 03-29-2019, 10:13 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
I got $14,600 on my '13 trade-in for '19.....

Thanks...that’s about in line with my offer, for an outright purchase from the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
BinIdaho (04-15-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:10 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I think ALL bikes are "in the toilet" these days.

I posted my CVO Ultra last fall and never got a single call.

You know what you are willing to take for your trike but unless there's a rush, give it a few more weeks.
Warm weather can change people's minds in a heartbeat!

I'll try posting mine again in April but I have no need to give it away. Besides, my wife wants me to keep it so I can occasionally ride with her but if I do sell the Ultra I can always pull the Springer down for local runs but I have no plans to take it on long trips at the ripe old age of 21, approaching 22!

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 03-29-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:35 PM
ultrafxr
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

When you're buying they are priceless. When you're selling not so much, lol. It's seven model years old and two iterations old. In '14 there was the Rushmore improvements and in '17 the new M8 motor and your '12 has neither. Plus financing on a vehicle that old would be iffy so you'll need someone with cash. And unfortunately as many of us know the add ons aren't worth much when it comes time to sell. Perhaps some of the add ons could be removed and re-used or sold on eBay or a bike forum. If you could get $15k or $16k for it in an outright sale that would probably be a fair deal imo.

And don't give up after only two weeks of listing. It takes a while even for dealers. I never had any response from Cycle Trader. I did sell my '07 on www.hd4sale.com

Last edited by ultrafxr; 03-29-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

The dealer will give you 13K for it, but next week have it for sale at 22K. I see that a lot around here.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:44 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

We put a vehicle up for sale and had no bites for quite a few weeks. Then a few, then nothing again for weeks.

Then one day a guy fell in love with it and paid full asking price.

Give it some time. It just takes the right person seeing it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

I'd wait a little while longer.....just coming into spring up here and sales at local dealer have been slow until we get a few nice days then the traffic and sales pick up (i'm told),,,add ons don't add anything for value ) as you know)....warmer weather will help...plus people are getting taxes done later may have an impact....Hold together a while longer.... also maybe look into Rider to Rider financing( contact HD financing for info) sometimes being able to show help financing can get people more interested in what you have at a better price for you....my.02

Old 03-30-2019, 05:29 AM
Capt. Bob
Cruiser
Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Trigeezer, You live in San Diego County where the riding weather is great all year long. Tri Glides are actually in really high demand in most venues because the Baby Boomer population is aging out and wanting to stay in the wind even if it is on three wheels instead of two. As several have mentioned, if you are a bit patient, your trike will sell at a reasonable price for you and a buyer. Cycle Trader is another venue that many people look at when buying used machines. Your correct about the extras. For some it will be a mild incentive to purchase, for others not much. It is a personal thing when it comes to farkles. Much good luck and be a bit patient. I suspect that you can squeeze a few thousand dollars more out of the sale than the dealer will give you. It appears that you came out asking a retail dealer price on your initial listing on the Marketplace forum but you are now honing in on a very saleable price and might want to shoot the best price you are willing to take for a cash deal and it will probably move out pretty quickly?

Last edited by Capt. Bob; 03-30-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:26 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

You say you have it listed on Craigslist--but in how many different cities? I know Craigslist says "one ad in one location" but I often look at Craigslist ads when I am just surfing the net and I see lots of bikes listed in numerous different cities. You may need to slightly alter the wording in your ad title and/or the body of the ad--maybe that is how it slips through any Craigslist filter they might have.

The following users liked this post:
Nickatnyt (04-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Market must be very soft for used TriGlides