Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Best trailer to carry a Tri Glide

Old 04-14-2019, 09:30 PM
atlmoneyman
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best trailer to carry a Tri Glide

My father just bought a 2019 Tri Glide and has asked me to look into a trailer so that when we head out on road trips and have someone follow with the truck and trailer we have a trailer that can fit the Tri Glide if necessary. What are y’all using? Please let me know if you can recommend a brand and model of trailer.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Many Threads.

If you do a search in this forum you will find a bunch of threads with ideas and suggestions for enclosed trailers and open trailers. Below is a link to just one of them.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...-advice-2.html

If you are interested in a great all aluminum open trailer for a tri glide, honda trike conversions etc take a look at the Aluma trike trailers.

Last edited by so60; 04-14-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Trailers can vary greatly in price.
It mostly depends on size (as how much extra space you need or want inside the trailer) what size truck are you going to be using to tow the trailer, and does he want an "open" or an "enclosed" style trailer?
An enclosed trailer will definitely protect the trike better but it will cost more than an open model and they are a bit harder (requiring more vehicle and more fuel) to tow.

Aluminum trailers are of course much lighter and more expensive than steel trailers but they would also make the tow vehicle use less fuel if a lot of towing is involved this may be a fact worth considering.

My preference (JMHO) for hauling a trike on a limited basis would be a steel, 7'x12' with tandem axles and a rear "drop-down" door.
If properly loaded, a tandem axle will help reduce the bouncing and "see-saw" effect when towing and the dropdown rear door is an absolute must unless you're prepared to carry loading rams inside the trailer (which as a major PIA).
You may find a smaller trailer (6'x10, single axle model') that could carry the trike but you would be limited on interior space and IF and WHEN you get to resale the trailer the 7'x12' (or a 7'x14') would both sell better and have a better resale.
The price difference in steel dual axle trailers should not vary too much in price it's just a matter of what your needs happen to be.
There's a bunch of trailer manufacturers to select from so you need to determine what you want/need and what you want to spend before you start shopping and you may also want to take a look at used trailers.
Usually, a trailer that looks like it has been taken care of and you can get a good price, you may be better off going that way even if it needs a new set of tires, etc.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:03 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

You can go online and find literally dozens of trailer manufacturers and local sales locations. You can get them from stock at a dealer, or there are quite a few online places that would be more than happy to make one to your specs, usually for an extra premium, typically $500 to $1500. But you do get exactly what you want and no more, which could be a potential savings.

Most of the trailers are actually made in either Georgia or around Elkhart, Indiana. If you're near either of those your choices go up. If your dealer has to bring up a trailer instead of having one in stock, plan on a delivery fee being added to the cost, about a buck and a half a mile in most cases.

If you look around you can get an idea of the tremendous number of options that are available. Besides the size you need, there are a lot of advantages to a tandem axle. 16" floor cross members are a good idea for a high-weight item like a trike, as is a plywood floor. But do you really need the side walls sheathed in diamond plate when plywood will do? You can always paint the walls instead of getting plastic on them. A V-nose will pull easier than a square front, and if you can find one that also has the roof that slants down over the V additional fuel savings will result. Roof vents are nice but do you really need an extra hole in that membrane roof to leak. Edit: make sure that the ramp door is rated at least 1500#.

Consider the distance, you may get charged to transport one to you or to your local dealer, usually at extra cost. I found one that was a 280 mile round trip, but I got exactly the specs I wanted and saved $800 to just go get it. Hey, it needed a break in run anyway.

Anyway, figure out what you need and put a little effort into it and you can get a pretty good deal. Keep resale value in mind when choosing your options. Good luck.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 04-15-2019 at 12:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Clint44 (06-03-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Best Trailer to carry a trike

Suggest you not consider 6 wide. 7 wide is great. Six foot is a scary tight fit. I really like the V nose for better-streamlined shape and your decision on the 10, 12 or 14 depending on whether he'll really need extra space for stuff. The dual wheel versions add extra weight and typically electric brakes. I am quite happy with my 10 foot. I haul it with a Ford F-350 diesel and a truck camper. We love the ability to haul the Trike South with us. You'll see on the internet there are tons of Trailer Choices out there. I'd go with one available in your area. Lond Distance orders can take months to arrive at your location.

You'll see lots of options....I like mine with 15-inch wheels over 14-inch wheels for hauling behind a truck. I too chose the 16 inch centers for floor and ceiling. Stronger trailer that way as trikes are heavy.

Happy Trike Trailer shopping.
GARY

Last edited by ggadwa; 04-15-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Oogie Wa Wa (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:04 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

All good advice above. I would just add that torsion suspension will ride better than spring, if he plans on a lot of longer distance pulling. I have a 6x10 v-nose, 6ft height, torsion with the heavier ramp door. It works for the Tri but is a tighter fit (not much room to move around inside). I got it for a 2 wheeler pulled behind a Ford Ranger 4x4. It is what I have and I only pull one long trip every other year, so I keep it. IF I were to replace it, I would go with at least 6.5 x 12 with a compound v- nose, tandom & torsion suspension. I pull with F150 now so might even go 7x14. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM
packmen21
Banned
Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by so60
If you do a search in this forum you will find a bunch of threads with ideas and suggestions for enclosed trailers and open trailers. Below is a link to just one of them.

If you are interested in a great all aluminum open trailer for a tri glide, honda trike conversions etc take a look at the Aluma trike trailers.

+1

Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Open or enclosed?

enclosed I’d go with 7x12 V nose, tandem axle

open, Aluma TK1

Clint44 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 10:33 AM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Trike Hauler Trailer Question
My Trailer has Plywood Flooring. I want to paint it before it gets too stained. I really want a No-slip or a Non-slip surface. Anyone have any good choices for Non-Slip Paint. I am headed 140 miles to the nearest Home Depot or Lowes this coming Tuesday and would like to have some suggestions before I get there and have to rely on just the paint salesman......I have used on my garage floor.... the gray with sparkles "cement sealer" before...and wonder if it would be a good choice!?!?!

My trailer is a 7x10 V Nose with plywood floor and walls.

Thanks for any experience or suggestions.

GARY

Old 06-02-2019, 02:09 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

A good epoxy floor coating works good also. You can put what ever type of "sparkles" you want in it. I personally wouldn't put any type of a rough surface paint down as you might need to be on your hands and knees. BAD STUFF !
There is a non slip smooth finish epoxy paint for floors. It might be good to put down some sand finish paint on your ramp though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best trailer to carry a Tri Glide