Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How to: cigarette lighter / car charger on Freewheeler

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:19 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts
Default How to: cigarette lighter / car charger on Freewheeler

we always route the battery tender pigtail up thru the seat, instead of leaving it down by the hot pipes.
it's annoying to have the pigtail down there, esp if you have two bikes parked side by side.

anyways, take seat off, take side panel off, two 1/2 bolts, and let the fuse box panel drop out slightly, cut the tie wrap off the back, and slice the mesh covering,

pull the pig tail out a bit, tape it all back up.

pull the pig tail up, and add some electrical tape & zip ties to support it
(the zip ties keep it from falling into the drive system if the pigtails falls down in side the bike)

more zip ties = more better = less dangly parts.

get you a cigarette lighter, and wire it up "backwards" so that it is powered from the pigtail, and it should reach into the trunk

it's good enough for "emergencies'
and will serve the purpose when you need it.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:44 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I chose another option for a supplementary 12 volt power outlet. Using Kit Number 69201099, it brings the power to your choice of left or right side cover. It does require drilling a hole in the side cover but when finished, there is a waterproof rubber cap for protection. A plug-in adapter lets me connect my cellphone.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (04-26-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 07:21 AM
harley roadking
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter

If you're looking for a usb adapter to charge phines, etc. Go to this site....
https://www.warmnsafe.com/outlet-store. You'll get a 404 not found message ignore and look in the left upper corner an click on menu, then accessories. They have an usb adapter that hooks onto the battery charger cord.$19.00. I've dealt with this company for several years, good people.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:40 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Edit: the pic does not match the description, because there is a coax power plug, but not a battery charger plug, so IDK?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.warmnsafe.com/products/u...cle-with-pouch

The USB Charger Adapter for Motorcycle with Pouch

Motorcycle 12V to 5V 3A USB Adapter with Pouch. Never be stranded with your phone, camera or bluetooth headset out of power! This is a universal adapter to go from either our coax battery harness, (a battery tender harness, a BMW Socket or a Cigarette Lighter Socket with our optional adapters) to the USB cable your device came with for charging. 5 volt 3 amp output will charge the Ipad as well.

Length of cables: Coax Plug to adapter is 13in (330mm) and Adapter to USB is 8.5in (216mm). Includes a neoprene storage pouch

NO, you do not have to have a USB connector on the device you are charging. You use the cable it came with that has the USB connector on one end and the connector to the device on the other. And no, a cheap cigarette plug does not work on a motorcycle since most do not have a cigarette socket. I can't believe that a competitor would have someone send us these comments. I guess it is because they do not ride

SKU 71014004
  • Regular price $19.95

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

second edit: looks like you need a second adapter to "put the other cheek" on this half _ _ _ effort

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collection...ss-to-splitter

Warm & Safe Heated Gear

Battery Tender Harness to Splitter

SKU 71000311
  • Regular price $15.95

Last edited by 04ctd; 04-27-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:08 AM
harley roadking
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Adapter

That's correct. When i ordered all heated clothing for my wife and me, all articles of clothing came with different hook ups and that was one of them. Personal preference, i try not to splice wires if i don t have too. When i do i solder the wires and use shrink tube and liquid wire tape as over kill. For me its easier to order connector and not worry about it pulling apart and shorting out somewhere in the wilderness.