Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

freewheelers and touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:43 PM
sasnyder
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freewheelers and touring

After 10 great years riding my ultra, I find that age age 68 it is a little harder to get upright with the wifey on board. Also a little harder to unpark. Thinking of going to a trike. Can't really afford a tri-glide and I like the looks of the freewheeler. Question, how is it for touring? Wife and I fill the ultra bags and trunk plus a small suitcase on the luggage rack of the tourpak. Is there any aftermarket items where we could pack for a week long trip?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

For what your needs are, I would buy a used TG, instead of a FW. I've never considered Freewheelers a great two-up touring platform.

Have you and your wife test-ridden either trike? I would highly recommend doing so, before any purchase.

Last edited by Clint44; 06-03-2019 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TriGeezer (06-05-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 03:35 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

You might be surprised what you can find on used 2019 models of the TriGlide. Also the 2020 models aren't that far off so there will be some of the '19's left on the floor.
Clint is spot on about the Freewheeler for two and touring. You can almost make a TriGlide out of a Freewheeler, but you will still be short on trunk space.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Another option is to get an inexpensive cargo trailer to pull with the less expensive Freewheeler. You will have plenty of space then, and for a lot less than the price difference between otherwise equal Tri Glide and Freewheeler.

We pulled one for a lot of years on 2 wheels...would be super easy behind the Freewheeler.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-04-2019, 03:10 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,122 Likes on 1,621 Posts

One of our Legion Riders has a Free Wheeler. She tours on it and often brings a friend two up. Fills the trunk and has a big duffle bag she straps on top for extra storage.

According to Harley Specs the Ultra has 4.7 cu ft of storage space, the Freewheeler has 2 cu ft of storage space (which seems awfully small to me from actually seeing one). You have lots of real estate to put luggage on the back of the Freewheeler, but the Harley luggage rack is only rated at 10 lbs. The spec sheet for the Tri-Glide says it has 6.8 cu ft of storage space. That's a huge difference.

I don't have a trike of any type, but I think it's a bit like arguments I've had about touring on a Sportster. I can tour just fine on a Sportster, but an Ultra will do it better, smoother, and with less junk bungy corded on. Can you tour on a Freewheeler, of course you can, but, the Triglide is going to be a better choice for touring two up. The Freewheeler is going to have half the storage space of your Ultra, and you already strap a small suitcase on the luggage rack of that bike. You are going to need a big waterproof duffle bag strapped to the Freewheeler to make up for the lost storage space..

Last edited by VAFish; 06-04-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:15 PM
sasnyder
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies. I was thinking we would need to look for a used Tri. I was hopiing to save a little coin. I'd like to permanently retire this year.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Try both, but if you're really thinking of going with the Freewheeler, you might not want to let your wife sit on a Tri Glide first, there's definitely a difference in the seats!

Having said that, we put a lot of stuff in a fairly large 60Ldry bag on top of our Tri Glide Tour Pack. More than what the rack on top of it is rated for. But I made a carrier to spread the weight out over the width of the lid in a couple of places instead of just on the four points of the rack. It holds quite a bit. Two soft bags inside it, one for dirty clothes, one for clean. As one side fills up the other empties. Most of the time when opening the tour pack a lot we take it off.

Looking at a Freewheeler with the passenger backrest, it sure looks like you could strap a significantly sized dry bag on it over the trunk lid and partly on the fenders. Skip the rack. You would have to put some sort of film on the bodywork to protect the finish. Again, you'd also have to take it off to open the trunk lid.

Here's what the dry bags look like:

Or

or

An 80 liter bag is about 2.5 cubic feet. When added to the Freewheeler you're at least up in the Ultra storage capacity range.

Just a thought.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Oh, a second thought. We've got the kind that you can squeeze the air out. A waterproof compression bag. Fill it up, secure the top, open the valve, squeeze, roll the top down more, squeeze, close the valve. You can get it down to about one half of the space with clothes. Still the full weight, though.

Ediit We can go 6-7 days between laundry stops with this setup.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 06-05-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,271 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Regardless of luggage capacity, I don’t see how a FW is going to be comfortable for the rear seat commander that is over 60...great around town, but not on the long haul.

The following users liked this post:
Clint44 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 07:00 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

I will add that there are also good quality trike conversions out there, some with independent suspension. Do some homework, the trike as a touring platform is hard to beat. I had one, turned out to be a lemon, but will definitely go back to one in a few years.

Quick Reply: freewheelers and touring