Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How Many Bought a Trike with no prior riding experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Wheelerza
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

I started on a Freewheeler, very similar handling to a quad ATV. Once I got the hang of gear changes and built confidence riding at freeway speeds and in traffic, I got myself a softail, then a sporty, and finally a dyna (all used machines over a period of time).
Love all my rides, I commute daily to work on one of my bikes or trike (87 mile round trip) so I ride each one every week. I like riding different machines on different days.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
except no protection, heat, roof, air conditioning, air bags, ect. It is one additional tire.

I will get one when time comes, and can't balance a bike. Other than balance, not sure how they are like a car.

Have thought about one for gravel and mud.

I do suspect there are people scared of bikes who go right to trikes. I know one guy who said he didn't trust himself, whether he ever owned a bike when young I don't know.

I will most likely try this first........

But if I need to have a trike to be in the wind, I will have one......

Old 12-30-2019, 01:25 PM
trrogers24
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never owned a motorcycle before I bought my TriGlide. I did ride a friends motorcycle but it had been 20 years since that time. In South Carolina no special license needed.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:48 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,124 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by trrogers24
Never owned a motorcycle before I bought my TriGlide. I did ride a friends motorcycle but it had been 20 years since that time. In South Carolina no special license needed.

Funny how states vary on trikes. Here in VA we have a M2 license for 2 wheel motorcycles, an M3 license for 3 wheeler like trikes and Spyders, and an M license which allows you to ride both. I had my license since the mid 80's so I was grandfathered with an old M license and can ride either. Then we have the 3 wheeler you sit in and steer/drive like a car and they are considered an Autocycle and don't require anything other than a regular car license.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:50 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Good grief. A TriGilde is not like a car. Yes, it handles differently than a 2 wheel bike, but saying it is like a car is arrogantly naive.

We bought a TriGlide, after not having ridden for 30 years. It was a much easier path to get back into riding, especially 2 up riding, than on a 2 wheeler. It’s easier to ride safely than a 2 wheeler, and you can load it down with a lot more luggage. But, requires muscling in the corners, and in fast tight turns puts a lot of lateral force on the rider & passenger.

After 7 years, and 50,000 miles, with a lot of trips, we dropped a wheel and traded it on an Ultra Limited.
I think that feller that said a Trike is like a car has never been on a Trike. A Trike is NOTHING like a car.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:51 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bearmarm
I did this last year at age 49. Getting the license was easy. Being an expert mountain biker likely helped. The two biggest things to be aware of in my opinion is to favor the rear brake and be aware of the snow plowing/understeer when starting off and turning.

What is "snow plowing/understeer, when starting off and turning ?

Assume it has is related it starting from a stop sign, and making a turn

And, how can I overcome it?

Thanks,
Balloo

Old 07-24-2023, 01:46 PM
mofrommi4
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me!

Originally Posted by VAFish
Have a co-worker, never seemed like the motorcycle type, he often made snide remarks about my riding into work. Two weeks ago, his only son graduates college on Saturday, he and his wife are eating lunch across the street from a Harley dealer on Sunday and she says "Let's go look at a motorcycle". Couple hours later the dealership is delivering a 2016 Tri-Glide to his garage. He's signed up for a spyder riders course next weekend to get his license.

Is that a common thing among trike riders?
my first motorcycle and ride at 51 years old and man…how intimidating a Harley was to me! I always loved them but NEVER thought I could afford or EVER BE BLESSED TO OWN ONE! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!