Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Change Out Ultra Triglide Front Wheel for Freewheeler 19 inch size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:26 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Change Out Ultra Triglide Front Wheel for Freewheeler 19 inch size?

I’m planning on trading my Limited this fall after returning from my trip to Alaska for a Triglide. On my limited i replaced my front wheel with a 19 inch and like it. Has anyone replaced their front wheel on their Triglide from the 16 inch to the 19 inch from the same size as the Freewheeler? Have noticed that Harley on their site shows this size on the Triglide they have customized. If you have done it did it effect the handling in any way? My dealer says it would be the same as doing it to my limited with no effects. It had no effect on my limited so was looking to do this when purchase the bike this fall.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Ther must be a reason why Harley put a 16” front wheel on the TriGlide.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 AM
oldtimershockey
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a lower profile tire you'll have to watch the clearance with the fender and any wiring. I just installed an 18" Performance Machine front wheel with Avon trike tire and balance beads on my '13 tri.. Had to shim the brake callipers a bit ...works and looks ok.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Ther must be a reason why Harley put a 16” front wheel on the TriGlide.
Like I said put one on my limited and you could say the same for it too, but also harley shows the triglide in their page with the 19 on the triglide. This is why i’m asking cuz the 19 is the same diameter and rev’s per mile as the 16.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by oldtimershockey
With a lower profile tire you'll have to watch the clearance with the fender and any wiring. I just installed an 18" Performance Machine front wheel with Avon trike tire and balance beads on my '13 tri.. Had to shim the brake callipers a bit ...works and looks ok.
I’ve heard that with the 18 and but the 19 is no different with clearance or calibers. It’s a direct fit. PM is what i have on my limited and more than likely will go with them on the triglide. Very nice wheels.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:55 PM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Replaced the 16 on my 14 with a 19. ODs were very close, but a little difference in width. I did not notice any handling issues. Just recently went with 9 degree trees and the handling is even better. Toying with going 21.....but then again the 2020s are coming.

The following users liked this post:
ghostrunner (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Our trike has an 18" Reaper front wheel, from H-D's accessory line.

The following users liked this post:
ghostrunner (06-11-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 AM
TOHOG
Supporter
Received 128 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
I’m planning on trading my Limited this fall after returning from my trip to Alaska for a Triglide. On my limited i replaced my front wheel with a 19 inch and like it. Has anyone replaced their front wheel on their Triglide from the 16 inch to the 19 inch from the same size as the Freewheeler? Have noticed that Harley on their site shows this size on the Triglide they have customized. If you have done it did it effect the handling in any way? My dealer says it would be the same as doing it to my limited with no effects. It had no effect on my limited so was looking to do this when purchase the bike this fall.
I have a 2018 Tri-Glide. Over the winter I put Entruder Chrome Wheels on it. The front is the 19" wheel you are talking about. What I have found is: Easier steering, great look, NO ISSUES with fit/form, anything. DO IT if it is what you want.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:31 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by TOHOG
I have a 2018 Tri-Glide. Over the winter I put Entruder Chrome Wheels on it. The front is the 19" wheel you are talking about. What I have found is: Easier steering, great look, NO ISSUES with fit/form, anything. DO IT if it is what you want.
It’’s funny you said something about easier steering. When i put the 19 on my Limited I felt as though it was some what more responsive to the cornering in curves and turns but couldn’t prove that. The only thing that feel would have changed was the fact that the sidewall was less would more than likely cause it to ride little harder but this could be the reason for quicker response in steering too.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
There must be a reason why Harley put a 16” front wheel on the TriGlide.
They also put 16 inch wheels Softails for many years, but they also put 21" wheels on Softails , during the same years....

Sorry OP, I can`t answer you question either....

Quick Reply: Change Out Ultra Triglide Front Wheel for Freewheeler 19 inch size?