Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:54 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

lubricate your lock and follow other advice given

Old 04-29-2017, 09:55 PM
dkimbell
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oogie Was-Wa is right. I have a '14 too with the same problem and I've learned that you let the trunk close and then give it a push until you hear a click. Lock it if you want, but mine doesn't pop open anymore after I started listening for the click.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Garinsr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is yours Jim? My 2016 has a trunk latch issue also but no leaks. I corrected the latch problem by loosening the lock nut (1/2") and turning the pin counter clockwise 3/4 turn. Can't slam the door though as it is nearly air tight. Have to PUSH it closed but it worked.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Garinsr
What year is yours Jim? My 2016 has a trunk latch issue also but no leaks. I corrected the latch problem by loosening the lock nut (1/2") and turning the pin counter clockwise 3/4 turn. Can't slam the door though as it is nearly air tight. Have to PUSH it closed but it worked.
Ditto for me. I have to push gently till I hear it click. Never had it come open. I also give it a tug after wards just to be on the safe side.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:20 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

We were on I-81 doing 85 when a car beside us starting beeping. Not knowing why, I pulled over immediately. I got off of the Trike (3 days old) and saw the trunk door open. We had very valuable items in there due to the "more confined storage" so we did an inventory and all was there. Shut the door and was able to pull it wide open. Shut it a few more times and the latch "took". Now I check with a pull every time I close it. Has not been an issue since.
I wrote it off as "new bike" stiffness.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Default Zero Oil pressure scare

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog
Hey Brother,

My 09 with Amsoil 20W-50 here in Michigan runs about 10 at idle. Then when you power up it is about 32 or so. The synthetics run pretty thin during hot weather......hope this helps a little.
Diesel
Just the post I am looking for.
Road to lunch today ( about 1 mile away). When I got on the trike to come home, I had an oil light after start. I looked under the trike and saw no oil and none coming out the exhaust. I clicked the "i" switch and it showed "Oil Pressure : --" where it would normally say "OKAY". I softly road home and when in the garage, I shut the bike off and checked the oil level.

It was at the bottom of the hashed area for upright bike. I have 3644 miles on trike with 2200 on that oil. I use Syn 3 throughout.

I did not stick the oil rez after the 1000 mile checkup but wished I did, just to see the level he filled to.

I started the bike and the oil light cleared in about 2 seconds, as normal. I shut it down and started it after ten minutes and it cleared still. Now I must admit, that it is pretty hot here. Ambient ~ 92 F.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SpringerRider
We were on I-81 doing 85 when a car beside us starting beeping. Not knowing why, I pulled over immediately. I got off of the Trike (3 days old) and saw the trunk door open. We had very valuable items in there due to the "more confined storage" so we did an inventory and all was there. Shut the door and was able to pull it wide open. Shut it a few more times and the latch "took". Now I check with a pull every time I close it. Has not been an issue since.
I wrote it off as "new bike" stiffness.
I listen for an audible click. I also make it a habit to lock the frigg'n thing. Pita ?Yup. A whole lot better than discovering I've lost something way back down the road. Happy motoring ............

Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Default Trike stability

I am about 3 months and 4000 miles into Trike life. Have a 2017 TriGlide. Coming from 2 wheel Harleys, I am still trying to find the limits of a trike.

At first, I was gun shy on turns - especially at high speeds. That lateral pull on my body was unfamiliar and a little unnerving. We have a lot of twisties here in north Georgia and I am not the speed demon, floor board scraping psycho I used to be but I still like to get close to the edge.

What has surprised me is that I am able to turn as fast, if not faster than I could on my CrossBones, especially at slower speeds. I have spent some time in parking lots trying to identify the danger signs of high speed turns. I have snapped the handlebars to the stops as hard as I could as various speeds and the closest I've come to losing control is having the front wheel lift and and upon grabbing pavement, got a pretty good jolt because it was not point in the direction of travel.

The one big advantage of a trike is that you can tap the brakes in a turn though it does go against my instincts.

I think it is important to know the limits of a vehicle and would be interested in those who have racked up miles and experiences that I have yet to encounter.

The following users liked this post:
Harleydon17 (02-28-2018)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

I am about 3 months and 4000 miles into Trike life. Have a 2017 TriGlide. Coming from 2 wheel Harleys, I am still trying to find the limits of a trike.

At first, I was gun shy on turns - especially at high speeds. That lateral pull on my body was unfamiliar and a little unnerving. We have a lot of twisties here in north Georgia and I am not the speed demon, floor board scraping psycho I used to be but I still like to get close to the edge.

What has surprised me is that I am able to turn as fast, if not faster than I could on my CrossBones, especially at slower speeds. I have spent some time in parking lots trying to identify the danger signs of high speed turns. I have snapped the handlebars to the stops as hard as I could as various speeds and the closest I've come to losing control is having the front wheel lift and and upon grabbing pavement, got a pretty good jolt because it was not point in the direction of travel.

The one big advantage of a trike is that you can tap the brakes in a turn though it does go against my instincts.

I think it is important to know the limits of a vehicle and would be interested in those who have racked up miles and experiences that I have yet to encounter.
The real fun is drifting. I do it now going around corners at intersections. It really scares the crap out of the other drivers. ;>)

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

This is my 2nd TG(2012 -2014) I have approx. 65000 miles in 5 years under my belt. I do ride it like I stole it Yes, you will get better as time goes on.
I've only lifted the rear wheel once when a woman came flying out of a side street with no warning. Scared the crap out of me - amazing I didn't flip over it was that extreme of a twist of the handlebars.
If you get a rear lift kit from DK Customs, you'll turn even faster.

Every year I come home from Rolling Thunder on the BRP and/or the Dragon. I usually pull in the back of a pack of 2 wheelers(UJM's or Harleys). I stay up with them most of the way especially around turns. As you said, I can make turns faster then the 2 wheelers - even though every time I say that, the 2 wheelers come out and say that's impossible. There are a few other posters coming out and agreeing with me lately.

Here's a tip, try hitting pot holes/manhole covers with just the front wheel. Way less body shake then hitting with the rear wheels.
Keep rear tires at 23+/- PSI

These are the items I've installed for safety and convenience.
1. Rear lift kit
2. Set of Hyper-Lites on the rear
3. Road Zeppelin air seat
4. Custom Dynamics rear brake light flashers
5. When the time comes, replace front tire with a bagger rear tire (in reverse direction). 2 to 3 times longer tread life.
6. Floor board extenders
7. Seriously thinking on replacing air shocks with coil shocks also from DK Customs.
8. Next size taller windshield.

Good luck and stay safe

The following users liked this post:
SpringerRider (10-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues