Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

^^^ THis

Old 02-16-2018, 05:48 PM
rharbick
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2016 TriGlide still a Garage Queen

Well, I’m back. It’s been several months of trips to the dealership for “what’s next on the list that we haven’t replaced that could be causing this #$#@ problem”? So far my dealership has replaced the Thermostat, (of course the coolant more times then we can count), both Temperature Sensors, and the left radiator was replaced prior to all this after an accident. But still, after I get the bike home I’ll go on a ride and within the first couple of miles the Check Engine And Temperature Lights will come on. Every time I check and the engine isn’t overheated, the coolant bottle hasn’t “burped”, and they stayed on even when I activated the fans with the engine off. I have called HD Customer Care but all I get is a Reference Number and “Darn, that’s not good”. The pump hasn’t been replaced but HD wouldn’t let the dealership replace it last time under warranty because there was no trouble code for it. Folks, I paid almost $37k before financing ($560 a month) for a giant paper weight. This was my first Harley, and was supposed to be my “Retirement Present”. When I take it back to the dealership this time for the it will be the 5th or 6th drop off for the same problem, and I have absolutely no faith it will be fixed (not for lack of trying on the dealership’s part - they have pulled their hair out right along with me and bent over backwards trying to get this fixed). Frankly it’s got to the point I am disgusted with the whole mess. This has turned out to be the most exspensive bad buy I ever made.

The following 2 users liked this post by rharbick:
nibroc (04-16-2018), SpringerRider (04-05-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:34 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rharbick
Well, I’m back. It’s been several months of trips to the dealership for “what’s next on the list that we haven’t replaced that could be causing this #$#@ problem”? So far my dealership has replaced the Thermostat, (of course the coolant more times then we can count), both Temperature Sensors, and the left radiator was replaced prior to all this after an accident. But still, after I get the bike home I’ll go on a ride and within the first couple of miles the Check Engine And Temperature Lights will come on. Every time I check and the engine isn’t overheated, the coolant bottle hasn’t “burped”, and they stayed on even when I activated the fans with the engine off. I have called HD Customer Care but all I get is a Reference Number and “Darn, that’s not good”. The pump hasn’t been replaced but HD wouldn’t let the dealership replace it last time under warranty because there was no trouble code for it. Folks, I paid almost $37k before financing ($560 a month) for a giant paper weight. This was my first Harley, and was supposed to be my “Retirement Present”. When I take it back to the dealership this time for the it will be the 5th or 6th drop off for the same problem, and I have absolutely no faith it will be fixed (not for lack of trying on the dealership’s part - they have pulled their hair out right along with me and bent over backwards trying to get this fixed). Frankly it’s got to the point I am disgusted with the whole mess. This has turned out to be the most exspensive bad buy I ever made.
Man, I can’t imagine how frustrated you must be.
Do you not have a lemon law in Georgia? Seems like researching that and a conversation with the management of the dealership might get their attention? 6 times returned for the same thing would seem to qualify? Maybe get an attorney involved?
I have a 16 just like you and other than a leaking rear shock when new, have not had a problem.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 AM
Packers-FLSTC
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you investigated invoking the National Lemon Law to get HD to give you new bike? I had to do that with a car that had to be towed in 4 times within 6 weeks about 12 years ago. Actually, I did not need a lawyer or a formal complaint. I sat down with the dealer, told him the car had one more chance and I was going to the Lemon Law. He tried again, towed it back and he did the exchange without any legal crap. Good Luck and keep the shinny side up.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I had the same problem with H-D Corp. Mine was a bad paint/fiberglass issue. Thankfully I could still ride. About the same amount of trips to dealer - they even agreed with me. H-D Corp. still said no. Regional rep finally came and looked and said "Yep, that's a paint problem alright." Weeks passed and still no action. I finally got fed up and told the dealer to cancel my upgrade appointment. I had an 03 Ultra and was going to have a 6 speed trans put in. I guess that was too much money to loose so the next day the dealer called and said H-D OK'd the replacement. This took a whole year to resolve. I still don't know if H-D caved in or the dealer just absorbed the cost for good relations.

I guess the old adage is true = Money talks

Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Packers-FLSTC
Have you investigated invoking the National Lemon Law to get HD to give you new bike? I had to do that with a car that had to be towed in 4 times within 6 weeks about 12 years ago. Actually, I did not need a lawyer or a formal complaint. I sat down with the dealer, told him the car had one more chance and I was going to the Lemon Law. He tried again, towed it back and he did the exchange without any legal crap. Good Luck and keep the shinny side up.
Just as a heads up, there are no National Lemon Laws, only state Lemon Laws. Also, each state’s law is different, so it’s prudent to check your state lemon law for whatever state you live in.

Bubba

Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM
rharbick
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2016 TriGlide still a Garage Queen - Lemon Laws And such

Unfortunately, Georgia’s Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. If it covers three wheeled vehicles that cost in excess of $35k is something only a court can answer. I have resisted going that route so far but my patience is about used up. I’m almost 100% sure the problem is due to a poor rebuild by the Harley dealership (which I refuse to deal with any more) that rebuilt the trike after an accident. They had to rebuild the engine and transfer it to a new frame. And the problem started after that. Now it refuses to be fixed and my trike has been useless for over a year. I have called Customer Care several times but they really have done nothing so far other then document the problem and give me a case number. I can’t sell the trike in it’s current condition, and consider it unsafe to ride when I don’t know what’s causing the lights to come on. I’m about one visit away from hiring a lawyer and suing Harley and the dealership that did the repairs after the accident demanding either a complete new engine (installed by my current dealership), a new trike or they buy the trike back from me. This whole mess is giving my blood pressure fits.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I had the same problem with H-D Corp. Mine was a bad paint/fiberglass issue. Thankfully I could still ride. About the same amount of trips to dealer - they even agreed with me. H-D Corp. still said no. Regional rep finally came and looked and said "Yep, that's a paint problem alright." Weeks passed and still no action. I finally got fed up and told the dealer to cancel my upgrade appointment. I had an 03 Ultra and was going to have a 6 speed trans put in. I guess that was too much money to loose so the next day the dealer called and said H-D OK'd the replacement. This took a whole year to resolve. I still don't know if H-D caved in or the dealer just absorbed the cost for good relations.

I guess the old adage is true = Money talks
that truly sucks

Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

sounds like a wiring problem to me. i would start looking at grounds.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Unfortunately, Georgia’s Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. If it covers three wheeled vehicles that cost in excess of $35k is something only a court can answer. I have resisted going that route so far but my patience is about used up. I’m almost 100% sure the problem is due to a poor rebuild by the Harley dealership (which I refuse to deal with any more) that rebuilt the trike after an accident. They had to rebuild the engine and transfer it to a new frame. And the problem started after that. Now it refuses to be fixed and my trike has been useless for over a year. I have called Customer Care several times but they really have done nothing so far other then document the problem and give me a case number. I can’t sell the trike in it’s current condition, and consider it unsafe to ride when I don’t know what’s causing the lights to come on. I’m about one visit away from hiring a lawyer and suing Harley and the dealership that did the repairs after the accident demanding either a complete new engine (installed by my current dealership), a new trike or they buy the trike back from me. This whole mess is giving my blood pressure fits.
I'll bet it is. It really sucks that we have this kind of money in these bikes and this is the way Harley reacts.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues