Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Suggestions for new lady Tri-glide rider

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:26 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Yes, I have a back rest and it helps tremendously, except it isn't adjustable and I have a hard time reaching it. If I have luggage on the back seat it will push it forward enough so I can use it on long trips. I need to get an adjustable one. If you are 5'4, I am not sure you will need new bars. I would try it first. The reach seat puts you forward quite a bit. I feel real comfy with my bars. I got the 84T, but have since found out the 70T would be your best bet. I have gotten use to the clutch, but took awhile. It is about a 20% reduction in pull, and I believe the 70T is 40%. I was told that the 70T wasn't the one to get at the time I was inquiring. I am happy with mine though for the time being. If I can pull the clutch with arthritis and very small hands, you will do great with the 70T. Now, when i took mine in for service last month, they "adjusted" my clutch and I couldn't pull it. Had hubby adjust it back to where I am comfy. I need it to engage about 1/2 way out and they had it way out to the end. NOT GOOD!!
I had the reach seat on my 06 Ultra and it moves you forward 1".

Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to soon-to-be-TG owner!! I have the stock handlebars and seat...to make it more comfy put a Kuyaukin (sp?) sheepskin cover...just finished a 10-day, 1821 mile trip. I had V&H oval slip-ons pipes installed and SE tuner....other than that, all stock. A 3-wheeler is slower thru mountain curves than a 2-wheeler....I ride my 'comfort level' and don't try to keep up with others. If the speed limit coming into a corner says 40 mph, I'm usually doing 35. Better safe than sorry.

You will love, love the TG!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:07 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azbob09
Oops! We're still learning how to use this site. Sorry about repeating this. We are getting the TG with the SE A/C, SE mufflers, & SE super tuner, along with the smart tuner software which is required on 2010 models when the SE super tuner is used, & the dealer will do the tuning. Bob always removes the leg fairings on his 2006 103ci SE Ultra in the summer months to help keep the engine, and us, cooler. We plan on doing the same for the TG. We've noticed from other threads that you live in the southwest like we do & that you have had some heating issues, as have other TG owners in other areas of the country. What have you done to try to alleviate this problem, & how successful have you been? Any other comments/advice, from anyone, will be appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, I’m about 250 miles west of you and our summer temps usually run about 6-10 degrees warmer than Phoenix. First of all, as I have stated here many time, I don’t believe that there is one single fix to the heat problem; I believe that the heat issue must be addressed from several different directions!

Whereas; I have not totally resolved my heat problem; however, I have managed to reduce my oil temps from 300 degrees to about 278 degrees on a 118 degree day.

I accomplished this by doing the following:
Installed a fuel management system by Fuel Moto, installed a SE A/C, replaced the stock 6 row oil cooler with a Jagg 10 row, installed a Big Sky oil cooler fan kit and run 20W60 synthetic oil. I also installed a set of Vance and Hines slip-ons and am waiting for some one to come out with a set of true duals for the TG.

Oh yes, last but certainly not least, I have written MOCO several letters about the heat issues on my TG and hopefully if others do likewise, maybe…just maybe we can get their attention!

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:16 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Safety First

Okay, all you old riders lets forget about the add-ons and enhancements. Lets keep her from getting hurt first!

1. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT put your feet down when you stop. If you run over your own foot it hurts like hell and could cripple you for life.

2. When going into a slow speed, sharp turn like at an intersection DO your downshifting before going into the corner. If you have to shift while in the corner, it is hard because you are either pulling on the left grip in a left turn or pushing on the left grip in a right turn. It makes it very difficult to operate the clutch even for a strong person.

3. You are carrying a lot more weight overall, DO slow down more before making a hard turn or coming up to a stopping situation. It take more time to get slowed down.

Now the rest of you old timers, what else does she need to know concerning riding?

PS: Lots of luck and have many many great days riding. You will love riding a trike.

The following users liked this post:
pioneer11 (11-27-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:03 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

is sept 09 the last post here?---surely not

Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Nope... Its Nov. 24 2016.........

Old 11-25-2016, 09:20 AM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wrongo 11/25/16

Old 11-27-2016, 08:14 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Surprised no one mentioned fender clearance when fueling. I've learned to angle in and push back when done so to speak.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:32 PM
pioneer11
Tourer
Received 671 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by kentuckydave
Okay, all you old riders lets forget about the add-ons and enhancements. Lets keep her from getting hurt first!

1. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT put your feet down when you stop. If you run over your own foot it hurts like hell and could cripple you for life.
+1 on this. Did it, mashed ankle, 6 weeks in a cast and still not quite right after 5 months.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

2009 thread.....it is now 11/29/16!!