Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Modifications – The ABC’s of Removing Rider Heat A + B = C

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Something is missing from this comparison, Wiz........ wink,wink.........

Yes, you are correct.. the comparison itself Jimmy. It's not a comparison but a heat reduction report. Others are welcome to post their own heat reduction information and I look forward to reading it too.

You trying to start trouble, again... ?? I'm going to come over to your house and tell yo momma! LOL

btw... how did Doc's tune on your MM PCIII do for the gas mileage?

Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Took a little extra time but as I promised, the next time I did this modification I would post my findings here.

This would be a nice place for all you guys to post what mods you've found were helpful also. All this info can be in one place instead of being spread out in this forum.

The catless headpipe, the stage I and the fuel managment system, the basic three fundamental steps for the cool down and a little extra performance.

When talking fuel mangement even as a novice I can see the advantages of the TTS system. Harley may be using the EFI-ECM controlled fuel system for EPA purposes but the EFI for perfomance is a system well suited for the Twin Cam. I can't see any fuel management system that cuts out the 02 sensors and does not let you take full advantage of controlling all the engine perameters. The TTS just seems more versatile with a broader range of perameters you can adjust. The option to save your original ECM program and to recalibrate the speedo when doing gear change setups is also a plus. I am not familiar with the popular fuel management systems with the auto tune, other than the added cost over the base units they may be fine.

The other basic seems to be a good synthetic oil.

For the **** or overkill types the High Capacity Oil Cooler with fans and the parade fan just add a little extra reassurance.

If we added anything to the list it would have to be the cams but to date I have not heard of enough extra cooling or performance to warrant the trouble or the expense. I am just talking about the 2 main drop ins, the SE-255 or the Woods W6-6.

I believe the people that will want the Trike HD should have built will go with the cams and the new 11 gear on and above the basic three mods.

I believe most will be satisfied with the basic three mods - Headpipe & free Flowing Mufflers, Fuel System Management and Stage I AC. The deep south and south west people that spend a lot of time in city traffic will go with the upgraded oil cooler and parade fans. No brainer there, most police bike units that spend a lot of time in heavy traffic use the parade duty fan. Although when L.A. was thinking about dropping HD and going with BMW the water cooled bikes did not need them.

4000 units HD lost with just that one metropolitan area would be a big hit for HD, if you have to service and maintain high use bikes that stay at idle a lot you won't buy a bike that is already running hot, eventually you will go water cooled. Yamaha pulled out of the Police bike Market and BMW at the time did not have anti-lock breaks, " a LAPD requirement". I don't know if BMW got that contract or not.

Last edited by coupe55; 08-14-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old 08-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by zoood
Very informative indeed! Even though I made my product for the rider's comfort and to blend with the Harley's appearance from day one. Since HD came out with theirs. I was curious in the comparison from a technical stand point of heat deflection. Very good job there Wizard. Excuse me, Make that Mr. Wizard!

zoood/RJ
Make that Wiz will ya RJ. To be honest with you... if your product didn't work I would have made that clear in my report. Same goes for the other product used.

That said, there are other products available that may do a better job. I didn't take these readings for the others that I have done. Their smile while riding the TG with the mods was all the statistics needed.

I don't have another TG lined up right now, it will be later this fall and we are installing cams and TTS... Not sure of the pipe style. I will do a similar report depending on the product of their choice if I can.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

You trying to start trouble, again... ?? I'm going to come over to your house and tell yo momma! LOL

btw... how did Doc's tune on your MM PCIII do for the gas mileage?

I'd NEVER start trouble!
Mileage suffered, but the bike screams for what it is. I'm averaging 36.5 with normal riding. Less when my hand grabs extra. Already considering a cam change too.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Nice write up Coupe...

I really do hope others join in with their own reports when they can.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:10 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Forgot to add link

http://www.policemag.com/Blog/Vehicl...or-Patrol.aspx

The R1200RT type II Water Cooled is just around 800 CC and 85 HP, I don't think they will be suitable for every police Dept.

The initial units for motor patrol were I think 429 but the total units could reach almost 4000 units when LA switches all of it's Motor Cycle mounted to BMW.

Last edited by coupe55; 08-14-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I don't have another TG lined up right now, it will be later this fall and we are installing cams and TTS... Not sure of the pipe style. I will do a similar report depending on the product of their choice if I can.
Cool, I can drop mine off and keep you busy...don't want the devil to get those idle hands ya know!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by Casper
Cool, I can drop mine off and keep you busy...don't want the devil to get those idle hands ya know!
I've got a couple of other bikes to do but not a TG but the guest house is always ready if you want to come down.

We'll tear apart your TG real good.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell, that write up, Mr. Wizard, makes me want to buy a TriGlide!!! Believe it or not, "better-half" has been talking about it. Here we go again!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default EPA Trike's

UltraBrian,The Tri was a solid platform with many good attributes and HD found a ready market for us old boomers who are trying to buy a few more years in the saddle. Yes there is a strong female oriented market there also! The EPA killed it but having said that, if you know and understand what has to be done to them beyond the purchase price in order for them to run cooler and perform to minimum expectations, you will still have yourself a good trike.

Some of us did not do our homework and some were the first off the iceflow when purchasing a Tri Glide. It has been a full year of bitching and working the problem but you are fortunate enough to have come in on the end of it.

You will be able to make a more informed decision about purchasing a Tri Glide. The 11 with the new gear may get you out of having to do the cams. I could not even find one to test ride when I purchased mine, if you can find one to demo I would advise it.

Last edited by coupe55; 08-14-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: TG Modifications – The ABC’s of Removing Rider Heat A + B = C