Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Old 08-21-2010, 06:30 PM
dj50950
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen, thanks for the input, both pro and con. Lots to think before I plunk down $30k
plus.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:13 PM
DaveLaBenne
Cruiser

I completely agree with the heat and performance complaints! This bike is a dog! I gave up performance riding when I switched to a touring rig. I don't need hair on fire speed or take-offs. I would like to cruise down the highway 2-up at 70 in 6th gear though. We rode to Sturgis and 6th gear was rarely used. We had a head wind and hills that prevented it. The heat is bearable short term or when ambient is in the high 60's. Anything above that, it cooks your ***!

Even with all the faults of the bike, I still like it. Will do the performance and heat reducing mods that have been highlighted in the forums. Just going to wait until the warrantee is up. Already getting looks at the dealer for the trailer hitch.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:00 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fair Evaluation

Originally Posted by DaveLaBenne
I completely agree with the heat and performance complaints! This bike is a dog! I gave up performance riding when I switched to a touring rig. I don't need hair on fire speed or take-offs. I would like to cruise down the highway 2-up at 70 in 6th gear though. We rode to Sturgis and 6th gear was rarely used. We had a head wind and hills that prevented it. The heat is bearable short term or when ambient is in the high 60's. Anything above that, it cooks your ***!

Even with all the faults of the bike, I still like it. Will do the performance and heat reducing mods that have been highlighted in the forums. Just going to wait until the warrantee is up. Already getting looks at the dealer for the trailer hitch.
With out the expletives or the drama, I really should have done this one.
The sour grapes come with the extra expense above the sticker we paid for the Tri for the cooling and performance mods.

Good thread though, because now the people that read this won't be hit with the Harley Tax out of the blue. If you know what you are dealing with going in, the extra couple of thousand you have to invest won't matter.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoke with a 2011 TG owner yesterday--nice light blue w/black trim. He only had 70 miles on it. Said he was a previous wing owner and the TG was a real learning experience. I mentioned the heat and he agreed. Noticed he had over a grand in added bling like 660 Garmin, lots of chrome trim, and floor boards with embedded blue LEDs (also around engine). Hated to tell him he would probably be investing more!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 AM
DaveLaBenne
Cruiser

Originally Posted by coupe55
With out the expletives or the drama, I really should have done this one.
The sour grapes come with the extra expense above the sticker we paid for the Tri for the cooling and performance mods.

Good thread though, because now the people that read this won't be hit with the Harley Tax out of the blue. If you know what you are dealing with going in, the extra couple of thousand you have to invest won't matter.
The Harley tax is there on everything they sell. They give you a base canvas to create your own masterpiece. Some want a lightning fast beast for getting from watering hole to watering hole. Others want a comfortable rig to see the country on. I've had a sportster, dyna, softtail, road king, electraglide classic, and now a triglide, all have needed something to make them mine. If I was planning on moving it down the road, I didn't add too much to it. If I was keeping it long term, I would bling it out. There is little return on the investment in bling when selling, same goes for major motor work. Had a friend who did a lot to his fat boy, zippers 120", 240 rear, custom paint, etc. Over $20k on top of the $18k for the bike. When he sold it, he got $18.5k but had a great time riding it.

The MOCO is trying to satisfy the EPA with all the garbage they hang on the engines. The EPA is going after the large rigs first, all manufacturers included. Big brother is cramping our collective hobby/passion!

I settled on a black one expecting to do some custom paint. I'm not one for the limited colors you see in the catalog. Seeing the blue in person sometimes makes me wish that I would have waited and ordered that color, but I would have lost 2 months ride time.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
rebelrph
Stage II

I bought a 2010 Saturday for my wife and as soon as the dealer opens this morning (Monday) I'm calling to see if I can get my money back!

I wish I had asked that question earlier and after researching this weekend I've found out what I thought was an isolated problem with this bike is instead the norm. There is no way she could keep up with my '03 Ultra !

I'll let you know what happens.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelrph
I bought a 2010 Saturday for my wife and as soon as the dealer opens this morning (Monday) I'm calling to see if I can get my money back!

I wish I had asked that question earlier and after researching this weekend I've found out what I thought was an isolated problem with this bike is instead the norm. There is no way she could keep up with my '03 Ultra !

I'll let you know what happens.

I’ll predict what will happen; the dealer will say no return and that he will say…”that’s normal”!

If you would have checked out this sight before you bought, you could have saved yourself a lot of grief. Most of us early owners did not have the benefit of this information or a test ride when we bought.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had watched this site for around 7 months befor i bought wifes 2010 flhxxx so knew i would be trying to correct heat problem , the cat in the pipe and the gear change on the '11 pi$s me off. otherwise im happy with it.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
i had watched this site for around 7 months befor i bought wifes 2010 flhxxx so knew i would be trying to correct heat problem , the cat in the pipe and the gear change on the '11 pi$s me off. otherwise im happy with it.
Same here. Plus the rear brake up grade harder rear rotors and larger foot print on the rear Pads for the 11's.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
Same here. Plus the rear brake up grade harder rear rotors and larger foot print on the rear Pads for the 11's.
didnt know rotor was harderjust that pads were bigger, i have lyndall gold+ pads to put on when i do the pulley change as i will have the rear wheels off, also plan to remove entire park brake system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners