Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

3000 Mile Road Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM
rearnold
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3000 Mile Road Trip Report

My Friend Wally called me a couple a months ago to find out if I would like to go to the Balloon fest in ABQ, since it was not advisable to travel into Mexico at this Time. Wally and I have done a few trip to Mexico in the past. His friend was coming from Mexico City and wants to go to the balloon fest. Wally also wants to go to the Million Dollar Hwy in Durango. So I lined up John a friend that has traveled with us in the past.

The trip started in the Rio Grande Valley at an elevation of 84 ft. an continued to as high as 11, 600 ft. Temperatures ranged from 90s to 46 during the day time. My oil temperature never exceeded 260. My max speed was 80 mph on Interstate 10 to an average speed of around 65-70 on other instates and 4 lane roads. Total miles 3058, 102 gals, with average of 29.90 mpg. Lowest mpg 22.88, highest 40.71 this was with all the mods and one up. I was happy with the way my trike performed on the whole trip. I could use cruise control on the interstates and hill and not have to down shift as before to get around traffic or up hills.

From Mission to west of San Antonio mostly 4 lane speed vary from 35 to 70. 26.93. From San Antonio to Ft Stockton speed 70-80 and average 24.88 mpg. From Ft Stockton to Durango, Co Speed from 35 to 70 fuel mileage started to improve average 35.82. From Durango to back home 35 to 80, 28.28 mpg.

The whole trip was without any problem. Only one morning of light rain in Durango, but by the time we got to Silverton in had stop and the rest of the day was sunny. We rode from Durango to Ridgway to Cortez back to Durango. We were going to go to Mesa Verde NP that day, but were running late so we went to Mesa Verde the next day. Both rides I would recommend whole heartily. http://www.nps.gov/meve/

Since we had to change our plans, we skipped going to Los Alamos from Durango. We head to Albuquerque to the balloon fest. We stayed at the Motel 6 about a mile from the Balloon Park. When we arrived, we unpacked our bikes an got in the traffic jam to the balloon park. Due to weather the festable had not been able to have the really big balloons light up a night. So tonight was supposed to be the big event. We inched along with everyone else, oil temp 260, temp outside 65-70. Just as we would have had to turn into the park and got stuck with all the other traffic. A police officer came up beside me on a BMW and told me the events of that night had been cancelled to include the firework. If I want to he could put us back on the main road. I said yes and the rest followed me. As soon as I could I pulled off to the side of the road and told the others what had happen.

We decided then to go to the Tram that goes to 10000 ft above the city. When we got there it was around 7. We saw that they have a restaurant on top so we made reservation at 8.30. The view was nice a night and the food were expensive, but good. 140.00 For a party of 4. We got back to the hotel at about midnight.

Wally and his friend want to get up around 4 and go see the balloons light up in the morning. I told them to take lots of pictures and John and I would see them when they got back. The next morning John and I walk to burger King sat out on the grass an watched the balloon launch.

After breakfast we went to the Harley shop about ½ mile from the motel. We called Wally to tell him where we were and to meet us there. Wally told me that he was part of a chase crew and didn’t know when they would be back.

John and I hung around the shop, until we were told about the Turquoise Trail that runs from east of ABQ to Santa Fe. This is a link to the trail; http://www.turquoisetrail.org/ the fellow that we were talking to told us about a bar/restaurant that was built to look like the one in the movie Wild Hogg’s. It on HWY 14 at exit 175 on Interstate 40. It runs north to just south of Santa Fe. It was a nice ride with a few curve and hills. The restaurant was crowed so we just took a quick look and when on to Santa Fe to take state hwy 4 back to ABQ thru Los Alamos.

St Hwy 4 is a great ride with very scenic and twisty road. I wish we would have had time to ride this route both ways. There are no food or gas station on this route so be sure to fill you tank.

The next morning John and I headed for Palo Duro Canyon via Amarillo, which is about 30 miles south of Amarillo. http://www.palodurocanyon.com/. Palo Duro is the second largest canyon in the US. Unlike the Grand Canyon you can ride to the bottom of this canyon. The roads are well maintained and the scenery is great. Lot of twisty curves and hills. The roads have water crossing so be careful. They have 6 or 7 crossing, but only one had water over it the day we were there. Those jackpot pipes I have blow beautiful bubbles.

From Palo Duro we headed south to Sweetwater to spend the night. The next morning we headed to Junction to get on I10 to head home. Just south of Sweetwater, you will see wind turbines as far as you can see on both sides of the road. There were 100s of them and the road passes right beside some of them. I only saw 2 or 3 that were not working.

When we had left ABQ, we left Wally and his friend a sleep. They were going back to the valley via El Paso and I10. When we got to Junction on I10 and headed east to San Antonio, I saw a bike in front of me that looked like Wally’s bike. As I came along side it was them. We could not have planned the meeting if we had to. So they road the rest of the way home with us.

I enjoyed the trip; my trike got a good work out. 12599 on my trike so far. I’ll have to wait till spring time before I take another long trip. So it will be the hill country and local trip for a while.

Robert

Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a great trip!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a great ride.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a wonderful time you guys had! Thanks for taking the time and writing this up for us. Do you have any pictures? Glad your trike did good for you!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone should do the ABQ Balloon Fiesta at least once, it’s a great experience. Glad you guys enjoyed and thanks for sharing.

Jim

Old 10-22-2010, 05:58 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Sounds like you had a great trip.