Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Oil Temp check?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp check?

How do you check the oil temperature on the TG? I hear alot about that topic on this forum.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Dawg
most concerned with that have replaced their air temp gauge in the front fairing with a oil temp gauge...do a search in the touring section and there's a lot about it, even install photos....
I may do that one day...

Old 11-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Casper
Dawg
most concerned with that have replaced their air temp gauge in the front fairing with a oil temp gauge...do a search in the touring section and there's a lot about it, even install photos....
I may do that one day...
Yep had this done to mine before delivery. First trip home in 90 degree temps the hottest she got was 260. Yesterday in high 40-low 50's about 185 and that was at 60mph. I had the lower fairings open on both trips. Waiting until the 1st service to have the Stage 1 installed including my Fuelmoto header and exhausts.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there an "acceptable", as well as "unacceptable" oil temp range that we must stay within? I have never worried about that on my other bikes. Seems like the MoCo would install a temp guage if it is needed.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
Is there an "acceptable", as well as "unacceptable" oil temp range that we must stay within? I have never worried about that on my other bikes. Seems like the MoCo would install a temp guage if it is needed.
I suppose the MoCo doesn't want us to know the actual oil temps on the air-cooled engine, lol! That ambient air temp gauge is useless.
Before any mods, I believe the oil temps will hit 300* on a hot day---not good for synthetic or dino oil. I installed my gauge after the mods. My oil temps now run about 230*-240*. I believe others with the same mods will agree.
Read through earlier posts here, especially those by Mr. Wizard. You will see why the TG doesn't cool as well as the two-wheelers.

Last edited by Boom; 11-07-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also dumper the semi worthless air temp gage and installed the oil temp one.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

+1 and thanks to the help from the members here at least I'm on the right track. I can't install a parade fan as the Pingel shifter installation prevents that. I'm waiting on Robert from Ultracool who is working on a dual waterproof fan system for the stock HD cooler. If the time frame for his R&D will be unacceptable before summer here and it's 90+ everyday I'll go with the Jagg 10 row and call it a day. He has all of my information and I've offered to be a guinea pig for testing.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock TG was running 300* oil temps before I did the mod’s listed in my signature, now I’m in the 230*-240*. As far as a low, I try not to work the engine too hard until I get to 180*.

Jim

Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Sweet Spot

Originally Posted by Boom
I suppose the MoCo doesn't want us to know the actual oil temps on the air-cooled engine, lol! That ambient air temp gauge is useless.
Before any mods, I believe the oil temps will hit 300* on a hot day---not good for synthetic or dino oil. I installed my gauge after the mods. My oil temps now run about 230*-240*. I believe others with the same mods will agree.
Read through earlier posts here, especially those by Mr. Wizard. You will see why the TG doesn't cool as well as the two-wheelers.
I agree, whole heartedly. In July and August under Idle conditions 300 f. and above temps have been turned in on the forum. Some dino will start to break down over 240 and even the main synthetic oils we use don't take you much over the 300 F. Range.

Most are satisfied with a good synthetic and temps around 240-250 on a hot day in traffic. The EIMTS does not engage until the sensor in the front cylinder reached 285, a good rule of thumb for me is to get your Tri to where the EIMTS is not kicking in at idle with a good synthetic oil in the crankcase. I will run about 240-250 in traffic on 95+ degree days with the parade fan and Jagg 10 row oil cooler fan on, NO CAT, 13:8 fuel ratio in Idle Range and amsoil.

Since the weather has cooled off I am rarely opening up the cooler so I am a little worried now about moisture in the oil. Will have the oil analyzed soon to see where I stand, others have posted no water in oil in their analysis so I feel somewhat confident I will be OK in this regard.

Last edited by coupe55; 11-07-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add words
Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<Quote in-part> Seems like the MoCo would install a temp guage if it is needed. <End Quote in-part>
And I have some swamp land that I would like to sell you.

Jim

Quick Reply: Oil Temp check?