Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Transmission Sprocket Change Begins

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Got chance to work on the Trike a touch more today, maybe I should have staid in bed.

I started by loosening the belt, taking it off the sprocket and removing the lock plate. This is a shot of the plate being taken off and the transmission sprocket locking tool installed.

As some have learned my dad and I are both **** about things sometimes. I couldn't bring myself to use a pipe wrench on the sprocket nut wrench so I figured I'd use a 40" 3/4" drive breaker bar with a 3/4 to 1/2 impact reducer. Here is my smiling face getting ready to give it a go.

A closer picture of everything lined up and ready to loosen the sprocket nut.

The best laid plans of mice & men, the poor little impact adapter wasn't up to the task I snapped it like a cheap toy.

So I tossed being **** out the window and broke out the pipe wrench and a 3' cheater and got that nut off.

Got the nut off and thought I would make some good progress.... think again. I cleaned the threads on the transmission and the sprocket nut with brake parts cleaner and then got ready to install the new 30 tooth sprocket. Per the manual I put some oil on the sprocket face and the nut face and then applied red permanent lock tite to the nut. When I went to install the sprocket locking tool and the nut wrench I found out the locking tool will not go on when the nut wrench is installed or visa versa. I decided to tighten the drive belt and have my dad hold the back brakes while I tightened the nut. I'm a chicken. When I saw the belt stretching while I tightened the nut I quit, maybe it won't happen but I have evil visions of taking a tooth or 2 off my belt. So I have emailed Georges Garage which is where we bought the tools from to see what he can do. So until I get some answers back from them I'm in a holding pattern.

Last edited by msocko3; 11-09-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Fix broken links
Old 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Right Tools?

I'm going to order the tools also after the Holidays. HD part #'s and was wanting to check Jims "out until after thanksgiving", I notice they give Jims webpage and ph. no. for replacement parts so I assume he has the whole kit. Anyone used this sprocket holder or would the clearance problems be the same.??

Was wondering if this is the same tool?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04995.pdf

Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I see why I chickened out and had the dealer do it.
Best of luck guys!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:43 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Reproduction

I have started seeing a lot of reproduction HD tools, look the same but wonder about the quality, and the dimensions.

HD have their part #'s but refer to Jims for parts. I am assuming they are the same tools. A tool that looks the same but is so big it blocks you off from getting to that nut, reproduction?? Almost bought off ebay until I noticed reproduction tool in the ad.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For this particular job, I've seen a lot of recommendations for the tools from Georges Garage. And the price seems to be right also.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

One word of advice....if your gonna' do it...get the GOOD tool. I have one that was pretty cheap but you beat it up pretty badly and it would not last more than 3-4 times. But....hey, all I wanted to do it was one time anyway.

I was going to make a suggestion to 3 but I see where some inner primary changes have been made and my "fix" to install/remove the pulley won't work. On the earlier cases....the primary chain sprocket locking tool would wedge between the pulley teeth and the transmission output shift lever and hold the pulley....but that won't work in this case.

3....just man-up and put that nut on with your fingers!

Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Tool Man

Originally Posted by 1550vt
One word of advice....if your gonna' do it...get the GOOD tool. I have one that was pretty cheap but you beat it up pretty badly and it would not last more than 3-4 times. But....hey, all I wanted to do it was one time anyway.

I was going to make a suggestion to 3 but I see where some inner primary changes have been made and my "fix" to install/remove the pulley won't work. On the earlier cases....the primary chain sprocket locking tool would wedge between the pulley teeth and the transmission output shift lever and hold the pulley....but that won't work in this case.

3....just man-up and put that nut on with your fingers!
The primary chain locking bar is the one I have home made, just a straight bar. I thought I had it made and would just have to buy the special socket and the alignment bearing combo. I have not been in this area of the bikes for awhile, then notice this fancy clamp for the primary pulley...

I think I even offered to make somebody one, glad they did not take me up on it....lol

Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I would never have thought that 30-tooth diameter would have been that much less than the 32-tooth, but that's what the problem is. You may wind up "machining" the end of that locking tool to get the clearance.

How much space is there between the top of the pulley and the bottom of the starter casing?

Last edited by 0734; 11-24-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Below is the reply I received from George.

The sprocket locking tool is to be used on the stock 32 tooth pulley only.
It was never designed to be used on 30 tooth pulley. That's why it won't fit
with the sprocket wrench. The inside of each pulley is different in diameter
requiring a different radius to be used on a 30 tooth pulley. Even the outer
diameter different.
To tighten the nut without the locking tool, you can put the bike in 5th
gear, stand on the brake and torque the pulley nut.

Thanks, George
George's Garage

So it looks like the tool from him is only good for the larger sprockets. Looks like I may have to take 1550vt's advice and man up and use my fingers. Unless anyone thinks its a bad idea I'm going to try the way George recommended, putting it in 5th and holding the rear brakes.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys I read in American Iron Mag Bakers selling 30tooth pulley said had to change belt length . I would check into that before going to all that trouble and putting everthing back.

Quick Reply: Transmission Sprocket Change Begins