Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Variable Pressure Clutch Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Variable Pressure Clutch Install

This is a very simple install, should take around one hour. This is the VP70T but is the same for others.
Clutch pull was noticably reduced. I took readings of how much force was needed to hold the clutch in after the install. I could not get readings befor as it far exceded my pull gage of 4 1/2 pounds capacity.
Pressure needed to hold clutch in at end of lever where little finger rests-not running cold 2lbs.8ozs., at idle cold 2lbs.12ozs.,, at middle of lever where middle finger rests- not running cold 3lbs.8ozs., at idle cold 3lbs.12ozs.

First remove the derby cover and adjust the clutch. It is impossible to adjust the clutch after VPC install without a special tool. ( I have an 11/16" socket with a small handle welded to it leaving the center open to be able to insert an allen wrench, this will work after install).

Secound remove the 6 10mm bolts from the retaining ring (pic#1) and the retaining ring,these bolts along with the retaining ring will not be reused.

Third bend the tabs slightly on the supplied base plate (pic#2) then install it behind the diaphragm spring plate, be sure the bent tabs face outward and that it centers and slips over the lip on the clutch hub (pic#3)

Fourth move the diaphragm spring plate into correct position and and install the variable clutch unit, tighten every other bolt a little at a time untill snug,(pic#4) snug up the remaining 3 bolts and torque all 6 bolts 90-110 in.lbs.

Fifth reinstall the derby cover and you are done. If you are using a full derby cover gasket the center needs to be cut out (pic#5)

Attached Thumbnails Variable Pressure Clutch Install-1.jpg   Variable Pressure Clutch Install-2.jpg   Variable Pressure Clutch Install-3.jpg   Variable Pressure Clutch Install-4.jpg   Variable Pressure Clutch Install-5.jpg  

Last edited by icebite1; 02-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 PM
joediver1943
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 12 Posts

Icebite1 I have been waiting for your report on installing VPC70T before I made my decision as to which to go with. There has been some comments on the Forum that they did not find the clutch pull to be any harder than on their other bikes but mine is much harder to pull than my stock 09 Ultra. AIM's website says that you should expierence about a 40% reduction in clutch pull. Does that sound about right to you? Also did you stay with the stock spring or change it. Thanks again to all for the help.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my 70T when I took the TG in for 30 tooth pulley install (didn't want dealer to see it). I couldn't remember what the trike was like without it but I'm sure glad I reinstalled it when I got the TG back home. I missed the easier pull. I would leave the stock TG clutch spring as is, IMHO.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

I stayed with stock spring, it was noticably easier to pull the clutch and and pressure was reduced alot to hold it in, as for the 40% reduction i couldnt measure the befor pressures but would say the differance is significant. I had no trouble with stock clutch but this is wifes TG so am trying to make everything easy for her.

Last edited by icebite1; 04-05-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Nice writeup, the VPC sure takes the sting out of the clutch pull. A few years back when I 1st tried the SE spring on my 06 Ultra I was not happy with the increased clutch pull, made the stock Triglide clutch pull feel tame. After installing the VPC my pull was easier than the stock spring was, IMO it is the best money I spent.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 PM
joediver1943
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 12 Posts

Just what I wanted to hear. I am ordering mine tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior

I recently heard rumblings of the Aim VPC wearing out prematurely, so after seeing Dennis and Dave(Wiz) have come up with a solution for the clutch pull I pulled my VPC off to check it. Sure enough just after 12,000 miles its showing what I consider unacceptable wear. In fact behind the Diaphram spring it was packed with fine metal dust, it gets trapped there as it is slung out by centrifugual force thats why I never noticed it when I chaged the primary oil at 10,000 miles.
In the pics you can see the wear spots. The white pencil points to groves worn into their base spring plate by the fingers and the brown one points to the wear on the metal bead around the underside of the VPC unit.
I didnt notice any problem with the operation of the clutch but am sure this would have caused problems soon.
I reinstalled the original parts and after I had gotten done with it the wife jumped on and took off for the store not knowing what I had done. When she got back she told me I had to check out the clutch because it was real hard to pull in.
I am now waiting for the new ClutchWiz to be delivered.

Attached Thumbnails Variable Pressure Clutch Install-img_0596.jpg   Variable Pressure Clutch Install-img_0600.jpg  

Last edited by icebite1; 08-29-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested installing one. Missing two fingers, so reduced pull is important. Was going with the Harley product.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael knowles
I'm interested installing one. Missing two fingers, so reduced pull is important. Was going with the Harley product.

Did you consider the Clutchwiz?

Quick Reply: Variable Pressure Clutch Install