Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

U-Haul Trailer Rental

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Morning all,
Need some help here. I've got to trailer the trike about 200 miles north after the mods are done. We are going up to Doc's Performance TTS school for two days and doing the V-Tunes on the Trike. I can not find a ramped enclosed trailer. U-haul offers two ramped open trailers one is 9'2"L and 4'9"w with a 4'9" ramp. The other is 12'L and 6'2"w also with a 4'9" ramp.

With my bike being 40 miles north, I can't measure it. Stopped by the local dealer yesterday tape in hand and they do not have a Tri in stock. Any ideas or help would be appreciated on what trailer will work. I need to get a reservation made. I would prefer using the smaller of the two if she'll fit. The length is not a problem, it's the width I'm concerned about. Both trailers can be viewed on U-Hauls website. Thanks in advance.
Buddy.....
Buddy, are you sure that the ramp is only 4’9”? That sounds awful short. With the Tri-Glide being almost 9’ long and only about 5” clearance below the pipes, it’s a certainty that you will have to extent the length of that 4’9” ramp.

Jim

P.S. I just checked the U-Haul web site and it does not give the length of the ramp on the 6’x12’ramp trailer. It shows that the width of the ramp/door opening is (only) 4’9” wide (57”) With the Tri-Glide being almost 54” wide; it’s going to be a tight squeeze!

You may want to consider a car carrier.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Buddy, are you sure that the ramp is only 4’9”? That sounds awful short. With the Tri-Glide being almost 9’ long and only about 5” clearance below the pipes, it’s a certainty that you will have to extent the length of that 4’9” ramp.

Jim

P.S. I just checked the U-Haul web site and it does not give the length of the ramp on the 6’x12’ramp trailer. It shows that the width of the ramp/door opening is (only) 4’9” wide (57”) With the Tri-Glide being almost 54” wide; it’s going to be a tight squeeze!

You may want to consider a car carrier.
Jim,
If you look at their webite again on the left is says features. One of them listed is a 57" wide spring assisted ramp. The inside width is 6'2", so that's good. It's kind of confusing and I have to pick it up at a special location. My guy down the street has a car carrier, but it's not a flatbed just two channeled flat ramps. Thanks for keeping the wheels turning though.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Jim,
If you look at their webite again on the left is says features. One of them listed is a 57" wide spring assisted ramp. The inside width is 6'2", so that's good. It's kind of confusing and I have to pick it up at a special location. My guy down the street has a car carrier, but it's not a flatbed just two channeled flat ramps. Thanks for keeping the wheels turning though.
Buddy; that’s my point, the door opening is only 57” wide. The TG is 54” wide, that will only give you 1.5” on each side of the trike’s rear fenders. You’re correct, once you get inside, the 6’2” will give you plenty of room.

Be careful and get a spotter to guide you in and out.

Jim

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Yeah Bud,
That's for sure, the Indy I work for part time will be helping. We are both going up to Minneola and attending Doc's school to learn the TTS. Trike is going for the V-Tunes and as the test bed for us to learn. I think Wiz got her pretty close with the base calibration, cause she runs really good!!

Old 04-24-2018, 07:15 PM
FreewheelerJulie
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Was able to fit?

I know this is an old thread, but I too was planning to rent a 6X12 Trailer from Uhaul for my freewheeler. Was your trike able to clear the ramp and fit into the trailer?

Old 04-25-2018, 07:23 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by FreewheelerJulie
I know this is an old thread, but I too was planning to rent a 6X12 Trailer from Uhaul for my freewheeler. Was your trike able to clear the ramp and fit into the trailer?
I don't think you will get an answer, Buddy hasn't been on the Forum in a couple of years

Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Or, you could get one of these.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:16 AM
lah2420
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

That tow setup looks interesting, but why did I have cold shivers go up my spine thinking about my expensive black beauty being harnessed into that contraption? 😦

Old 04-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

It's not for everybody, but, if you need to haul the bike and you don't have or want to buy an enclosed trailer, it's an option.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:02 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Last summer I saw a TriGlide being towed by a big'ol motorhome with just a wheel chock mounted from the bumper and the Trike just tied down to the chock.The front wheel was about a foot off the ground.
It looked like it had some sort of a pivot arm setup to lift the chock and trike wheel up. I would be afraid that transmission might pop into gear for whatever reason !

Quick Reply: U-Haul Trailer Rental