Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Intercom headset recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Scorpio49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercom headset recommendations

2013 TG. I have the basic HD headset I use with a half helmet. Wife uses the HD headset that is fixed inside her full face helmet. She would like to move to a half helmet. So now is a good time to upgrade headsets. What is recommended? Is Bluetooth available. Would like to move away from the HD plugs. Not afraid to spend some on a quality set up. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:00 AM
DJFireUSA
Cruiser

J&M is the only choice IMHO.

This coming from a goldwinger and former ultra owner (currently have an 09 RKP).

I have a contact if you want for a dealer who does really good work installing speakers in helmets. YES, bluetooth is available but I do not suggest it.

Look, I have logged over 300,000 miles since 2007 on two wheels. I know what has worked well for me. J&M is it.

Frankly HD is not the right place to look for this technology as the puny percentage of HD riders who actually USE helmet audio just does not give you a good knowledge base to pull from by comparison to other brands of bikes.

Go to a goldwing site to see what they like and you will have a PLETHORA of information thrown at you.

Last edited by DJFireUSA; 12-18-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We use the SENA SMH10 Bluetooth headsets. You can see a review at http://www.gizmag.com/sena-smh10-blu...-review/25269/. Love them.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

First question is, do you have the Zumo 660 or 665 GPS installed on the bike. If so blue tooth is available through it. I have three sets of head sets.
1. Shark, blue tooth inter acted well with the 660, down fall had to push a button on the head set to initiate the talk if you did not want on constant push for off. Did not work well with the 665 when using XM radio because it interrupts the signal too much. It was a frequency issue between the XM receiver, and the head set. Nice thing about them was I could pair with zumo, phone through zumo, wife and two other riders with blue tooth head sets.
2. Free ride wired for HD system. Works but not practical to us Voice activate, and have stereo on or when accelerating due to the level of sound. We only use with manual HD push to talk buttons. We only use when riding long distance without helmets. Then can be hard to keep on head with side winds.
3. Harley Davidson wired system. By far the best for the Harley, and again must use the push to talk feature as the exhaust on our bike and stereo will activate VOC too often. Easy to move to different helmet, and the ear piece is not as critical to place.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Scorpio49
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
First question is, do you have the Zumo 660 or 665 GPS installed on the bike. If so blue tooth is available through it. I have three sets of head sets.
1. Shark, blue tooth inter acted well with the 660, down fall had to push a button on the head set to initiate the talk if you did not want on constant push for off. Did not work well with the 665 when using XM radio because it interrupts the signal too much. It was a frequency issue between the XM receiver, and the head set. Nice thing about them was I could pair with zumo, phone through zumo, wife and two other riders with blue tooth head sets.
2. Free ride wired for HD system. Works but not practical to us Voice activate, and have stereo on or when accelerating due to the level of sound. We only use with manual HD push to talk buttons. We only use when riding long distance without helmets. Then can be hard to keep on head with side winds.
3. Harley Davidson wired system. By far the best for the Harley, and again must use the push to talk feature as the exhaust on our bike and stereo will activate VOC too often. Easy to move to different helmet, and the ear piece is not as critical to place.
Thanks for the response. I do not have zumo set up.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

IF you want to wear a full helmet, I took a pair of Sony Studio Professional headphones, dumped the head band and velcro'd the ear pieces into the ear wells of my helmet. Then, bought SENA SMH10 communications devices for wife and me. Next, a Clear Sound Bluetooth stereo transmitter and a 6pin to 3.5mm adapter. The SMH10 has an optional mounting plate that lets you plug in any headset or ear bud you want. The SMH10 unit will play your music, answer your telephone, and communicate with another SMH10 unit. Voice overrides music, telephone overrides voice. Did this until we bought the trikes. Now we use the Harley headsets. There is a clone unit that hooks over your ears and can be used with or without helmet. About 85 bucks on E-Bay. (pictures on request) Good Luck.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The wife and I use the J&M Wired set up. Works just like the Harley unit but with better sound. J&M Have both the half helmet and full helmet designs. They also have helmets with the system already installed.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 for J & M...Purchased the entire set up from J&M..Arai 3/4 with mike and speakers..Very happy with everything.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 PM
blade76
Cruiser

Can't more highly recommend Scala. We have used Q2 models for four years and now G9s. For just two riders I'd stick with Q2s. These are Bluetooth connections. We have full face, however, and while they are supposed to be fine with open helmets, I don't have experience with those.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 PM
phillutes
Stage III

I currently use Ed-Sets because I can plug in earphones. I wear half helmet no other system allowed me to hear well. It is pricey but now I can hear my tunes, intercom and CB perfectly.

Quick Reply: Intercom headset recommendations