Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lady Rider seeking guidance re potential trike purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lady Rider seeking guidance re potential trike purchase

I always wanted a Harley. Always did. Saw one fancy bike in 2000 in Reno in a show room, and fell in love. Last year, I decided to get my license. Went through several bikes, started with a 250 yamaha virago, quickly moved up to a 650 yamaha v-star and did many modifications to make it look and sound like a Harley. Didn't work. Pretty bike, but no Harley. After logging over 15,000 km in 6 months, I stumbed across a beautiful Harley: 2009 Softail Custom, in Purple...Purple!! It was on sale as they were clearing out the older models and I just had to buy it. I kept it at stock, but did add windshield and side bags and lowered it a bit as I am only 5"4. The dealer wouldn't allow me to test drive the bike. I lived about 2 hours plus a ferry ride, so I came back for the bike the next week. nervous yet excited. I have to say, the heat on my right leg was just about as unbearable as it was unexpected. As soon as I got the bike on the Island, I got it in to the Island Harley Dealership and we took it to stage 2 and changed its pipes and exhaust, and wow....I fell in love all over again. I love this bike. It feels like a motorcycle. I love everything about it. Thing is, I am a single Mother, and my 8 year old daughter doesn't want to be left behind anymore, or left with sitters. I feel guilty for leaving her and did put most of my miles on while she was visiting with her Dad, who lives far away. Still, it is expected that my daughter is almost always with me and I am seriously considering getting a Trike. I won't double on a 2-wheeler, but I would take my daughter and others on a trike. I ride horses all my life, tractors, quads, now motorcycles. I can do a trike, unless there is very good reason not to. I chose a trike, even over the Can Am Spyer, or a side car, for I am hoping it can offer the safest ride for my daughter. Maybe I am in left field and I just shouldn't take her at all. But, I am all about living a life of adventure and honestly, riding horses is very dangerous and I have had broken bones and several cuncussions to show for it. what I don't want, is to buy a trike, and get myself into so much misery for it not being what I hoped it would be. We did see a black trike on the Island's dealer, and my daughter sat on it, and loved it. I would order the new 2011 powered blue or maybe I should now just wait to see what the 2012 might bring? But maybe I shouldn't take my daughter out at all? But, then, I won't get to ride either. We live on Vancouver Island, Canada and there are many islands we can explore and with a motorcycle, there is no waiting for ferries, you just board right at the front of the line, and the costs are 1/2 to a car all most. A question I do have, on top of every other question I am asking without using words, what is the gas mileage in comparison to say, a 2 wheel bike, and in comparison, what is the insurance premium? Are we still talking that it is significantly less than a car, or on a trike, we burn close to the same fuel? I think my daughter and I could really enjoy riding a trike, and we could have the next 6 - 7 years of building memories together. I want a great adventure as safe as possible with as less problems as possible. We live in a part of the world that is fabulous for most of the year. Meant to be enjoyed outdoors...I love my Harley Softail Custom, but there is no way I would take my daughter on it. So please, let me know your thoughts, don't hold back. I am a big girl, I can take it.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM
badknees
Road Master

I say your daughter has a good Mom wanting to spend quality time with her. If the Trike is the way to go for you I say do it. Just get some test driving in to get use to it. It takes a bit of time to get use to. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

I say DO IT. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. I think you'll do just fine. Take a motorcycle safety course if you haven't already.
Ride safe : )

Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Default this is Purple_Daze - training

Hi, I should have said that I did take all the courses available on the Island last year, including an advanced course taught by Policeman (who teach other Policeman to ride).

I have tried to get informed about 2 wheel motorbikes and safety.

I do not know anything about the Trikes or about their safety rating?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tri Glide

The Tri Glide is more of a touring Trike, your softail custom is more of a cruiser, different class. The Ultra classic that is triked to Tri configuration is heavy and with the combined weight of the Trike conponents is even heavier. It will of course use more gas than a Softail Custom.

You may want to wait until Harley trikes the softail.

As for safety the same forces of physics come into play with a trike as a bike! You are still without a cage around you but on Trikes you are more visible. I personally would not say a trike is safer because the slight advantage of more visibility is negligable. You probably have a slight control advantage with a trike when riding two up over a bike in some situations, after you get acclimatied to the trike.

Having said that there is not much similarity between a cruiser bike and a touring trike. I would rent a Tri or ride a friends in order to make a seat of the pants comparison.

The following users liked this post:
Larry Birdwell (08-13-2017)
Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

First off, welcome to the forum, a lot of good info here and some very smart people ( not me)...
I think, only my opinion, that you and your daughter would like a trike, you say you're 5'4" which the trike will fit you fine and give confidence with a passenger, no balancing act required. Another plus is she will not have to sit as still as on a 2 wheeler, she could move a little, take pictures etc...uneven roads, gravel, slick spots from oil on roadway is a non-issue...so in that respect it's safer..but it is a different ride..gone is the feeling of leaning into the curves which some miss ( I do a lot)so a test ride, even as a passenger is a must, just to make sure...a rental would be the best!
If you really love your ST you could trike it instead of buying a trike. Below is a link to California Sidecar trikes, which I have owned, and I really like the kit s looks,( different for others) but it'll give you an idea...
http://www.californiasidecar.com/tri...y_volusia.html
Look around for a trike installer/dealer in your area, check them all out, you may like something different than this one...
If you go with a kit for your soft tail the installer will make all the difference in the world, not matter how good the kit is, if not installed correctly you'll have a crummy trike. RESEARCH!!!! Ask for references before you go with any trike builder...

Good luck, keep us posted...

Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you first try a trike, it's going to be different from your bike. It steers different & requires more upper body effort to do so, much like the quad you rode. I guess my point being that when you first try one, don't immediately decide if you like it or not. Promise yourself you'll put 200 miles on it before you make that decision.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it. My wife rode my Tri Glide before I did. She loves it! You will not regret it!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Looks like your getting plenty of good advice, you have lots of options. Either direction you go I don't see why you couldn't handle a Triglide. We have some lady trike riders that hang around this section who seem to do a good job at putting some serious miles on a trike with no problem so I don't think you would have any issues. Your daughter is getting to the age where she should be big enough to start teaching her how to ride as a passenger, with the proper gear and instruction she should be fine.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

I have to thank you all for your words of "wisdom" based on your individual experiences and knowledge received by net working. From this forum, I have learned much about the HD Trike and issues it has, that I would never have known. So, forewarned is fore armed! I posted another thread relative to comparison of Trike to Can Am Spyder, to broaden my research. Please keep the comments coming. I am learning much. I don't believe that I will have any problems with the weight. I haul horses around in a 1 ton dually with a 38 foot trailer. I hitch it myself, load myself...guess I can say, there is no man. Only me and my daughter. We call ourselves "Girl Power Chicklets"....what else can be done? Can not stop living. Gotta keep rolling along with adventure, smiling faces. And I want my daughter to learn that life is what it is and we make the best of it. And here is I, trying to make the most of living..everyday..making it count so not a day goes by with regrets of what I didn't do. Hugs to all...

Quick Reply: Lady Rider seeking guidance re potential trike purchase