Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
babyray
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't ride either because I don't think theyre safe after 60 mph. At some point we all are done riding motorcycles and then there's all kinds of cool cars or trucks to drive. I've never seen anyone blast around at 80 plus on either of those and if you can't do that your in somebody else's way.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by babyray
I wouldn't ride either because I don't think theyre safe after 60 mph. At some point we all are done riding motorcycles and then there's all kinds of cool cars or trucks to drive. I've never seen anyone blast around at 80 plus on either of those and if you can't do that your in somebody else's way.
Obviously you haven't had a trike kick your *** in the twisties then.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple_Daze
Hi,

If there are any folks that can give me a comparison between the trike and spider, I'd sure appreciate it.

I am well versed in various uses of quads, motorcycles, tractors, drive a large 1 ton dually and pull a 38 foot horse trailer. So, I can handle a heavy unit I think. But I want something safe and fun for my daughter and I. And of course, I love the Harley brand...naughty and nice at the same time!

I am a Mother of an 8 year old and am leaning towards a trike, but feel I must explore the option of the Can Am Spyder as well.

Warm regards

Purple_Daze
I know this is a HD forum and we all love Harley but in this case the Can Am is clearly the superior product. According to every magazine review I've ever read (CycleWorld, Motorcyclist, etc.) the Can Am spider is light years ahead of the HD trikes in design, safety, fun to drive. The dual front wheel design gives it the cornering stability of a sports car vs the tip over potential of the inherently unstable trike design.

Last edited by fat_tony; 03-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
I know this is a HD forum and we all love Harley but in this case the Can Am is clearly the superior product. According to every magazine review I've ever read (CycleWorld, Motorcyclist, etc.) the Can Am spider is light years ahead of the HD trikes in design, safety, fun to drive. The dual front wheel design gives it the cornering stability of a sports car vs the tip over potential of the inherently unstable trike design.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but please spare me and keep yours to yourself. We have battled this several times over the years. You ride what you want and I will ride what I want. I think you have already told what you can do to yourself in a corner.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Red face Sometimes there are no right answers

This is one of those occasions where we should agree that we are not all enamoured with the same machine. Kinda like the life partners we choose that perhaps others would not have? In love, where there is no rationalization, sometimes it's perfect fom the get go, others we tweak along the way to get it just right, and others, we let go of, and make another choice. For every action, there is a reaction. My heart answered for me what my mind questioned. I wasn't charmed by the look of the Spyder, but my heart began to race whenever I was standing by the TriGlide in the showroom. I am proud, very proud of my purchase...it's Classy....it's impressive and it rocks on those twisties. My choice....and I made the right one. Amen.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:13 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm a Harley Snob, I'll admit it. I do have a Bombardier boat, and two PWC's. They are fun, reliable toys. When the Spyders were introduced we were some of the first to test ride them. They too were fun, fast, and very maneuverable. I hated the riding position. You have been hanging around the Harley threads a long time trying to convince us your Spyder is a superior trike. OK, it is faster, safer, better engineered, more fun, better aerodynamics, .... just one hell of a bike. That make you feel better?? I'll bet you bought yours because it was CHEAPER. Just like all those guys riding V-Stars, Vulcans, Intruders, and Shadows. Usually the first thing out of their mouths is "It looks just like a Harley, but cost a lot less"

If you are old and crippled like me and ride a trike because you can't balance a 2 wheeler anymore, welcome to the trike world. If you are just too afraid of riding a motorcycle, and too cheap to buy a real bike/trike you have no business talking to most of us old bikers. To paraphrase that great singer/song writer Frank Zappa, "You're breaking my heart, tearing it apart, so **** You. (Sorry Terry, the devil made me say that.)

Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Screwball got it right, it's money. If non-harley riders could afford it, they would not be non-harley riders. It's ok, ride your rice burner or french-speaking trike, you'll love them. Then some day you can sell them for a third of what you paid for them new and make a down payment on a real bike or trike. I know I sound a bit prejudiced, naw I'm really prejudiced. I don't understand why someone would hyjack a HD forum to promote non-harley stuff. Just my $0.02

Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

As originator of thread, Please delete the thread.

It was wonderful help. However, now... Somebody has decided to bring a nastiness to what was helpful and kind.

Moderator, please delete....

Old 03-25-2012, 03:08 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

It was wonderful help. However, now... Somebody has decided to bring a nastiness to what was helpful and kind.

I agree this has sure run its course.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also agree with you. What started out to be an informative thread has turned into a thread from he%% by the devil himself. I sent an e-mail to a Moderator with your request Purple Daze. We will see what happens. He just may close it as there is some good informatiom in the thread.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 03-25-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder