Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:37 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode a spyder. It has alot of plastic on it and very limited storage. I think its a snow mobile with wheels. No comparison to a Tri Glide.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Tom Ricci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own either but have ridden both enough times to figure out which one works and which one doesn't. (IMO) The Tri-Glide takes a little getting used to but only a little. Kinda strange steering a three wheeler but again on the Tri-Glide not too bad. The Spyder, while fun to ride in it's own way doesn't feel natural for someone who has only ridden two wheelers most of his life. The Harley does feel very natural especially if you are already used to Harley controls and so forth. My wife didn't like the sensation of being "whipped around" on the Spyder while cornering but she felt much more stable on the Tri-Glide. Not fond of the harshness of the solid axle but all in all not too bad. Actually kinda cool not having to put your feet down at the stop signs. If it were my choice I would definitely go with the Harley.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I think we covered this ground before but will reinterate, two different animals. The Tri glide is an American Made touring trike that will hold its resale value. The Spyder is a novelty and has by no means made the cut in the trike world, it may prove to have legs and be around long enough to get a parts and dealership base for. I won't buy foreign and when I can support U.S. workers so I am somewhat prejudiced.
However it is a wierd looking contraption to me and even if HD made it I would not be caught dead on one!
Good answer Coupe.....(apples/oranges).

Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

The spyder is the crotch rocket of trikes. I have ridden them and my wife has a '09 tri glide. Sure they turn 5-6 grand at highway speeds, but they will run circles around a tri with the 998 rotax e-tek. I personally don't like the rider forward position with feet positioned behind your butt, very uncomfortable to me. No rider backrest in this position which really cut down on the number of mile I can ride. There are so called highway pegs available, but to use them you are bent into a "U". All in all the spyder is not a touring rig, grocery getter, sure. Once you learn to drift the Tri glide, it is no comparison to a jeep. My wife has become very proficient at this, but it sure eats up the rear rubber.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
mvengineer
Advanced
Default Tri Glide Vs. Spyder

Hi Guys
I did respond to Purple Daze in a private message which I am attaching, hereto. I hope Kim doesn't mind .
I tried to give her my honest opinion and I think that did help her make up her mind to go with the TG. She did send me a pm to that effect. Was glad to help her.

The Spyder is really a nice machine too and has its uses as I indicated. Some have ridden 100,000 miles on them and have enjoyed every bit of them. They are also built to last too, even with all the plastic components. The Rotax is one of the most reliable twin cams, It is Austrian built .

I cant wait for summerrrrrrrrrr.......I am getting tired of this harsh winterrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Originally Posted by icebite1
Ok, this being a HD forum, most all of us lean toward the TriGlide. There is a member here from Mich., Port Huron i think, who has both Spyder and TG, he has posted about comparisons here recently so if you havent already try a search for his threads, he had what i thought was fair info.
Originally Posted by mvengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Daze
I have been posting recently about getting some information on the HD Trike versus the Spyder and I, through my research, have noted you have both.

I wish to ride a 3-wheel machine so that I can take my 8 year old along. I do have a HD softwail custom, but I do not wish to trike it out. I can not imagine giving up the 2 wheel effect yet as I am enjoying that bike. But, I won't take my daughter on a 2-wheel and I don't want to have a side car.

I am looking for fun, but safety. A way to enjoy time out with my daughter happily with a sense of freedom. My daughter is 8 and we have at least until she is 12 or 13 of riding adventures. She may wish to ride with me longer, but then, maybe not. But for now, this is where we are.

I do understand cost. believe me. But, I do not wish to trade in my soft ail. I just wish to keep it.

So, what I am asking you, is on your experiences and the issues with both, what are the pros and cons.

And I will ask you this. If you could only keep one, which would it be and why?

Warm regards,

Kim (aka Purple_Daze)

Hi Kim
I will try to answer your question as best as I can.
I love both rides and that is why I have both so I understand why you do not want to part with your soft tail.

The Spyder and the TG are two different rides in many ways in my opinion.The Spyder is sporty, very fast,agil, easy to manuver and shift ( automatic). It is also very eyecatching where ever you go. People will be asking you about it everywhere you go. It has cool colores ( mine is yellow and very visible). It is perfect for short rides/ two hours or less and around town. I love to use it for grocery shopping with the large trunk and my bikers friend roll bag.
The HD i s much better built qualitywise. It is much more comfortable for long drives as it is a touring bike. Leg/foot position is much better than Spyder.
I always say this, the Spyder is like my yellow corvette as a sports car and the TG is like a black Cadillac, family and classy car.

As I said I love them both and somedays I like riding the TG, others, Spyder depending on mood!!!
If I was forced to keep only one....... I must say I would keep The Tri glide Ultra classic. It is such a classic, beautiful and reliable machine.
Good luck and let me know if I can assist in any way......Take care Jason
Originally Posted by mvengineer

Last edited by mvengineer; 02-12-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

Thank you all

Mvengineer, I certainly am pleased you shared your experiences with the forum. I am clear now the differences.

Costly for the Trike seems high in Canada? Beginning cost for black tri glide is 37k, plus extended warranty, taxes, plus upgrades to exhaust plus chrome back rack, I have a dollar amount of just under $50,000 Canadian for a 2011.

Seems very high priced. I know I can get the dealer down a little, but perhaps only a few thousand. hmmm.. Gotta look around at what options of buying elsewhere can offer.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been on both the Can Am & the TriGlide & for my money the TriGlide is far more comfortable and has more storage.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

As others have stated: “there is NO comparison between the Spider and the TG”! My main objection is that they are too low and difficult to see & be seen on the highway, which is a matter of safety. The TG sits much higher and offers great visibility.

Other objections are the lack of storage and lack of a nation wide dealer network for service.

Jim

Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Friend of mine bought the RT model CanAm Spyder last June and we traveled to Cody, WY for a week in July. There is no comparison...definite lack of storage space in the Spyder...color selection in the touring model is black, I think...other colors in the less expensive models.You basically get what you pay for in my opinion. The Spyder is lighter, so thru the mountains may have the advantage. They look/feel/ride differently than other trikes. You couldn't even begin to compare it to the HD Tri-Glide. It would be like comparing a small foreign sports car to a Corvette.
Barbra, I agreed with you up until the last sentence in which you referenced foreign sports cars and Corvettes. I don’t understand what you are implying?

Jim

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spyder's

I sometimes wonder when these Spyder discussions come up if it is not just a feeble attemt at geeting some freebee advertising for a lacklluster product. I have not googled it but am wondering if they even have their own Forum. An experimental fluke in the market right now with no real place in the Tri Glide forum.

The Trike forum where we just moved from and is all trike inclusive would be a better fit to promote the Spyder. Although on a Harley forum I don't think it is totally appropriate there.

In short until that contraption garners enough interest to get it's own forum I'm not into giving them any free advertising. If it was U.S. manufactured and in the same class I would not be so leary of spyder talk on a Harley forum.

Put the wheels where they are supposed to be, stick an S&S engine on it and bring it back when you got something in the same class.

Quick Reply: HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder