Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Throwout bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwout bearing

My step-son and hubby are putting in a new reverse gear on my TG. They found the throwout bearing gone bad. Lots of metal slivers. I never knew anything was wrong, except I had to keep adjusting the clutch cable. My SS said that it was unusual for one to go out this soon. Is there something I am doing wrong?
I used to slip the clutch when I was new riding it, but don't think I do it that much now.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to have extra slop in my clutch cable but clutch is releasing at a proper distance with clutch lever (cable is +4 " for high-rise chubbies). I hope mine isn't going bad. That means I'd have to remove my VPC which I don't want to do again just for warranty service.

Also, I try to get it in neutral if I'm stopped in traffic. 8800 miles on TG.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

I have a little over 10,000 miles on mine. My SS seems to think the VPC may have something to do with it going bad. So now that the weather is Finally getting better, my bike is in pieces in the garage! Also, have problems installing the new reverse gear, so we will be calling AIM this morning.

Last edited by Ironhorsepilot; 04-04-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

I'd like to hear about the repair when it's finished since I just put a VPC on myself.
I am curious about something though, could you mean it is the starter drive gear instead of the reverse gear? I have heard about some starter solenoids going bad from water getting in them & engaging all the time. Were the metal slivers in the primary?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would doubt very much if the VPC had anything to do with your problem.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I would doubt very much if the VPC had anything to do with your problem.
That's what hubby says. It was Step son that said it may be the cause. He has rebuilt several HD's but mostly older ones. They have the other side off now to put in new throwout bearing, so maybe will be able to tell more when they get done.....if ever!
This couple hour job is now going on two days (off and on) and that is just putting in the reverse gear. Also, after all the transmission work is done, we have to take out electric reverse and adjust my handle bars to see if I need new ones.

grandpawmoses, we are putting in an AIM gear driven reverse and getting rid of the electric. Metal slivers were from the TObearing getting chewed up. On the right side of bike, not sure if that is primary or not. Slivers were all over the place. A mess. I will try to explain everything when they are done, but I am pretty much staying away, because I am a worry wart. . Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited by Ironhorsepilot; 04-04-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

IHP, what do you use for transmission oil and how often did you change it?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I have close to 25,000 miles on the VPC in my 06 Ultra and no problems, the VPC didn't cause it. Improper clutch adjustment can cause it, the clutch can be adjusted to where it lets the throwout bearing spin continuously which it is not designed to do. Or it could have just failed for other reasons.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Originally Posted by Boom
IHP, what do you use for transmission oil and how often did you change it?
Whatever HD puts in at service. So not sure.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Ok so my step son adjusted my clutch after putting in new TObearing. Now it is so hard I can't pull it in all the way. Even with VPC, I have problems with clutch pull. My hands are just too small. I have no idea what to do now, because I am sure I probably caused the bearing to go out because of engagement and release of clutch. Just sucks! I can't find any reduced reach leavers to fit. I wear extra small gloves and even they are too big in the finger tips. I have arthritis in my left hand. I want to cry!!!

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing