Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Big Sky fans........

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Sky fans........

I just purchased the Big Sky fan kits to adapt to my stock Harley oil cooler. I have since removed my Ultracool (long story). These fans are required at least 1" of clearance behind the cooler which I probably don't have (haven't looked under the trike yet). Anyone else install these fans? Did you have to fabricate a new cooler bracket or just an adapter? Thanks.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
I just purchased the Big Sky fan kits to adapt to my stock Harley oil cooler. I have since removed my Ultracool (long story). These fans are required at least 1" of clearance behind the cooler which I probably don't have (haven't looked under the trike yet). Anyone else install these fans? Did you have to fabricate a new cooler bracket or just an adapter? Thanks.
What's the face dimensions of the cooler? Also, I would recommend that you tilt the cooler back at the top so that the fans would expel the air-flow under the trike. This will give you more room to work with. I had recently removed my Ultra Cool to mount a Jagg 10 row and a new fan set-up they just released. There's quite a few reasons I went with the Jagg over the other. It makes more sense to me to pull the air through the cooler than to push it through. With the pushing through set-up. A flat shroud like that of an automobile. Is needed to direct the air through the opening of the cooler / fan. Problem I believe about this is that additional air flow from when your moving is blocked. Here's a picture of the cool / fan mount of the Ultra Cool.

With my lowers on. There is a minimal area that air flows through when in motion. Without lowers air can get at the engine. But this mount they use blocks too much air-flow for my taste.

zoood

Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zoood
What's the face dimensions of the cooler? Also, I would recommend that you tilt the cooler back at the top so that the fans would expel the air-flow under the trike. This will give you more room to work with. I had recently removed my Ultra Cool to mount a Jagg 10 row and a new fan set-up they just released. There's quite a few reasons I went with the Jagg over the other. It makes more sense to me to pull the air through the cooler than to push it through. With the pushing through set-up. A flat shroud like that of an automobile. Is needed to direct the air through the opening of the cooler / fan. Problem I believe about this is that additional air flow from when your moving is blocked.
With my lowers on. There is a minimal area that air flows through when in motion. Without lowers air can get at the engine. But this mount they use blocks too much air-flow for my taste.

zoood
The facial dimensions are 3" x 9". As is, the fans would be pulling the hot air over the regulator. Looks like I have room to move the cooler forward an inch and drop two, with a top tilt backwards. I can see I some some fabricating to do. I've thrown enough money at that ultracool so I don't want another expense like going with the Jagg. Some others have mounted the Jagg 10-row with the Big Sky fans but I don't know if they direct the hot air downward. Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:41 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

I bought a Big Sky fan to mount behind my Jagg 10 row but when it came in I was so unimpressed with it's looks that I didn't put it on. I was going to have to modify the Jagg mount for clearance & I thought it would block some air flow too. It's still hanging on the wall in my utility room.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I bought a Big Sky fan to mount behind my Jagg 10 row but when it came in I was so unimpressed with it's looks that I didn't put it on. I was going to have to modify the Jagg mount for clearance & I thought it would block some air flow too. It's still hanging on the wall in my utility room.
The only thing big about them is the name! I had purchased them as well. But Ive another application Im going to try and use them for. If the set-up works. I'll then disclose what I did.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:44 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

I have since removed my Ultracool (long story).
I had recently removed my Ultra Cool to mount a Jagg 10 row and a new fan set-up they just released.
I am really curious as to why you removed the Ultracool. I tried one on my 09 RG and didn't see any difference between oil temps with and without it. Just wondering if your experience was similar.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I am really curious as to why you removed the Ultracool. I tried one on my 09 RG and didn't see any difference between oil temps with and without it. Just wondering if your experience was similar.
I had it on my TG for over 3000 miles but didn't like having to remove it to change the oil filter--hoses were in the way of the filter. The newer Ultracool filter adapter came on the market later but I didn't want to spend the extra money. I'm back to the stock cooler that I think I can adapt to fan(s) successfully. The Ultracool was good for stop-and-go traffic in heat.

Last edited by Boom; 05-28-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM
blueovalguy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Sky fan on stock Harley oil cooler

I mounted the big sky fans on a factory oil cooler on my 2005 road king. The oil cooler is not available from Harley Davidson anymore, it came with a chrome oil filter mount. On the plate that mounted the oil cooler to the frame under the voltage regulator all I had to do was drill two holes one inch back from the original holes to get the clearance for the fans. The plate had three mounting holes with the center hole off set from the two outer holes,so I was unable to use it because it was to close to the edge of the mounting plate. Made sure to use nylon lock nuts on the mounting studs. Have not had any problems with it in the three years it been on. I also use the Big Sky cylinder head cooler for added cooling insurance.