Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jack Placement to Lift TG Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM
littlejohn46
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pit bull motorcycle lift has a adapter for there for tri glides

Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced

I bought the pitt bull with the TG adapter and it works great.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by M.A.T.
I drove it up and let me tell ya, I will never jack it up again for this kind of work (although I hope I never need to again).

I think a regular floor jack in the front would work to make it level and not only would it be more stable than before it would be a lot higher than I had it then. Now, of course, you can get a Pit Bull jack or a table lift. And I would buy a table lift in a heart beat if I had the cash but for basic oil changes and anything else requiring an eyeball view of the engine area, check out your auto parts place for car ramps. If need to remove a rear wheel, you will need to jack it up. I wonder if you could drive it up three? Then no need to jack up the front at all.

Good Luck,
Rob
When I put mine up on ramps, I use the MC jack under the front of the frame to pick up the front enough to place a ramp under the front wheel. If I need to do anything on the engine, or forward of the trunk.
The trike doesn't want to pick itself up all three ramps at one time ! But it will roll down all three fine backwards.
A caution though, lock the rear brakes or in gear or both when you try jacking up the front while it is tilted forward !
I use the steel ramps, as I just can't trust plastic to protect my life. & bike !
Also I use a roller seat to scoot around the floor while on the ramps. Just right height.
I have a lift, but it is only rated for 1000#. Also it isn't a trike lift. I plan on building one for the trike though. Once you get used to a lift table, there isn't much replacement for it !
Just a tidbit of odd info.... If you place a dime tight against each wheel, front and back on all wheels, on a diesel 6000hp locomotive,,,, It can't move, or pick itself up over the dimes !

Last edited by sloufoot; 09-05-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:03 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Up Dates Lifting

Just checkin in to see if anyone has invented a way to lift the trike to install lift kit. I have the red sears lift and will try to do it with that and a bit of jacking engineering along with it. I would love to buy the J $ S trike jack but don't know how much I would really use it ?

Some use the cross braces under
some say don't
some say use differential to jack
some say no
the service manual is a bit vague
some say it shows how
some say jack one side at time and jack stand
Ramps don't allow tire removal
So that's where we are at?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 AM
lboos
Advanced

I don't like driving mine on to ramps, to easy to make a mistake, I took two 5" 2x4 blocks and drilled several holes through them in the middle for a slot that the tie down rings on the rear will go thru. I then jack up the rear with two small [ton and 1/2'] floor jacks [$69] on the wooden blocks and put the ramps under the rear wheels and let the trike down, then I raise the frt. wheel the normal the way and install a ramp under it and let it down, I then put a plastic stay on the frt. brake handle. sounds like a lot, but takes about five minute and is a lot safer then trying to drive it or back it up the ramps.

I do reverse the 'frt. ramp' where it does not get in the way of the oil pan.

it's a one man, five minute job. JMO

Old 02-23-2014, 12:08 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Any

Tie down rings?
On the trike
Under it?
I don't have one to look at until march 1st
Next Saturday .
Still winter but at least I can look at it!
Hap

Old 02-23-2014, 03:53 PM
lboos
Advanced

Originally Posted by hapbob
Tie down rings?
On the trike
Under it?
I don't have one to look at until march 1st
Next Saturday .
Still winter but at least I can look at it!
Hap
Hap,
When you look under the rear of the trike you will see two tie down rings, one on ea. side near the wheels, cant miss them, that is a strong point,
I drilled out a slot where it would not bend the tie down rings plus give the two 5" blocks a level place to jack, plus the tie down rings will hold the blocks in place, ....March the 1st is coming fast , good luck.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fastening front wheel to floor (for lifting rear)

I've done this on two garage floors and it is relatively simple. This is if you are OK with drilling two deep half-inch holes in your garage floor.
With a half inch concrete drill bit, drill two holes in the floor, 2 inches deep (length of shield), and about 30 inches apart. Sink two half inch lag shields into the holes until they are flush with the floor. I like to smear a little left-over grout around each shield to keep them secure. Screw quarter inch (or whatever fits the shields) screw eyes into the shields until flush and tight. Position front wheel of trike between each screw eye. Feed a ratcheting tie-down smart strap with hooks on each end (cheap at Lowes or Harbor Freight) through the front wheel spoke. Work the ratchet until strap is tight and wheel won't budge. The lateral force on the screw eyes will not pull them out of the floor. I also like to Velcro the front brake so the wheel won't roll. When you are finished working on the trike, you can remove the screw eyes and replace with lag bolts if you don't want to trip over the screw eyes.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Just a tidbit of odd info.... If you place a dime tight against each wheel, front and back on all wheels, on a diesel 6000hp locomotive,,,, It can't move, or pick itself up over the dimes !
Slou your a great wealth of info, but gotta call ya on this. I was a locomotove engineer for BNSF for 16 years. I find that very hard to believe. I can pull a fully loaded coal train (we're talking in excess of 10k tons of train here) up a 5% grade at a standstill..I am sure I could get over some dimes

Rax

Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I place the jack stands on the swing arm vs an axle tube, don't know if it would hurt placing them under the axle tube or not.

Dude! That's a lot of investment to change your own oil!

Quick Reply: Jack Placement to Lift TG Rear