Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jack Placement to Lift TG Rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Raxus
Slou your a great wealth of info, but gotta call ya on this. I was a locomotove engineer for BNSF for 16 years. I find that very hard to believe. I can pull a fully loaded coal train (we're talking in excess of 10k tons of train here) up a 5% grade at a standstill..I am sure I could get over some dimes

Rax
Not to hijack the thread, but.....give it a try....
We proved it at Green River Wyo but it was with a UP 6700 unit before they retired them. 8 traction axles. Once the wheels start spinning it can destroy the coins & move.
Seems odd, but the locomotive has to pick itself up over the dimes. If the unit could move even a 1/4" it could do just that. but it will actually spin the wheels before it lifts itself up. Once the wheels spin & vibrate the coin away from the wheel contact then it can roll just a bit & overcome its obstacle.
If you were to glue the coins down the wheel could spin then burn the edge of the coin off creating a small ramp, enough to crawl over.
Same thing happens (engine wheel burn on the rail) if you give too much power on take-off pulling its load. It has to start the whole train moving before you could safely apply more power. The slack in the train gives you the ability to overcome this to a great degree. In other words you can easily move one car then two then........ so on. I've watched would be "Hog Heads" yank a drawbar into trying to be the greatest thing to ever hit the cab!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:45 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Dude! That's a lot of investment to change your own oil!
Yeah, but do you see what else he did just to change that oil ???????

Old 05-01-2014, 02:57 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Dude! That's a lot of investment to change your own oil!
I do a whole lot more than just oil changes.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Really wish I had someone like you close to me M3. Would love to work on my scoot, but need guidance so I don't mess sh*t up.

Rax

Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 AM
eighty80
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live near him, but he's always busy ridin or workin.

And I don't blame him!

Now his dad is another story. He is retired now and when you ask him, he says "I don't know, ask Mike".

Both great people I might add.

Later eighty80.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:37 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eighty80

And I don't blame him!

Now his dad is another story. He is retired now and when you ask him, he says "I don't know, ask Mike".

Later eighty80.
I am very mechanically inclined but I know my limitations. M3 is an extremely talented person if I say so myself.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:32 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raxus
Really wish I had someone like you close to me M3. Would love to work on my scoot, but need guidance so I don't mess sh*t up.

Rax
If your mechanically inclined, have the service manual, some torque wrenches and misc tools you'er good to go. You could take on the simple things like oil changes and misc small repairs and save some dough.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by eighty80

And I don't blame him!

Later eighty80.
I'm only a phone call or PM away, would be more than willing to lend a hand.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:23 PM
butch50
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I glad someone brought up this subject and I have a questions for all of you.

I want to install a lift kit on my 2012 Tri and was looking at Tglide stuff and he recommends to lift the trike as follows:

"Loosen all 8 lug nuts. Raise rear of T Glide. I jack it up on each side under tie down loop located under the stock shock mount. Place jack stands under rear of trunk area, flat steel cross members between mufflers."

Do you feel it is ok after jacking up each side to place jack stands under the trunk area? I would not be jacking up in it just using it to support while I did the work seeing how the axle has to hang down to do the installation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 05-05-2014, 03:57 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by butch50
I glad someone brought up this subject and I have a questions for all of you.

I want to install a lift kit on my 2012 Tri and was looking at Tglide stuff and he recommends to lift the trike as follows:

"Loosen all 8 lug nuts. Raise rear of T Glide. I jack it up on each side under tie down loop located under the stock shock mount. Place jack stands under rear of trunk area, flat steel cross members between mufflers."

Do you feel it is ok after jacking up each side to place jack stands under the trunk area? I would not be jacking up in it just using it to support while I did the work seeing how the axle has to hang down to do the installation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
It shouldn't hurt anything, people are bolting trailer hitches to the same bars.

Quick Reply: Jack Placement to Lift TG Rear