Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 Trike Pet Peeves

Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM
refika98
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Trike Pet Peeves

So I traded my 2012 trike for a 2014. I LOVE the 2014 except for a few pet peeves...

1. I am really annoyed that the 14's don't come with the CB. For the price of the trike, why make us pay more? Plus I miss the second antenna. I feel like the bike is off balance with one antenna.
2. Putting the bike in reverse. Why did they have to change it to holding in the button to put the bike in reverse, THEN you have to hold the button again to back up the bike? The old way you just put the bike in neutral and hit a button once.
3. None of the diamond ice fits the new gauges or speakers. As a girl who loves her bling, that really annoys me that HD couldn't make the new diamond ice when they released the 14's.
4. Redesigned tourpack. I liked the boxy look of the old tour pack. Why change it?
5. Non-locking gas cap. I know some people like it, I personally don't. I don't want to worry about my gas getting siphoned out while I have my bike parked somewhere for a few hours.

Before anyone says to buy the lock button, been there done that. My advice, DO NOT buy the push button door lock. It's not like the old lock where you turn the key and open the door. You have to press the little button in the center of the lock and I mean REALLY push it in hard. Unless you have twigs for fingertips, it's not happening. After getting it installed, spending 5 minutes trying to open the lock again I uninstalled it and went back to the push button.

All in all, I really DO love the new trike. The benefits do outweigh my little pet peeves. The bike definitely feels cooler to me, even someone standing next to the bike when I had it idling in my driveway for 15 minutes mentioned it doesn't feel like it's throwing off as much heat as my old bike. I love the stereo/gps system, the redesigned fairing and the relocated parking brake, and everything else.

I think the handling is much easier and more responsive, especially around turns. Overall, I'm very happy with the upgrade. So happy, that I already have about 300 miles on the trike and I only had it a week.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Isn't anyone happy with their new toy?? First it was the heat, then the cats, gearing too high, no GPS. So they gear it down, add water cooling and redesign the radio and give you the GPS INSTEAD of the CB and here comes the unhappy customers.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by refika98
5. Non-locking gas cap. I know some people like it, I personally don't. I don't want to worry about my gas getting siphoned out while I have my bike parked somewhere for a few hours.
Are you riding in Compton CA or somewhere similar, or is there a gas-siphoning epidemic going on that we should be aware of?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I traded my 2012 trike for a 2014. I LOVE the 2014 except for a few pet peeves...

1. I am really annoyed that the 14's don't come with the CB. For the price of the trike, why make us pay more? Plus I miss the second antenna. I feel like the bike is off balance with one antenna.
2. Putting the bike in reverse. Why did they have to change it to holding in the button to put the bike in reverse, THEN you have to hold the button again to back up the bike? The old way you just put the bike in neutral and hit a button once.
3. None of the diamond ice fits the new gauges or speakers. As a girl who loves her bling, that really annoys me that HD couldn't make the new diamond ice when they released the 14's.
4. Redesigned tourpack. I liked the boxy look of the old tour pack. Why change it?

Before anyone says to buy the lock button, been there done that. My advice, DO NOT buy the push button door lock. It's not like the old lock where you turn the key and open the door. You have to press the little button in the center of the lock and I mean REALLY push it in hard. Unless you have twigs for fingertips, it's not happening. After getting it installed, spending 5 minutes trying to open the lock again I uninstalled it and went back to the push button.

All in all, I really DO love the new trike. The benefits do outweigh my little pet peeves. The bike definitely feels cooler to me, even someone standing next to the bike when I had it idling in my driveway for 15 minutes mentioned it doesn't feel like it's throwing off as much heat as my old bike. I love the stereo/gps system, the redesigned fairing and the relocated parking brake, and everything else.

I think the handling is much easier and more responsive, especially around turns. Overall, I'm very happy with the upgrade. So happy, that I already have about 300 miles on the trike and I only had it a week.
Give it a little more time, it grows on you.

300 miles? In one week? WTH do you need a CB for anyway?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a CB on 3 previous bikes. Used it a total of 10 mins, just for sh*ts and giggles. Haven't used one since and don't miss it one bit. Much rather have the GPS and totally dig the radio

Rax

Old 05-04-2014, 03:25 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey Screwball,no gripes here.I like my 14.I keep looking,but can't find anything!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
Give it a little more time, it grows on you.

300 miles? In one week? WTH do you need a CB for anyway?
There are folks who use the CB, I've used the CB a great deal over the years. When traffic all of a sudden stops while on the freeway, I can turn on the CB and find out whats up. My dad and I travel together and use the CB to chat. In 2008 there were 4 of us going to SD, we all had CB's and all were able to keep in contact with one and other. IMO factory GPS fails in comparison to a good aftermarket unit, Harley dropped the ball by not including the CB on one of its most expensive units aside from the CVO Ultra.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Well put.I travel with my son on trips & it does come in handy.But overall,still happy!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:58 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am curious! Why did you buy it?

Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 AM
eighty80
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
I am curious! Why did you buy it?
Ditto....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Trike Pet Peeves