Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide or trike a bike?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BornTexan
I've been riding for 64+ years and not about to stop now. 2 years ago I developed Parkinson's and started experiencing balance issues. So much for 2 wheels. Stated researching converting my '12 Ultra. Warranty issues being set aside by the time you change out the triple tree, add reverse and increase your lazy motor to something that will pull the additional weight you're looking at $2800-$3000, if not more, doing the work yourself. Now add a conversion trike unit (MotorTrike $16,500 not installed) you've got nearly $20,000-$25,000, if not more and you still have an older bike.

Big thing was when I did an analysis using KBB and NADA figures on desperation computing from 2009 to date. Figured you loose between 24%-28% on a conversion vs 4%-8% on a Harley Tri-Glide plus, like somebody said, you have a warranty. Now MotorTrike does have a limited 3yr-60,000 mile warranty but don't know the definition of "limited".

8~\o
Motor Trike does not sell kits. They must be installed by a dealer. The total cost for my Road King conversion was $15,000. Independent suspension, mechanical reverse, and raked trees for "easy steer", chrome wheel upgrade, and color match paint. Now......I already had made changes to my RK. Hammack seat, bars, exhaust, SERT, Heavy Breather intake, and lots of chrome. Had to decide whether to START OVER with a $34,000 TriGlide or trike the bike that had everything "just right". Resale value ? Who friggen cares ? I'm on my last bike now, and with the medical issues it was "trike it or park it".

Last edited by Steady Eddy; 08-25-2015 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WesternVet (07-04-2016)
Old 08-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by BornTexan
I've been riding for 64+ years and not about to stop now. 2 years ago I developed Parkinson's and started experiencing balance issues. So much for 2 wheels. Stated researching converting my '12 Ultra. Warranty issues being set aside by the time you change out the triple tree, add reverse and increase your lazy motor to something that will pull the additional weight you're looking at $2800-$3000, if not more, doing the work yourself. Now add a conversion trike unit (MotorTrike $16,500 not installed) you've got nearly $29,000-$34,000, if not more and you still have an older bike.

Big thing was when I did an analysis using KBB and NADA figures on depreciation computing from 2009 to date. Figured you loose between 24%-28% on a conversion vs 4%-8% on a Harley Tri-Glide plus, like somebody said, you have a warranty. Now MotorTrike does have a limited 3yr-60,000 mile warranty but don't know the definition of "limited".

8~\o
Our Hannigan Transformer conversion cost $16,180,turn key. That included Champion's mech reverse,HHI 5deg tike trees,68T rear pulley,and matching custom paint. Hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings but ride quality is substantially better than a TriGlide or Freewheeler.(yes,I rode them,first) Lack of a warranty doesn't seem to keep Goldwings and other makes from being triked in large quantities or from racking up substantial highway mileage. I don't think it's a stretch to say the Champion reverse,HHI trees,Progressive Suspension rear shocks,or Hannigan's rear brakes are better than what comes on the factory H-D trikes. Rear wheels on the conversions,for those that want custom units,have a much greater availability i.e. lower cost. Hannigan has been building modern trikes longer than H-D and I would venture to say their quality is every bit as good and probably better.
But hey,it's your money so spend it on what makes you happy. TriGlides are nice trikes,IMO,and can stand on their own merits.
We plan to keep our trike for a long time so depreciation is the last of our worries. It's all paid for,too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Clint44:
crnt918 (07-10-2016), WesternVet (07-04-2016)
Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Cool reply! nice transformer love the color ride safely fearless

Old 07-04-2016, 09:17 PM
WesternVet
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RideCSC
If you guys insist on being told "____ isn't covered under warranty", you can always buy a trike kit and purchase an aftermarket warranty like Pinnacle - 3 years for $300 or so. Not to mention with a good kit, you can pull a trailer without the warranty ***** coming for you.

Regardless, my dealer says that it's up to dealer discretion to honor a warranty and the high quality kits like CSC are typically honored under warranty.

IMO, bolting a solid axle to a transmission and praying that it holds up like the HD Triglide is similar to playing Russian Roulette... not to mention that it rides like a pickup truck compared to some of the aftermarket IRS kits. I visited a dealer in TN that had 4 busted Tri-glide transmission cases in his shop at the same time earlier this year.

As far as looks... The tri-glide looks like it got rear-ended. The short wheel base isn't ideal for handling, but it just looks plain goofy.

To each his own, but this is my idea of fantastic:

I actually have a Victory Cross Country with CSC full conversion.
So much ch more of a better ride, handling etc etc

Reading up.on triglides thinking maybe Harley has the Road Glide trike,but I don't think they will