Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide Rear Tires

Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM
bulkhed@
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my own 2012 Calif. Trike with stock tires. But just returned from Wash. State and borrowed a cousins 2010 Trike with car tires from Coker for a big family ride. Significant difference in handling on the road and in back country cruising. My stock tires feel like they're jiggly under my butt at speed (60+) but not those car tires. Two other close friends with trikes up there in the northwest also changed out their back tires. The Harley dealers in the Northwest are aware of this feel issue. If you get a chance to ride one with the change, you might like the feel. At some point, I'll probably change mine out.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

No mention of tire pressure in this thread. I think most are running around 26 psi in the rear tires, and that is going to help in the traction, ride comfort and possibly hydroplaning arenas.

btw, if your dealers are anything like mine, they don't have the foggiest idea what the psi is supposed to be...guess they can't/don't read since it is right in the manual.

Mine came from 1 dealer new with 36 in the rear and 26 in the front.

Another dealer that I have had it into for warranty work put 42 in the front and 36 in the rear...both times!

Book says 36 front, 26 rear. That is what I have been running and it has worked out well for me.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am using 36 front and 24 rear and am very happy with the ride. Handles very well and no hydroplaning and I don't slow down when it is raining. I'm sure there are better tires out there but there certainly is nothing wrong with the stock tires.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DK Custom
No mention of tire pressure in this thread. I think most are running around 26 psi in the rear tires, and that is going to help in the traction, ride comfort and possibly hydroplaning arenas.

btw, if your dealers are anything like mine, they don't have the foggiest idea what the psi is supposed to be...guess they can't/don't read since it is right in the manual.

Mine came from 1 dealer new with 36 in the rear and 26 in the front.

Another dealer that I have had it into for warranty work put 42 in the front and 36 in the rear...both times!

Book says 36 front, 26 rear. That is what I have been running and it has worked out well for me.
+1 on that! I picked mine up from the dealer new with 43 in each rear tire. Rode like a go-kart! 1000 mile service, they put 36 in each. I believe after selling these trikes for 3 years now they finally got it right.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
+1 on that! I picked mine up from the dealer new with 43 in each rear tire. Rode like a go-kart! 1000 mile service, they put 36 in each. I believe after selling these trikes for 3 years now they finally got it right.
If they put 36 in each of the rear tires they still don't have it right.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I've got 10K on my tires & they have no issues on any surface, including the hardest panic stop I have ever had to do today....

Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
If they put 36 in each of the rear tires they still don't have it right.
Poor wording on my part. After selling these trikes for over 3 years, you'd think they'd finally get it right. I had to correct the 36 lb. pressure also.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Harleysmarley
Stage III
Default Hydroplane

I had to purchase a 2012 Triglide after surgery and it did take a long time for delivery. After one summer and 11K Kms later, I discovered a problem hydro planing. I was riding with others on two wheels and noticed that they slowed as I did during the storm but did not hyrdo plane at the low speeds like I did. What tires would you recommend I buy to replace the dunlops or is this a problem with the design of the Triglide. I have been in the military as a driver for years and certainly understand the defensive driving techniques in light and heavy rain. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I am new to this forum, and expect my new 2012 Red Sunglo/Merlot Tri Glide in my garage in the new few days. Apparently the truck driver got lost somewhere in the mid-West. Anyhow, I have a question. I know the trike comes with Dunlop Signature 205/65R15s in the rear. But, I am not sure if they are the "Sports" or the standard Signatures. The Sports are rated decently on "the tire website", where as the standards are not.

Can someone tell me what version of Signatures are in the rear?

What alternate rear rubber do you have good experience with? I don't care too much about noise, but want good tracking and exceptional breaking dry and wet and low hydroplaning as I am in the Pacific North.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:45 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleysmarley
I had to purchase a 2012 Triglide after surgery and it did take a long time for delivery. After one summer and 11K Kms later, I discovered a problem hydro planing. I was riding with others on two wheels and noticed that they slowed as I did during the storm but did not hyrdo plane at the low speeds like I did. What tires would you recommend I buy to replace the dunlops or is this a problem with the design of the Triglide. I have been in the military as a driver for years and certainly understand the defensive driving techniques in light and heavy rain. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
When I owned my 2010 Triglide I put quite a few miles on it in the rain, I'll bet I put at least 5,000+ miles on in the rain. I road in everything from a blinding down pour to a snow, sleet, and hail. I road speeds from 25 mph to 75 mph and at times riding 2 up while pulling a trailer. I only hydroplaned one time and that was riding my dads 09 Triglide in a down pour to the dealer, the road surface was asphalt and pretty smooth from lots of traffic wear. This summer we were caught in a quick rain that put a lot of water on the road, I was riding 2 up pulling my Aluma MCT and hammering some pretty serious corners at speeds of 60 - 65 mph, never had a single slip. I ran my rear tire pressure at 24 psi.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser

I don't think you could lockup what Harley calls rear "brakes" even if you had bicycle tires on the rims. Tire type won't change ride control all that much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tri Glide Rear Tires