Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Lift Kit

Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking about the lift kit. Are both kits from different companies the same amount lift height? as i'm looking to go the least amount of height. I also see a kit for around $130.00 and another for $180.00. If I remember when the kit first was offered it went for around as little over a $100.00 bucks. Another thought I had was Vance and Hines makes a slip on muffler that tucks in under the trike . That slip on muffler looks like it has more ground clearance the other slip ons. Any one have them on there Trikes? If so what do you think of them? Thanks Carl

Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
I'm thinking about the lift kit. Are both kits from different companies the same amount lift height? as i'm looking to go the least amount of height. I also see a kit for around $130.00 and another for $180.00. If I remember when the kit first was offered it went for around as little over a $100.00 bucks. Another thought I had was Vance and Hines makes a slip on muffler that tucks in under the trike . That slip on muffler looks like it has more ground clearance the other slip ons. Any one have them on there Trikes? If so what do you think of them? Thanks Carl
As stated before there are a couple lift heights available. The most popular one is 1.25". It not only helps with the scraping of the mufflers but enables you to run less pressure in your air shocks which in turn makes a more softer ride for your passenger if you have one. With out a doubt I would check into the ones Dennis makes.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
As stated before there are a couple lift heights available. The most popular one is 1.25". It not only helps with the scraping of the mufflers but enables you to run less pressure in your air shocks which in turn makes a more softer ride for your passenger if you have one. With out a doubt I would check into the ones Dennis makes.
Ditto on what Mike says. Look at the lift kit made by Dennis only, it's the best available.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The lifts from Dennis are first rate, imo you willl not find better.
The first batch were just over $100 delivered but remember were were kinda the public beta testers. I dont know what the cost is now but they still have to be worth every cent.
Lets not forget to give credit to DogDaze (Jerry) for coming up with the design and prints and then passing them along to Dennis who had access to the equipment to produce a quality part, Kudos to Both.
If you do a searh for "Triglide Rearend Lift" you can read the original post by DogDaze dated 3-24-11 where there is a discussion on the different heights.
DogDaze had already been using the lifts for about a year at that time.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,226 Likes on 11,134 Posts

I checked out more info on the "lift kits" in the forum. One of the threads mentioned putting a bit more bite in the front tire. That is a good point, as I have had a few occassions where it seemed just a bit too light in the front. For example taking a tight turn with some mild bumps. My overall hesitance of the lift kit was concern of impacts on handling due to the slight increase in the center of gravity, and thinking that the Harley Engineers know best. But, I can see the advantage of a bit more front tire bite.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I checked out more info on the "lift kits" in the forum. One of the threads mentioned putting a bit more bite in the front tire. That is a good point, as I have had a few occassions where it seemed just a bit too light in the front. For example taking a tight turn with some mild bumps. My overall hesitance of the lift kit was concern of impacts on handling due to the slight increase in the center of gravity, and thinking that the Harley Engineers know best. But, I can see the advantage of a bit more front tire bite.
+1 what you're saying here. It wouldn't have cost 10 cents more for Harley to do this in the first place if they thought well of it. That probably bothers me more than anything.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:18 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

BLASPHEMY!!!

You realize that in 15 minutes there will be 20 posts attributing the lift brackets to better handling, smoother take offs, better fuel mileage, quicker steering, and a cooler running engine.

Dennis, I'm kidding. You have to admit though that at least once a week a new thread starts about the miracle of the lift brackets. You have one hell of a loyal following here and the other trike board.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Harley engineers know best??? They blatently denied that the gearing was wrong on the '09 &'10 TGs and then changed it on the '11 up bikes to what many of us here had already done. I had many unproductive conversations with them about that, their response was "working as designed". Well it was working as the engineers designed it but IMO it should be obvious that they didnt and dont always know best.
Thats just my experience with them and one example.
As far as the lifts go I feel that they are wrong on that also but we all get to make our own choices.

Last edited by icebite1; 05-21-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Where was the center of gravity in the first place?

Last edited by TheBobs; 05-21-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:37 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
Harley engineers know best??? They blatently denied that the gearing was wrong on the '09 &'10 TGs and then changed it on the '11 up bikes to what many of us here had already done. I had many unproductive conversations with them about that, their response was "working as designed". Well it was working as the engineers designed it but IMO it should be obvious that they didnt and dont always know best.
I had a few of those conversations around that time also, the last conversation I hammerd them pretty hard. I really believe the bean counters are running (or should I say ruining) the company. The last round of big changes for the 2011 MY left me shaking my head. They are making things tougher to rebuild, forcing the owner to replace instead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Lift Kit