Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Reverse Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:30 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Reverse Motor

Had an interesting experience this weekend. We took a trip to the New River Gorge area of WVA. If you have ever been there, you know that the roads are VERY rough. Second day of riding on these roads and I heard a loud clang. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw my reverse motor laying in the road in two pieces. Best I can figure, the bouncing caused the mounting bolts to back out and the motor to fall off. Trike still runs fine, just have no reverse now. Luckily, I'm still under warranty. I'm going to try to convince them to let me pay the difference and switch to a mechanical reverse instead of the stock electric.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's messed up. Lucky you did not lock up or damage belt or sprocket. I have to check mine out. Been reading to many threads,posts on the rev motor falling out. I to will go with a Champion,or Baker rev gear.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree on going with mechanical reverse. I cant even load it in the trailer in reverse without the overload kicking out. It was on option on wifes '10, wish I had just put the Champion reverse on like I have on my RK/Hack and FatBob trike, never a problem with them.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Just a quick follow up. The reverse motor is a restricted part, I have to bring the trike in for them to take pictures to send to HD to get approval for ordering a new one. Cost for a new reverse motor......wait for it......$1385 just for the part. Luckily I'm under warranty.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. Mine fell off in the road. Pricey little starter motors!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have already changed mine over to the Champion unit. So if anyone is looking to buy a used reverse motor drive unit, I have one just sitting around collecting dust.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:44 PM
butch50
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already figured that if I have trouble with my reverse I'm going to a mechanical and be done with it. I hardly ever use my reverse as I just push it back most of the time with my legs. In most situations not to hard to do, i even push it back with my wife on the back. Of course it makes a difference when you are a big guy and your legs are built up just carrying my weight around all the time

Does anybody have any idea what the mechanical ones goes for and how hard it is to install? Is this something a backyard mech can do or should I find a shop to do it?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Butch50, both mine were around $1200, might be as high as $1400, not hard to install if you are a bit handy with tools. The exhaust removal is always a PIA, just hate doing that part.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by butch50
I have already figured that if I have trouble with my reverse I'm going to a mechanical and be done with it. I hardly ever use my reverse as I just push it back most of the time with my legs. In most situations not to hard to do, i even push it back with my wife on the back. Of course it makes a difference when you are a big guy and your legs are built up just carrying my weight around all the time

Does anybody have any idea what the mechanical ones goes for and how hard it is to install? Is this something a backyard mech can do or should I find a shop to do it?
Here's the link to the Champion website with installation instructions (look at top file on the third page for 6 speed reverse gear).

http://championsidecars.com/installa...structions.asp

Bubba

Last edited by Bubba49; 05-23-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

By the way, them instructions look awful complicated to me.... Don't think I'd tackle it myself.

Bubba

Quick Reply: Reverse Motor