Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Our new Outlaw Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Our new Outlaw Helmets

I bought 2 new Outlaw helmets, one for me and one for the wifey. They are extremely light and minimal, a lot cooler on these hot days. We started out Friday on a ride up to Linville Falls, NC to hit the BRP and go south. We got to Erwin, TN and to our suprise, a TN Highway Patrol roadblock. One of the officers motioned me to pull over. He came up and said he wanted to see our helmets. Although these helmets are noted (in the finish, not a sticker) on the back "DOT" and have a sewn-in tag "DOT FMVSS-218" he was not convinced. He said these helmets are not DOT certified and are unsafe. He said that he didn't know what that label on the inside means. He also said that you could get these DOT stickers most anywhere. I asked him to notice that the DOT was in the finish and not a sticker, that didn't seem to matter much. He did, however tell us to go on but to get DOT approved helmets or get tickets.
I think that he assumed these helmets were "novelty" helmets and would not accept the fact that he simply made a mistake. I looked up the codes, both federal and state. The Department of Transportation Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, paragraph 218 (DOT FMVSS-218) is the only federal or state requirement for helmet certification. You can get SNELL or European approved helmets that may or may not exceed DOT, but it is not the officer's to decide. TN courts have ruled that an officer cannot stop you for the explicit reason of checking your helmet, he/she must have another reason for the stop. They have also ruled that a law officer does not have the equipment or knowledge to judge the individual helmet as to compliance to DOT.
Maybe some additional training for these folks might be in order. We will continue using these Outaw Helmets, ours are AX-4000 fiberglass helmets.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures! or its a novelty helmet

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Default Pictures?

Originally Posted by oneballz
Pictures! or its a novelty helmet
Do you mean I have to take pictures of the helmet? I have the real thing.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noble Jim
Do you mean I have to take pictures of the helmet? I have the real thing.
Come on mann
We are guys, we are visual, I want to see how well it fits and looks
Help A Bro out will ya?

Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Default Pictures

Originally Posted by oneballz
Come on mann
We are guys, we are visual, I want to see how well it fits and looks
Help A Bro out will ya?
Sorry, I guess I ain't so brilliant.

Go here:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-Ul...et/262712.html

BTW, we really like ours. They are like wearing a ball cap,,,,,comfortable!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Default Outlaw Helmet Update

After much research and legal inquiry, I find that the Outlaw helmet is more compliant with the law than my Harley helmets. There is a DOT sticker on the back and there is a sewn-in label in the H-D hemet but it does not speak to DOT, DOT FMVSS-218, or any other standard.
The Outlaw helmet does have DOT in the finish and a label in the inside that does reference DOT FMVSS-218.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought two of the AX-30020 carbon fiber. Should be here Friday.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Noble Jim
They TN courts have ruled that an officer cannot stop you for the explicit reason of checking your helmet, he/she must have another reason for the stop. They have also ruled that a law officer does not have the equipment or knowledge to judge the individual helmet as to compliance to DOT.
Maybe some additional training for these folks might be in order. We will continue using these Outaw Helmets, ours are AX-4000 fiberglass helmets.
That is how we beat the helmet law in Florida.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Brutus Maximus
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy hell!!!! I have been on Leatherup everyday for over two months looking at these helmets and both the glossy and matte carbon fiber finishes as well as the fiberglass ultra-slim profile helmets in small through large have been out of stock.

Either you guys have exceptionally large helmet sizes or you know something I don't about ordering these helmets.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BrutusMaximas..... I ordered a pair of the AX-30020, they are the Rosewood-dark red color, those they had in stock.

Quick Reply: Our new Outlaw Helmets