Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2012 TGlide Trunk Latch Thought

Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockwall TG John
Hmmm, I was sure my dealer told me the red trikes were faster
If a Harley Dealer told you that it must be true.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They all lie. Mine told me black was the fastest. Think he meant the fastest to get dirty.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
Harley adjusted my trunk lock under original warranty. However, I still lube it periodically and it stays closed. My biggest concern is that the trunk door will come open when pulling my trailer, causing trunk lid damage by hitting the trailer coupler.

So.....I made "trunk lid restrictor". It is basically a double ended latch which connects to both sides of the trunk lid cables. Before I close the lid, I fasten it to both lid cables, pulling the cables toward each other. If the lid opens while I am riding, the lid will only come down about 4 inches. Works very well and easy to disconnect and provides a safety net in case the trunk opens during riding.

I did the restriction thing also, but I use a small bungy that makes like a spring between the cables. SURE I TRUST HARLEY, YEP !!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 AM
sloufoot

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Then I thought of one of the basic rules of engineering: "If it is supposed to move and it doesn't spray it with WD40". So I did...and now it works smoothly and latches perfectly with just a little lovn shove!

500 miles later I have yet to not be able to close the trunk with a little shove...and have not had anyone look admiringly at my beautiful rig and say "Hey dude! Your trunk is open!"...

Just a thought or two about WD40. This product is actually a water dispersant . In fact it is formula #40. Never meant to be a lubricant.
I have seen it glue the action on a Remington 700 together so solid it took almost 3 hours to get the bolt to slide out to be cleaned !!
I realize the tolerances are greater in the latch than the rifle, but wouldn't it be better to use an oil based, or a silicone spray lubricant ??
I save the WD40 to dry out electrical connections, or dry out a distributor cap or coil tower.

JUST A THOUGHT........

Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
RogueRyder1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Just a thought or two about WD40. This product is actually a water dispersant . In fact it is formula #40. Never meant to be a lubricant.
I have seen it glue the action on a Remington 700 together so solid it took almost 3 hours to get the bolt to slide out to be cleaned !!
I realize the tolerances are greater in the latch than the rifle, but wouldn't it be better to use an oil based, or a silicone spray lubricant ??
I save the WD40 to dry out electrical connections, or dry out a distributor cap or coil tower.

JUST A THOUGHT........

Thank you for that reply on using oil based or silicone spray versus WD40. I used WD40 on it the first time and took it to the dealer the following week because it was still sticking and not able to close trunk.
The mechanic said DO NOT USE WD40!
Now I will keep a small can of silicone spray handy!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:28 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When I got my trike in July, the trunk would not stay closed. I adjusted it by feel a couple of times until it would snap shut and stay. Then, there was a major leak when I'd wash the bike or I rode it in the rain. I finally took it back to the dealer and he adjusted the latch mechanism. Now, there is no leak----I just rode 150 miles in the rain with no leak----and it stays shut. So in my case, you can have both.
As a quick footnote on a sub topic, the primary ingredient in WD40 is Stoddard Solvent. It was not formulated as a lubricant and shouldn't be used as one.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure black trikes are faster. In fact, just last weekend I passed a red trike while I was pulling a goldwing trike

Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 PM
sloufoot

Originally Posted by Tampakingpin
Pretty sure black trikes are faster. In fact, just last weekend I passed a red trike while I was pulling a goldwing trike

He was just still scared & shaking from the last time he over twisted the throttle !!!........

Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cochon
When I got my trike in July, the trunk would not stay closed. I adjusted it by feel a couple of times until it would snap shut and stay. Then, there was a major leak when I'd wash the bike or I rode it in the rain. I finally took it back to the dealer and he adjusted the latch mechanism. Now, there is no leak----I just rode 150 miles in the rain with no leak----and it stays shut. So in my case, you can have both.
As a quick footnote on a sub topic, the primary ingredient in WD40 is Stoddard Solvent. It was not formulated as a lubricant and shouldn't be used as one.
BTW,
Stoddard solvent was what we used to clean all of our .30 cal,.50cal and 20mm aircraft guns with in Nam.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
hoffmd53
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjust the pin portion of the latch which is on the lid should stay shut.

The following users liked this post:
Cagmo (09-24-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 TGlide Trunk Latch Thought