Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Bright Ass Lights pattern questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Rich B.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bright *** Lights pattern questions.

Okay...I'm looking to purchase/install LED tail lights on my Tri-Glide, but because our trikes use the tail lights as signal indicators my thinking is that the patterns of the Bright *** Lights are going to confuse other drivers to the rear, especially if a turn is being indicated and the flash pattern is set to one of the drawn-out pulse patterns. Make any sense?

The other question I have is...since these lights would not be synchronized via an independent controller, will they indeed enter the flash patterns at exactly the same time after brake actuation, and will the timing of the patterns be exactly the same? If they're not...again confusion.

Or...should I just go with an LED tail light set like the one HD offers?

Any other comments are welcome such as your experience with other manufacturer's LED lights and recommendations.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Skeet7373
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't give you any info on the BAL's except they are bright. I rode behind another trike that had them and it all worked like mine, brake came on, turn flashed along with the tour pack light. He did have a pulse pattern that flashed maybe 3 times then solid, I think. But I can say after riding behind mine with the HD LED lights , then ride behind one with BAL's, there is no comparison, the BAL's are way brighter than HD's. My dealer parts manager would not allow them to be sold because they were not HD's. But due to customer demand and the other dealers selling them, they do now and I'm stuck with my HD LED's.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
mustangcav
Stage III

Rich, I did get a BAL for my RoadGlide Ultra and it works great. I considered using them on my 2011 TriGlide but decided against it just because of the cost...To give my very unqualified judgment on whether the lights will keep the same pattern with a brake input, they will both activate simultaneously and the lights are probably internally timed by a microchip of some sort, so the chances they will flash equally with the same preset-by-you pattern are high.

Now the turn signal question is one you should call BAL about and ask them what happens when both a brake and a turn input hits the light. Unless someone has actually done this (not heard about it from a friend of a friend's pet dog etc) they're just guessing, and dropping $400+ on someone's guess is probably not ideal. I ended up getting an HD wiring kit that gets the lights on the TriGlide tourpak to light up for the brakes and turn signals just to get more viz back there.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with and I wish you well on that!

Last edited by mustangcav; 01-22-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM
antonio-c
5th Gear

I had two Bright *** Lights put on my 2012 Tri-Glide when I purchased it 16 months ago - one of the best things I ever did. I have the stop/turn signal pattern set up to flash when the light comes on and then stay steady. It looks great from the rear, very noticeable. When using the brakes, both lights stay in perfect sync.

Several folks in our H.O.G. chapter have the same set up and I know from riding behind them that the two lights work great. Both the tail and stop lights are so much more noticeable than the stock tail/stop lights. The turn signal function is not confusing at all.

As for cost, it is a drop in the bucket compared to the Tri-Glide cost and the safety factor is priceless.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

My BAL's flash twice then become solid. They are both synchronized simply by wiring them up to the original wiring harness left when I removed the stock lights. The flashers are synchronized with the front turn signals as well. Two flashes for each "blink" and repeat.

There is a magnet that comes with the BAL's. Use it to change the sequence of the flash or have no flash at all. I think there are 9 calibrations/assortments of flashes including SOS flash when stranded using your emergency flashers. Just keep the small magnet in your tour pac pouch.

Installation is a breeze, wiring is too simple. Nothing else to install with them as they have everything built in. However... there is an internal gasket that must be aligned or water will get into the housing. Even if water gets into the housing, all of the electrical components are super sealed from moisture damage. If the gasket is not right you will simply see moisture in the back part of the lens. Just clean it out and realign the gasket. Again easy. Two screws. I changed my stock screws to safety heads. That way no one can take them off my bike without having the correct tool.

I didn't have them on my other trike. Was almost rear ended many times in the day light by cagers on their cell phones, not paying attention or you couldn't see my brake lights when bright sun was behind me. Yeah, screeching tires and trucks running off the road to keep from hitting me. Not this time... The cost of repairing my trike or me is far more than a pair of BAL's.

Do they work? Skeet was riding behind me and we did switch trikes for a bit. Her comments are above.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 01-23-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cycle parts for less has the bal-1 for $165.00 free shipping. Got mine last week.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bal

Is there a special set of these lights for a Tri Glide or do you just order two singles W/O the license plate light ? The web site is nor really clear. THANKS ! !

Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Two bike = 1 purchase

TGlide = 2 purchases of the same for a two wheel bike.

No special package purchase. Just order two w/o the license plate bracket.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM
seabiz
6th Gear

BAL-3S smoked laydown lens
BAL-1R red
BAL-3R red laydown lens
All of above are the 4 LED version w/o license plate light.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
seabiz
6th Gear

I was advised by BAL that none of the parade options will work correctly with the TriGlide. This cuts your available patterns to half. Some of the patterns are DOT compliant, others are not; i believe this based on the brightness intensity. BAL also makes a 12 LED police version which I understand will burn your retinas!

Quick Reply: Bright Ass Lights pattern questions.