Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Mountain curves

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Hewatson
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mountain curves

Been thinking about a trike. Living in Florence S C,I am only about 5 hours from good mountain roads. I see some trikes up there but not many. I am wondering how the trikes handle,are you still able to ride at a good pace? I still plan on keeping my FLHTP, but was looking at a good way to take long trip with the wife.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Trikes handle the curves well, actually they do better than 2 wheels.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live about 20 minutes from some nice twisty mountain roads. I'm looking forward to riding them tomorrow! Just do it!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 AM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just rode my 2013 Anniversary Trike on my trip back to Florida (after just purchasing it in northern Ohio) on I 77 in West Virginia. I had only ridden 2 hours (since I bought it), when I hit the mountains. I was a little apprehensive at first, but really, no problem. I could go 65 around the curves, no problem. You do however, need to get used to the g forces a Trike creates compared to a 2 wheeler. The Trike was very stable. I probably could have gone even faster, but I am slowly getting used to the Trike.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

When you guys go into a curve the first thought should be... Be Safe. Once you see the curve in its entirety and hit the apex of the curve.... punch it.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My TriGlide take the curves just fine. My friend scrubs his footboards on his Ultra trying to keep up, that's without my pushing the trike to fuzzy limits.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Brentwood Bob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't bought or even have had the chance to ride a trike yet but with all I'm reading it sounds like a piece of cake to ride one. Just take it easy and things will be fine.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife and a friend just did the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Moonshiner 28 and Charohala Skyway on trikes. They just breezed right through the curves. We ride the Rockie Mountains (Million Dollar Highway, Pikes Peak, Rockie Mountain National Park, etc.) and the trikes are just fine. My wife has no trouble keeping up with a group, and she is not a real agressive rider.

Bill

Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 PM
wacool65
Novice

I have a 2013, and I'm right up the road from you in Fort Mill, SC. I don't have many miles on mine yet but aggressive riding seems a breeze. On occasion I have lifted the rear tire on really sharp turns into the neighborhood and the engine just revs and tire chirps when it re-contacts the ground. Never feels like it is out of control......but I am a jap sport bike rider by heart and a convert to Harley.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:03 PM
sidecar
Road Warrior

The wife and I rode with billnourse and his wife. We are riding two up on a 2013 110th anniversary tri glide we had no trouble keeping up.

Quick Reply: Mountain curves