Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 Triglides

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
El Antifreeze

There goes the price of antifreeze !!!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 AM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the moco wanted to get some before Uncle Sam started buying it up. lol

Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 AM
frank88
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 TriGlide and new headers with FuelPak

I have a 2014 triglide that has the Harley download with vance and hines slip ons. it runs great. I thought about getting rid of the catalytic convertor to reduce heat. I've spoken with mechanics from a few dealers and everyone of them told me that it will reduce heat but it still will be running pretty hot. Also I most likely would not notice any performance difference from what I already have with the download and slip-on's.
Any trike owners gone the new headers/fuelpak route with recommendations?
Any input appreciated. Just not sure if the results would be worth the expense.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Bpago
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frank88
I have a 2014 triglide that has the Harley download with vance and hines slip ons. it runs great. I thought about getting rid of the catalytic convertor to reduce heat. I've spoken with mechanics from a few dealers and everyone of them told me that it will reduce heat but it still will be running pretty hot. Also I most likely would not notice any performance difference from what I already have with the download and slip-on's.
Frank, I have the same set up as you. I also have the V&H power headers and got rid of the CC. I notice a little heat reduction, but right foot and ankle can get very warm in shorts. I ride in Florida. Wife says she noticed a big difference, I just wear jeans on longer rides in summer and use the bat vents to change air flow. So, I have the Stage 1 with V&H stuff with HD tune. Runs great, sounds great. Dealer said expect 10-12%increase in hp and torque. Seems about right.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I am not in the least bit concerned with heat - I don't notice it since I installed floorboard extenders and a set of crotch coolers (from Capt. Itch). My 2014 TG is completely stock. I never did have a heat issue on any of my Harleys - maybe I have a higher tolerance for heat then most people. I would never ever ride in shorts. I just came back from California through the Mojave at 120* no heat issue. I wore a cooling vest and Cycle Gear Heat-Out base layers and a mesh jacket = cool as a cucumber - not so for all my riding companions.
One thing I did learn was to wear something over your mouth in such high temps so you could breath while riding 65/70 mph.

I no longer have the need for speed. I grew up and now concentrate on comfort and a loud music.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by frank88
Just FYI, not trying to discourage you from purchasing the Fuel Pak, just providing my experience. I had the V&H power duals and V&H fuel Pak tuner. The tune sucked big time. You have to chose your likes and dislikes provide information to V&H they provide a tune you have to key in back and you will sacrifice some other area. Example, remove decal pop resulted in loss of some hiway performance, then to get hiway performance back lost lower end torque, just kept chasing my tail. So this year I went with Dynojet Power vision purchased from DK Customs, (you get better price and support) and since I installed in less than 2 minutes was starting the trike and out for first auto tune. Nice thing is when you go to different locations, you can let an auto tune run a couple of sessions and be set for best tune for altitude, temp, ext. I would highly recommend the PV tuner.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:20 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

We complete agree with Gary. We live on the Mojave desert in So. Cal. Floor board extensions on the: '09, '11, and '14 Tri-Glides did the trick for wife and I. 'Wet Vests' are a must out here, but I doubt their efficiency where the humidity is high.

You can remove your Cat if you want, you may perceive lower temps, the cat doesn't lower exhaust gas temps.

I do wear shorts when riding locally. If we are going any distance I have a pair of denim chaps with Kevlar inserts and a mesh jacket. Look like baggy jeans. Wife bought a pair of men's Levi's a couple of sizes too large. It is nice to get back to shorts when we get where we are going.

Ride Safe, modify to your hearts content, and ride it like you stole it!!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
We complete agree with Gary. We live on the Mojave desert in So. Cal. Floor board extensions on the: '09, '11, and '14 Tri-Glides did the trick for wife and I. 'Wet Vests' are a must out here, but I doubt their efficiency where the humidity is high.

You can remove your Cat if you want, you may perceive lower temps, the cat doesn't lower exhaust gas temps.

I do wear shorts when riding locally. If we are going any distance I have a pair of denim chaps with Kevlar inserts and a mesh jacket. Look like baggy jeans. Wife bought a pair of men's Levi's a couple of sizes too large. It is nice to get back to shorts when we get where we are going.

Ride Safe, modify to your hearts content, and ride it like you stole it!!
You are correct, removing the 'Cat' does not reduce the exhaust gas temps, but it does remove the retention of heat that the 'Cats' are providing.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
You are correct, removing the 'Cat' does not reduce the exhaust gas temps, but it does remove the retention of heat that the 'Cats' are providing.

Absolutely it will. Exhaust will remain hot longer after the bike is shut off, but removing it will not make it run any cooler, the cat does not generate any additional heat. The pipes will get as hot as the exhaust gasses. Consider, even if you could cool the exhaust gasses by 200*, you are still looking at 1000* pipes. We have found that moving ones legs away from the pipes and motor is affective.

BUT, if having the Cat there causes you grief, take it out!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:19 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Absolutely it will. Exhaust will remain hot longer after the bike is shut off, but removing it will not make it run any cooler, the cat does not generate any additional heat. The pipes will get as hot as the exhaust gasses. Consider, even if you could cool the exhaust gasses by 200*, you are still looking at 1000* pipes. We have found that moving ones legs away from the pipes and motor is affective.

BUT, if having the Cat there causes you grief, take it out!
Not talking about temperature of exhaust gases, never said the Cats generate any heat. It is a hard sell for me to believe that an obstruction in an exhaust pipe would not reduce the flow of hot gases.

The only GRIEF the Cat causes me is the heat that it retains and I did remove it!