Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Now Pulley and Differential - What Next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now Pulley and Differential - What Next?

I have a 2012 TG and took it in for its 20K service. Technician found my pulley was rubbing, differential had metal shavings, bearings wearing out....

I am thinking about sending the TG down the road. Since I bought it new, I have had the shift foot lever disassemble itself and fall out on a Smoky Mountain road, the stock clutch burn out, and now this. I have had service done religiously every 5K miles.

My warranty covers this repair, but my TG sat in the shop over a gorgeous weekend awaiting parts. It's still not repaired. Not sure how long I am willing to keep playing this game.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
acunn1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade it in on a 2014 trike

Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

Doubt I will trade it in for a 2014 with an untested engine and new "infotainment" system. I am coming to believe the Frankenstein that is the trike was simply never adequately designed as a three wheeler. It's all the basic Ultra components with that fat-arsed back end just slapped on. Mine has a standard clutch (why not heavy duty?) that failed, shift lever, and now all the tweaks, repairs, and mods required to get it to run well.

You may be finding me on a bagger soon.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

When I got mad at my 2010 a new GL1800 took its place, this coming Tuesday it will be getting triked at the Hannigan factory.

I feel your pain, its a PIA to keep having stuff break, in the 22,000 miles I had my 10 it had the fuel tank recall, the brake switch recall, the rear brakes actually failed before the switch was replaced. I also had the start push button fail causing the starter to stay engaged, the stator had started to leak oil where it comes out from the engine case, and the compensator was clunking like nobody's business. I also had an electrical gremlin which may have been the ignition switch getting ready to go. I had enough, just didn't trust traveling on it anymore.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:57 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

John,
You need to join the Roadglide club with Dave, Jake and I

Last edited by bronxbill; 08-30-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
When I got mad at my 2010 a new GL1800 took its place, this coming Tuesday it will be getting triked at the Hannigan factory.

I feel your pain, its a PIA to keep having stuff break, in the 22,000 miles I had my 10 it had the fuel tank recall, the brake switch recall, the rear brakes actually failed before the switch was replaced. I also had the start push button fail causing the starter to stay engaged, the stator had started to leak oil where it comes out from the engine case, and the compensator was clunking like nobody's business. I also had an electrical gremlin which may have been the ignition switch getting ready to go. I had enough, just didn't trust traveling on it anymore.
I have had so many problems with my 2009 I can't remember them all.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I have had so many problems with my 2009 I can't remember them all.
Lets see.

3 start buttons with one stranding you for 3 days 1,200 miles from home.
Front Wheel bearings
Oil filter to oil cooler adapter warped and needed replaced.
top motor mount link hiem joint worn and squeaking needing to be replaced
Compensator shot needing replaced.
Top motor mount bolts broken where it goes to head.
Top motor mount bolt missing and one almost all the way out.
Rear brake switch recall.
Front gas tank mount recall.
Rear O2 sensor bad which stupid assed selling HD dealer couldn't trouble shoot and find even though it threw a code.

I think I got them all.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Lets see.

3 start buttons with one stranding you for 3 days 1,200 miles from home.
Front Wheel bearings
Oil filter to oil cooler adapter warped and needed replaced.
top motor mount link hiem joint worn and squeaking needing to be replaced
Compensator shot needing replaced.
Top motor mount bolts broken where it goes to head.
Top motor mount bolt missing and one almost all the way out.
Rear brake switch recall.
Front gas tank mount recall.
Rear O2 sensor bad which stupid assed selling HD dealer couldn't trouble shoot and find even though it threw a code.

I think I got them all.
That is more than I thought. THANKS for reminding me.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:29 PM
jaalbert
Stage II

Found the same problem last night when checking out my 2013 Tri G for a 3-4000 mile trip to west coast and down the coast hi way. Lucky I have a 2 post lift in my shop and built an adapter to lift trike. The snap ring that keeps rear sprocket from shifting was gone which allowed the gear to move left about 3/8 inch and was rubbing on the carrier. I was able to pull axle and drop the diff assy. No luck finding a snap ring so went to the lathe and made a spacer installed it between rear pulley and the left carrier bearing. Spacer was .255 inch which left .012 wiggle room. Better than factory now. Spent 5 hrs and about $20.00 in materials and locktite. FATMAN

Old 08-21-2016, 10:01 AM
46FL
2nd Gear

jaalbert, on a ride yesterday, heard a noise in the rear. Put er on the lift and found the same issue with my '12. About the same movement on the sprocket. looking to do the same fix. the manual says to take off he body, is that a fact?

Quick Reply: Now Pulley and Differential - What Next?