Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Exhaust port?

Old 12-28-2013, 12:42 PM
HDTGBOB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust port?

First of all, Merry Christmas to all and have a great new year.
Now, does anyone know if the exhaust port location is the same for the 14 water cooled head compared to the air cooled 103? For example, left/right distance, vertical distance from frame, flange size, etc. I'm looking at putting a set of the V&H dresser duals on my 14 TG and their website makes no distinction between the AC and WC 103 models. They do list an adaptor kit for the TG application, but that's for the drop to the mufflers. So my only concern is the port configuration.
Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:51 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by HDTGBOB
First of all, Merry Christmas to all and have a great new year.
Now, does anyone know if the exhaust port location is the same for the 14 water cooled head compared to the air cooled 103? For example, left/right distance, vertical distance from frame, flange size, etc. I'm looking at putting a set of the V&H dresser duals on my 14 TG and their website makes no distinction between the AC and WC 103 models. They do list an adaptor kit for the TG application, but that's for the drop to the mufflers. So my only concern is the port configuration.
Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.
The exhaust port is still in the same location. I know you have to do what makes you happy, but V&H dresser duals.... Yuck, their bottom end torque killers, not to mention they have issues with proper O2 sensor depth.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM
HDTGBOB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by msocko3
The exhaust port is still in the same location. I know you have to do what makes you happy, but V&H dresser duals.... Yuck, their bottom end torque killers, not to mention they have issues with proper O2 sensor depth.
Ok, that's good, the ports are the same. So any head pipes that fit the AC engine will fit the WC model, thanks.
What's your experience with the Dresser duals and bottom end?
Is the threaded port for the sensors not the same as the stock pipe?
What do you think of the V&H Power Duals instead? They talk about the "hidden power chamber" for increased HP.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dresser duals are a 2 into 2 system, the Power Duals are 2-1-2 with the X type collector which makes more power. Are you going for looks or performance? I just ordered the Power Duals for my Trike, along with H.O. Slip Ons, SE Ventilator High Flow air intake and an HD MAP download. May look into TTS tuning in the future, I want to see how it performs with the download first. My motivation is to uncough the motor while gaining additional power and to make it sound like a Harley. Can't get used to how quiet it is stock.
Besides, I've never had a Harley I didn't do at least a stage one to. I intend to have this one a long time, so I'm going to make it mine.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:33 PM
HDTGBOB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
The Dresser duals are a 2 into 2 system, the Power Duals are 2-1-2 with the X type collector which makes more power. Are you going for looks or performance? I just ordered the Power Duals for my Trike, along with H.O. Slip Ons, SE Ventilator High Flow air intake and an HD MAP download. May look into TTS tuning in the future, I want to see how it performs with the download first. My motivation is to uncough the motor while gaining additional power and to make it sound like a Harley. Can't get used to how quiet it is stock.
Besides, I've never had a Harley I didn't do at least a stage one to. I intend to have this one a long time, so I'm going to make it mine.
I agree. I want to let it breath more, I want the sound of a real Harley and I want to increase power a bit, in that order. But I do like the look of the dresser true duals a bit better than the power duals. If the dresser's loose torque, then I'm not interested.
What about the CO sensor ports?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

I agree. I want to let it breath more, I want the sound of a real Harley and I want to increase power a bit, in that order. But I do like the look of the dresser true duals a bit better than the power duals. If the dresser's loose torque, then I'm not interested.
What about the CO sensor ports?
I'm not sure about what M3 was addressing on the Dresser Duals and the O2 sensors(no experience here but I believe he knows his sh**) but I had the Power Duals and HO Slip ons on my 13 RG with no issues. These aren't new to the market parts, lots of TG owners have the setup I'm getting and love them for power, sound etc. Bottom line is, it's your bike, do what you want to. I look for advice here to save $$$. I expect to love what I chose or else I wouldn't have chosen what I did.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:48 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
I'm not sure about what M3 was addressing on the Dresser Duals and the O2 sensors(no experience here but I believe he knows his sh**) but I had the Power Duals and HO Slip ons on my 13 RG with no issues. These aren't new to the market parts, lots of TG owners have the setup I'm getting and love them for power, sound etc. Bottom line is, it's your bike, do what you want to. I look for advice here to save $$$. I expect to love what I chose or else I wouldn't have chosen what I did.

Good luck and ride safe.
The "true duals" are just that. The pipes don't come together, & stay separate all the way from the head out the muffler & as far as the exhaust back pressure. The 2-1-2 come together in a collector area to equalize the pack pressure between the cylinders.
This helps a lot at the bottom RPM area . Autos sometimes have a crossover between the dual exhaust to gain torque & horsepower also. How each make of the headers have their own idea of what works the best for them, & not to get into patent infringement is what gets everyone a different look to do the same basic thing.
I just purchased a header from S&S they call the "Power Tune Duals". The pipes look like true separate pipes, but have a hidden crossover that you can't see. They also have the 18mm O2 ports & the 12mm ports for the stock O2's in their original areas. Along with plugs for the ports that are unused. The only drawback so far is the fact I can't heat wrap the entire header without it showing because of the crossover area. But I will do all I can get to without showing.
I also want the ports for both sets of O2's , so I can use the broadband O2's for tuning, & still have the narrow band for the ECM to use. Also have the look of the tru-duals .

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Twin-...e--p24004.html
I don't think they have these for the 14's yet. Might call & ask why......

Last edited by sloufoot; 12-29-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Ok, that's good, the ports are the same. So any head pipes that fit the AC engine will fit the WC model, thanks.
What's your experience with the Dresser duals and bottom end?
Is the threaded port for the sensors not the same as the stock pipe?
What do you think of the V&H Power Duals instead? They talk about the "hidden power chamber" for increased HP.
The dresser dual IMO isn't one of the better true dual setups, it'll shift your torque up the rpm scale which isn't what your looking for on something as heavy as a trike. You might be able to salvage it a little with mufflers that have a 1.75 baffle or better yet an adjustable disk muffler like the Suppertrap brand. For a different twist on the power dual looks have you looked at the Crushers from Kuryakyn? http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/1802/Crusher-Dual-Headpipe-with-Power-Cell.
I've read some decent reports of bikes making decent numbers with the Crusher dual head pipes and their Crusher mellow mufflers http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4084/Crusher-Mellow-Mufflers.

With any after market exhaust you want to check how much the O2 sensor protrudes into the exhaust stream. Some manufacturers use to tall of a bung or get them at a goofy angle. You can use a paper clip or wire to use as a gauge to see how deep they are in the stream, you want as much of the sensor in the stream as you can get. Just the tip doesn't count. If enough of the sensor isn't in the stream you will have to grind, machine down the bung or replace it.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 AM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does an aftermarket head pipe make that much of a difference over a stock/decatted head pipe to justify the cost?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM
TwinCooled
Banned

Originally Posted by PIGGI
Does an aftermarket head pipe make that much of a difference over a stock/decatted head pipe to justify the cost?
I would have to say that is a very personal decision.

In my case, I have always felt it was worth it. Killing the CAT in and of itself will reduce heat and improve power. Horsepower and torque will increase which in my eyes a good thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust port?