Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:15 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
The amount of oil will vary, engine to engine....what is more important for performance is to not put hot oxygen depleted air into the combustion chambers....regardless of the amount of oil, oxygen in the air is needed for the gas to burn and produce power...when oxygen rich air is being displaced by oxygen depleted air ....that is a power robber.

Kevin
Oxygen depleted air is the performance killer (in simple terms) gumming up carbs and throttle bodies is a problem, but so are the valves and pistons as you display on you web page, that can cause several problems which you also discuss, detonation can come into play as the deposits start to get hot enough to cause false ignition.

As for the amount of oil from engine to engine, yup, bad rings will cause more oil and lower compression, this stuff all comes into play with any combustion engine.
I agree with the idea of taking the crank case vent out of the air intake system completely, again, I was merely asking the op how he determined the "low end grunt". As you elude to, the dyno runs are WOT and that does challenge us to establish real HP and or Torque increases on a street driven vehicle.
Earlier in my life I was a mechanic by trade, very interesting comments from owners were always being thrown around, "I put a double pumper on my small block and got a ton of power" and such, reality, most caused their performance to decrease. It will always come back to one thing fuel to air ratio. even there, there are trade offs, performance verses engine life.

We are are the same page, or at least I think we are.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Can you explain how to do that
Yes, but I did not say it would be easy. if you want easy, the catch can method is great.

You will need to cut a hole in the header pipe behind the CAT (if you have a CAT), weld a bung on, add a tube into the bung hole, this functions just like a carb and would draw fuel from the float bowl, this will cause a vacuum effect which will draw the gases from the engine, I have used A.I.R valves (smaller valves were found on compact cars) directly on the bung on some configurations where back pressure might be present at low rpm (usually on full exhaust system or engines with mufflers.
All this depends on how far you want to go to increase performance and engine longevity while reducing the mess of an open tube blowing oil under your bike.

No, I don't have dyno sheets to prove this so if you don't see the logic or believe otherwise, well, I was merely suggesting something that has been used for years in race applications.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:24 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Oxygen depleted air is the performance killer (in simple terms) gumming up carbs and throttle bodies is a problem, but so are the valves and pistons as you display on you web page, that can cause several problems which you also discuss, detonation can come into play as the deposits start to get hot enough to cause false ignition.

As for the amount of oil from engine to engine, yup, bad rings will cause more oil and lower compression, this stuff all comes into play with any combustion engine.
I agree with the idea of taking the crank case vent out of the air intake system completely, again, I was merely asking the op how he determined the "low end grunt". As you elude to, the dyno runs are WOT and that does challenge us to establish real HP and or Torque increases on a street driven vehicle.
Earlier in my life I was a mechanic by trade, very interesting comments from owners were always being thrown around, "I put a double pumper on my small block and got a ton of power" and such, reality, most caused their performance to decrease. It will always come back to one thing fuel to air ratio. even there, there are trade offs, performance verses engine life.

We are are the same page, or at least I think we are.
Yeah, we're on the same page. ...and, yeah, it's hard to measure the power increase (objectively) in daily riding.

One unique thing about the HD engines...because of the remote oil tank, the scavenging the oil pump does also has an effect on the amount of blow-by. Rings can be in great shape, but if the oil pump is not scavenging well, then there will be more blow-by. To go just a bit further, the TC cranks have a tendency to shift...and when they do, that oil pump does not work as well.

Dunno if there has been anything definitive yet on the hit & miss M8 oil pump challenges.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 PM
BykerBill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have I done with my Triglide? :( Nothing, Snow melting

I'm new to Trigliding, purchased a new 2018 in Early Feb, next weekend 12" of snow.

I've been riding for around 45 years and legs are not like they used to be. Sold Ultra to get this one.

We did rent a 17 for the Dragons tail last March, we liked it and decided it was the way to go.

Now, I don't think I will go crazy on the trike but I need some help on deciding what to do with the audio system. I am not a fan of hogtunes so let's leave that out as an option. I hope some of you can share what you have done with the speakers and what amp you might recommend.

I will get the lift kit, sounds like a positive to me. I added Rinehart 4" slip-on mufflers, sounds nice.

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by BykerBill; 02-23-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BykerBill

Now, I don't think I will go crazy on the trike...

Thanks

Bill
Yeah... you say that now... it's addictave

Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 408 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah... you say that now... it's addictive

Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Vintage Fog Lamps

found in a dusty hole at H-D a pair of vintage rectangular fog lamps for the lower fairing. Changed to LED, now debating running wiring outside or inside the chrome tube. Loved the look on a used bike for sale at my dealer, so had him shake the trees..

Old 02-23-2018, 04:09 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by BykerBill
I'm new to Trigliding, purchased a new 2018 in Early Feb, next weekend 12" of snow.

I've been riding for around 45 years and legs are not like they used to be. Sold Ultra to get this one.

We did rent a 17 for the Dragons tail last March, we liked it and decided it was the way to go.

Now, I don't think I will go crazy on the trike but I need some help on deciding what to do with the audio system. I am not a fan of hogtunes so let's leave that out as an option. I hope some of you can share what you have done with the speakers and what amp you might recommend.

I will get the lift kit, sounds like a positive to me. I added Rinehart 4" slip-on mufflers, sounds nice.

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone

Thanks

Bill
1. I did the Dragon a couple years ago - pulled in behind some crotch rockets. Stayed with them most of the time - I can do hairpins faster then them, but they pull away on the few short straights.

2. What's the fun if you don't get a little crazy

3. I've always had HogTunes on all my other bikes, but decided on going with the H-D setup this time. Started with the Stage I kit first which was fine. Then I had all this Social Security monry laying around doing nothing - Sooooo - I had the Stage II kit installed. = AWESOME!

Last year I upgraded to Cobra slip ons/ Stage I air filter/fuel pac = so I can go down the Dragon faster.

Good luck

Old 02-23-2018, 05:00 PM
BykerBill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real reason we rented the trike was I took a sharp uphill turn to our cabin i n the Mts and lost the RPMS and dumped the bike, I pull the hamsstring really bad and couldn't walk very well. I was not to be denied so we got the trike and I could slide on and didn't hurt much to motor it.

lol

Old 02-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Kip Rouse
Novice
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow....just got my bag, rack, and lock combination......mounting on the trike took less than 5 seconds and no straps to mess with....the bag is SWEET, so much nicer than the HD tour pack bag......having Shane at Rickrak mount the bag to the rack at no cost was a nice extra at no charge.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?