Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues-2014 Trikes And Newer Rushmore Trikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:08 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Old-Harley-Rider
Gary
Thanks for the reply and info.. I guess I jumped the gun on looking for a DECENT price for the lift kit.. for a price of $60.00 that is way cooler than the $200.00 I keep seeing.. I just couldn't justify the price.. I know what it takes to design and market different things as I work in a steel fab shop.. and I wasn't trying to be cheap about it.. (especially after what I paid for a Tri Glide ) but you have to save where you can at my age ( over the 60 mark ) and the high price just does not seem worth the cost for what they are..
I also work for a steel fab company. Yep, you're right, steel is cheap, but the designing, fit up, redesign and testing isn't.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Packers-FLSTC
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Loud shifting

Since purchasing our TG in 2014, new, I've been complaining about the noise when I shift. Non HD friends always ask if there is something wrong but the dealer is no help. This year I took by TG to a local Motorcycle service outlet who told me that HD is the only motor vehicle manufacturer who specified engine oil for their transitions. He replace my engine oil that was in the transition with actual TRANSMITION FLUID and wa-laa, I can barely hear the damn thing shift. I'm sold. No idea why HD cannot figure this out.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:25 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Packers-FLSTC
Since purchasing our TG in 2014, new, I've been complaining about the noise when I shift. Non HD friends always ask if there is something wrong but the dealer is no help. This year I took by TG to a local Motorcycle service outlet who told me that HD is the only motor vehicle manufacturer who specified engine oil for their transitions. He replace my engine oil that was in the transition with actual TRANSMITION FLUID and wa-laa, I can barely hear the damn thing shift. I'm sold. No idea why HD cannot figure this out.
Along with hundreds of other riders that put the same oil in all 3 holes....because Harley says so.

3 different applications = 3 different fluids.

I use Amsoil (preferably) or any brand name 20-50 syn motorcycle oil in the engine. (10-40 in the winter)

Amsoil 75-110 Severe Gear oil in the trans

H-D Formula+ in the primary.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 11-02-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Packers-FLSTC
They have ........... It's called buy in bulk. They know damn good and well that the majority of us will go to an actual transmission oil and primary specific oil at the 1k oil change. I don't even wait that long. 250 miles and all fluids plus the filter get changed.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM
rharbick
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2016 has 1100 miles on it. At 900 miles the Check Engine And Overheat lights came on. After a couple of visits the dealer replaced the Thermostat. That was three weeks ago. Yesterday started it up and they came on before the bike was even really warmed up (fans hadn’t even kicked on, and at no time has the bottle burped). So now I have to take it back and I guess I’ll ask for a pump replacement. Not sure what else could cause the lights coming on.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Not saying a word .......... I don't want to jinx myself.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Along with hundreds of other riders that put the same oil in all 3 holes....because Harley says so.

I use Amsoil (preferably) or any brand name 20-50 syn motorcycle oil in the engine. (10-40 in the winter)

Amsoil 75-110 Severe Gear oil in the trans

H-D Formula+ in the primary.
I used Amsoil in my CVO, I'll be doing the same in my trike, huge difference in shifting.
"3 different applications = 3 different fluids." absolutely

Old 01-19-2018, 03:37 PM
rharbick
Advanced

Ok, follow up to my entry in Nov. of 2017. Took it back to my favorite Harley dealership and we had a head banging session. Came out of it with the idea that the pump was really working fine so that couldn’t be the problem. So, Harley paid to have the two Heat Sensors changed out and (cross your fingers and what ever other parts you like to play with) it seems to have taken care of the problem. As for the Amsoil line above - I put Amsoil down all the holes - and it shifts better and seems to run smoother. So, as soon as this winter snap gets it’s ugly *** out of here we’re gonna do some riding!

Old 01-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Old-Harley-Rider
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know what you mean by &*$#* weather Ohio here.. I am looking for the Amsoil 75 110 severe but in this town its hard to find.. like anything else probably have to order it from somewhere.. I used Castrol 20/50 Syn motor oil in my SuperGlide .. really like it... going to use it in my Tri Glide..still thinking about the lift kit for T/G but I still got time for that.. thanks to everyone on here glad there is a place to find out about different things on Harleys

Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM
rharbick
Advanced

I ended up ordering all my Amsoil products direct from Amsoil. Comes super fast - price is good. If you join their membership thingy you get a percentage off all orders. As for the lift kit - I was looking at that - then was reading that it would change the steering dynamics of the Trike, possibly enough that you will have to have the front end recalibrated and balanced out. I can understand the issue as there is so much weight on that Trike it has to be carefully balanced Front and rear. A “heavy” 2-wheeler might weigh in at 850 to 1000 pounds, but the Trike runs about 1400-1600 wet without the rider. They put a lot of that weight on the rear end for good reason.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues-2014 Trikes And Newer Rushmore Trikes