Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ptt switch on 2014 triglide

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:35 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts
Default Ptt switch on 2014 triglide

I'm bringing my TG in next weekend to have the CB and audio upgrade installed.
While at the dealer yesterday I noticed it had a PTT switch. I asked the parts guy about it and he said that's the way they come in. No CB just the PTT switch. My bike did not have the TPP switch and I have to pay to have one put in.
My question is how many of you had the PTT switch on their bike when they got it and how many of you didn't???
I'm thinking how do you talk to your passenger on the intercom without a PTT switch?

Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

The intercom is voice activated you don't need the PTT switch.
Ours was delivered in early September and had the PTT switch, friend got one in October and he did not have the switch.
I'm guessing here but the bike is wired for the switch and the switch assembly is a module no individual switches. Maybe Harley figured out it is cheaper to make one assembly for the right side that has all the switches than stock 2 modules because of only one switch. Plus the fact so many touring riders are adding the CB and are ticked off about the price of the module.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

This is getting confusing.

Delivered in Sept = had it
Delivered in Oct = didn't have it
Mine delivered in Nov = didn't have it
One at dealer now = has it.

No rhyme or reason

If I have to pay for it, I have to decide if I really need it. I will use the hand mike 90% of the time and only use the PTT switch only when I wear a helmet, which isn't very often.
Don't carry a passenger.
If I ever decide I want to try/use the voice activation, I will need it right?

Last edited by GARY DYER; 03-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

To use the voice activation for radio/GPS commands you will need headset.

I know that the Mic does not work on 14's. Some people have said there is a way around it not sure how they do that?

Don't wear a helmet that much myself. I use head set that can be used with out helmet. Like it much better than the mic but you do need the PTT switch to use it.

I use the CB allot so I added it so PTT is there for that.

Last edited by Moe55; 03-09-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moe55
To use the voice activation for radio/GPS commands you will need headset.

I know that the Mic does not work on 14's. Some people have said there is a way around it not sure how they do that?

Don't wear a helmet that much myself. I use head set that can be used with out helmet. Like it much better than the mic but you do need the PTT switch to use it.

I use the CB allot so I added it so PTT is there for that.
My dealer said he has added the CB and hand mike to a few '14 Street Glides so far and the mikes work.
I do not want anything covering my ears and blocking any outside noise, that's why I won't wear a headset and very rarely a helmet.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

The handheld mic worked when you pressed the button on the side of the mic with the voice commands and the intercom on my Limited but did not work for the CB. Please post what your dealer does to make the mic work for the CB. With my previous bikes I only used the handheld mic. I would rather not be wired to the bike with the HD headset to use the CB. And I would rather use the handheld mic than try to use the poorly placed PTT switch. I ride solo so I've never used the intercom.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:10 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

OK, here's the latest from tech support. The hand mike will work on the 2014's but you have to use the PTT switch or the headset. The button on the mike will not work.
Now I've got to decide if I want to put up with that. Sure sounds mickey mouse to me.
What a cluster f%$#.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Just thought of something. If I leave the mike on the handlebar bracket and yell real loud while holding the PTT switch, will someone be able to hear and understand me???

Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
OK, here's the latest from tech support. The hand mike will work on the 2014's but you have to use the PTT switch or the headset. The button on the mike will not work.
Now I've got to decide if I want to put up with that. Sure sounds mickey mouse to me.
What a cluster f%$#.
I was hoping the dealer had come up with a better solution than that.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Me too. This is really frustrating.

Now I'm wondering if I have to hold down the mike switch AND the PTT switch at the same time? You would think you would have to at least engage the switch on the mike first, otherwise how do you energize it?

Only F$#@% Harley would do something as stupid as this. Don't they realize there are hundreds of riders that don't want to wear something over their ears?

The PTT switch and CB is standard on the Limited - do they also have to do this crap in order to use the mike?

I'm wondering if there is enough interest or if it's even possible for some electrical genius to be able to rework something in order to use a hand mike normally?

Last edited by GARY DYER; 03-12-2014 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Ptt switch on 2014 triglide